CB bly of Detroit

mead107

LINK

FYI

For Tatum Bell and George Foster

Interesting bit from the article for those who wanted the Bills to trade for him....

Bly, a two-time Pro Bowl performer who earned a Super Bowl ring as a member of the 1999 St. Louis Rams, did not fit well in the Tampa 2 defensive scheme employed by second-year head coach Rod Marinelli and new defensive coordinator Joe Barry.

This changes the draft dynamic now. Since there is no corner worthy of that spot, Detroit has to grab one in FA or trade down . Intersting sequence of events can occur. Who trades up for who, and what player that wasnt going to be available is now there for us? Draw your own conclusions.

Does this open the door for McGahee to Denver for one of their two 3rd Round picks? I sure hope not.

Naw. Shanahan will swing a dead cat outside the stadium and hit some kid. Then he'll turn that kid into the next Terrell Davis.

This changes the draft dynamic now. Since there is no corner worthy of that spot, Detroit has to grab one in FA or trade down . Intersting sequence of events can occur. Who trades up for who, and what player that wasnt going to be available is now there for us? Draw your own conclusions.

Foster and Backus as their 2 tackles now, so no Joe Thomas? Maybe they do go with another top 10 WR.

Does this open the door for McGahee to Denver for one of their two 3rd Round picks? I sure hope not.

Probably not. I don't believe that Shanny thinks too highly of Willis' agent, Mr. Rosenhaus. Remeber the Clinton Portis hold-out/trade fiasco.

Foster and Backus as their 2 tackles now, so no Joe Thomas? Maybe they do go with another top 10 WR.

Or Millen grows a brain and trades down to a team that covets Calvin Johnson (assuming the Raiders take JeMarcus Russell) as the Lions already have Roy Williams and have locked up Mike Furrey to another season and rumors have them pursuing Kevin Curtis.

I swear to god if the Lions drafted Johnson I would hope someone would take out Millen. Not that Johnson isnt a gret pick, but with 20 other glaring needs I would hope they trade down. So that means Thomas with the 3rd or 4th pick now and possibly Branch and Okeye both being there.

Good point. Buying up WMG's contract would be no big penalty, IIRC

AFAIK, the draft pool $ for a team is a fixed, predictable cost. Perhaps getting a pick makes best financial sense. CIN getting rid of LB Simmons was a surprise assuming it was a sure thing that he doesn't have lingering injury - the subsequent, more in-depth n'paper article said that the team dumped him to free up $ for re-signing the less-expensive RFA's and wanted FA's. Might be - I've learned to be skeptical about B'gal $$$ utterances, though.

This new CBA and what on the surface seems to be a big capitulation - save 2 owners - to the union is a worrisome thing. I'm getting some feelings like when I lived in Pgh, when the union demands killed big steel. We certainly see that the NFL is scrambling after the last possible penny these days, and irritating a bunch of customers because of that.

I wonder if the process of killing the golden goose is afoot... :worthy:

No, but it may open the door for McGahee to Denver for their 4th or 5th round pick. Probably not, though.

No, but it may open the door for McGahee to Denver for their 4th or 5th round pick. Probably not, though.

McGahee's not leaving here for for a fourth or fifth. The Bills would rather keep him here to perform (see contract year) while still drafting his replacement in this coming draft. The Bills are the ones holding the cards here. Either the Bills get a second or a third, or he fulfills the remaining year on his contract. Remember, if McGahee's still with the Bills this season he'll be the first guy on the list teams will look to deal 2008 pick(s) if their runningback goes down with a serious injury.

I do not understand why Detroit needs another RB. I think that the one they have (Green? The dude from Va Tech) is fine for their system. Millen is a moron, can you imagine if he were our GM and he wasn't fired 2-3 years ago. This place would be going nuts.

I do not understand why Detroit needs another RB. I think that the one they have (Green? The dude from Va Tech) is fine for their system. Millen is a moron, can you imagine if he were our GM and he wasn't fired 2-3 years ago. This place would be going nuts.

Kevin Jones isn't expected to play til the 2nd half of the 2007 season. They definitely needed a back.

He got a 2nd round productive rb, a starting tackle, and a draft pick for an overrated corner who couldn't play in their system and wanted out. This is probably the greatest move he has ever made. Detroit robbed Denver.

I swear to god if the Lions drafted Johnson I would hope someone would take out Millen. Not that Johnson isnt a gret pick, but with 20 other glaring needs I would hope they trade down. So that means Thomas with the 3rd or 4th pick now and possibly Branch and Okeye both being there.

CJ would be the smartest thing they could do and I'm not kidding