Biggest bust of the 2007 Draft?

Mikie2times

I nominate Adrian Peterson for my biggest bust of the 2007 draft.

In 2004 Peterson started all 13 games, 2005 he started 7, and in 2006 he started 6. Two out of the three years he hasn’t even played half an NFL season. I’m not going to analyze how he got injured; just simply pointing out that he’s been injured a lot.

Regardless of his injury history his running style won’t help his durability in the pros, or the transition he will make from the college game. Peterson will fight for yards and take on a lot of extra contact. His great strength allows him to drag defenders and break tackles without lowering his pads. In college he could do this and keep his eyes up field, utilizing his speed to break so many long runs. In the pro’s it just won’t work like that, and those additional hits will wear on his 6’2 frame. People naturally think he’s a good between the tackles runner but he’s more of a stretch play home run type, that doesn’t know how to get you 3 or 4 yards consistently. In the pros he has to know how to get 4 yards instead of trying for 50 and getting a loss.

Overall I just see some serious injury concerns, and a large style transition Peterson must overcome to be a franchise back. I don’t think he can be a guy that will survive 5 years from now as a full time starter. He will make some highlight reels but will never live up to the expectations.

Runner Up- Brady Quinn

I think Troy Smith. I don't see it happening for him. He's not like Vince Young. His reads aren't all that great as well as some of his throws. PLus he's not a 1st round pick anymore and he showed why.

Think more top ten picks. I know it's hard because if the guy’s top ten he probably had a great career and is hyped, but we know we will see at least a couple top ten busts. I tried staying away from QB because it's almost a given that 50% will bust. A bust on a top 10 RB is one of the biggest busts/bad decisions a team can have IMO.

Think more top ten picks. I know it's hard because if the guy’s top ten he probably had a great career and is hyped, but we know we will see at least a couple top ten busts. I tried staying away from QB because it's almost a given that 50% will bust. A bust on a top 10 RB is one of the biggest busts/bad decisions a team can have IMO.

Ok then I will have agree with Adrian Peterson.

I think Troy Smith. I don't see it happening for him. He's not like Vince Young. His reads aren't all that great