Patrick Willis

Fewell733

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get'er done Marv.

22 reps in the bench--Chris Brown was disappointed...wonder how many times Chris can throw up 225... :blink:

PATRICK WILLIS A BIT DISAPPOINTING: Willis' bench press reps of 22 were a bit surprising. I'm going to look up his arm length which scouts do take into consideration when they're long. It's harder to keep putting that weight up when you're arms are longer. I thought he's at least get 24 or 25. Shouldn't hurt him too much though. ---

Great time for Willis!!

His stock is now boosted from this.

He ran much better than some smallish cover two linebacker candidates like Beason.

Why not have size and speed in the middle?

He is a legitimate guy to take with the 12th pick now -(some had thought it was a bit early)

Whats even better is he seems like a pretty smart guy. Stayed close to home to play ball, had a chance to go anywhere he wanted. Reminds me alot of Derrick Brooks when he was at FSU. A real ball hawk and speed to boot. Would you guys mind having a derrick Brooks for the next 8-10 years. I know I wouldnt

Great time for Willis!!

His stock is now boosted from this.

He ran much better than some smallish cover two linebacker candidates like Beason.

Why not have size and speed in the middle?

He is a legitimate guy to take with the 12th pick now -(some had thought it was a bit early)

He's always been a legitimate guy - except to the idiots like Mel that don;t watch any tape of teh guy actually playing.

Bills better hope he doesn't move into the top 10 and they lose out on both him and Okoye.

If Willis is there I think Marv should grab him at 12 and then with our 2nd round pick get a speed rushing Defensive End. A perfect fit in my mind would be a Quinten Moses if he falls to us. He is on the light side at 250, but he's long and fast and before his dissapointed senior season was expected to be a top 10 pick. With our 3rd round pick I think Marv goes for a RB. Some possibilities being Kenny Irons, Tony Hunt, Lorenzo Booker. Marv said he wants to upgrade our O-line through FA since young guys on the O-line take a while to develop sometimes.

I saw a video of Willis accepting an award, and he continued to thank his foster parents. He obviously had a tough life, and he appears to be very well grounded. It is great to see a kid like this make it big.

I won't be disappointed at all if this kid becomes a player on the Buffalo Bills Football Team.

I saw a video of Willis accepting an award, and he continued to thank his foster parents. He obviously had a tough life, and he appears to be very well grounded. It is great to see a kid like this make it big.

I won't be disappointed at all if this kid becomes a player on the Buffalo Bills Football Team.

As you can see, I'm leading the charge for this kid. He'll be an all-pro MLB for the Bills.

Official Draft Patrick Willis thread

If Willis is there I think Marv should grab him at 12 <b>and then with our 2nd round pick get a speed rushing Defensive End</b>. A perfect fit in my mind would be a Quinten Moses if he falls to us. He is on the light side at 250, but he's long and fast and before his dissapointed senior season was expected to be a top 10 pick. With our 3rd round pick I think Marv goes for a RB. Some possibilities being Kenny Irons, Tony Hunt, Lorenzo Booker. Marv said he wants to upgrade our O-line through FA since young guys on the O-line take a while to develop sometimes.

Don't think that will happen now that Kelsay has re-signed.

But does Willis have the pass coverage skills to play cover-2 MLB??? That's the big question right now.

I sure hope so, because I currently see no legitimate (and realistic) replacements for Fletcher-Baker, neither through free agency nor through the draft.

Agreed that there seems to be no alternative, and unfortunately this also seems to include Willis as an alternative to start at MLB in out cover 2.

I do agree with those who maintain that he likely would solidify the MLB slot for years, however, the likelihood is that it will take what is likely to be a painful number of starts for this player until he learns how to be a vet NFL LB.

If we get lucky he probably only costs us a couple of scores before he learns to read plays well enough not to be fooled into taking a step back to play the cover role of our MLB and the cagey OC has actually called a run up the middle or he takes a step forward on what looks like a run play only to have a speedy WR run a post pattern into his spot. If we happen to be well ahead or the game is an obvious loss for other reasons, these learning experiences will not be critical.

However, I suspect opposing OCs will be salivating at the chance to face a rookie starting MLB who is playing the Cover 2 and the learning curve necessary unless someone wants to provide some objective indication that this rookie will play like a vet (ex. is there any indication that he play a lot of zone pass coverage in college, is there some indication that he had a bad hair day or some other factor that led to his pass coverage struggles in the Senior Bowl, was his father a coach and he grew up watching pro plays all his life, something, anything).

With him starting we do not even go into exactly who and how the Bills are going to call plays with Fletch gone (second year players Simpson and Whitner or Crowell takes the job and practices his yelling so he calls plays across the field).

Willis at MLB probably pays off down the line but get set for another long year as we he for the future.

But does Willis have the pass coverage skills to play cover-2 MLB??? That's the big question right now.

I sure hope so, because I currently see no legitimate (and realistic) replacements for Fletcher-Baker, neither through free agency nor through the draft.

That is not the question regarding Willis. He can cover, and he can cover damn good. The question about Willis is can he handle interior lineman when they run right at him, and can he plug holes. Everyone knows he has the speed to track down running backs on sweeps and off tackle runs, but can he stick his nose in there and be physical? We will find out.

I am going to keep saying this, but if Willis ends up in Buffalo he is the Defensive Rookie of the year....if you look at what Fletcher did, and take in consideration the physical difference Willis could lead the league in tackles his rookie year. He's faster, taller (which means more than most think...about 6 inches taller) with his long arms he is able to keep seperation from would be blockers and he attacks!! instead of letting the ball carrier come to him.

a healthy Spikes and Crowell with Willis, and I will argue that we have the best 4-3 (defense) LBers in the league. Here is my hope that Okoye goes to Atl, and Branch to Miami so there is no other choice and no one can say marv screwed up.

I still think we should out bid and give up a 3rd for Randy Starks

Two plays from the Senior Bowl have me concerned about Patrick Willis.

Both happened in the First Quarter and are on the Senior Bowl's website highlight clips. HERE

1. On Jason Hill's highlight, it is Willis who makes the tackle... eventually... 35 yards downfield.

2. On Tony Hunt's first TD, Willis gets pancake blasted onto his AZZ by the pulling LG - Josh Beekman from Boston College.

The second play is shown in greater detail in the clip called "First Quarter Highlights", in the clip "Team North's Tony Hunt runs 7 yards for a TD"

Yes, it's only one game. Yes, the South didn't have a bunch of their stars showing up to play.

Yes, the LBs couldn't red dog. Yes, Willis was faster than the Safeties.

But I can't get over seeing him getting crumpled like a jack knife into the ground - butt first.

Yeah, he was the South's DMVP. But the score was 27 - 0

I'm not saying I'd be totally bummed if Marv picked him @12, but I am saying he's not the second coming of :worthy: Dick Butkus either.

Two plays from the Senior Bowl have me concerned about Patrick Willis.

Both happened in the First Quarter and are on the Senior Bowl's website highlight clips. HERE

1. On Jason Hill's highlight, it is Willis who makes the tackle... eventually... 35 yards downfield.

2. On Tony Hunt's first TD, Willis gets pancake blasted onto his AZZ by the pulling LG - Josh Beekman from Boston College.

The second play is shown in greater detail in the clip called "First Quarter Highlights", in the clip "Team North's Tony Hunt runs 7 yards for a TD"

Yes, it's only one game. Yes, the South didn't have a bunch of their stars showing up to play.

Yes, the LBs couldn't red dog. Yes, Willis was faster than the Safeties.

But I can't get over seeing him getting crumpled like a jack knife into the ground - butt first.

Yeah, he was the South's DMVP. But the score was 27 - 0

I'm not saying I'd be totally bummed if Marv picked him @12, but I am saying he's not the second coming of :worthy: Dick Butkus either.

If we simply draft Josh Beekman in the second round wouldn't that solve that problem or am I missing your point !

That is not the question regarding Willis. He can cover, and he can cover damn good. The question about Willis is can he handle interior lineman when they run right at him, and can he plug holes. Everyone knows he has the speed to track down running backs on sweeps and off tackle runs, but can he stick his nose in there and be physical? We will find out.

Exactly. He has speed and can tackle, but to me he is not even as good as LFB in shedding the blocking interior linemen.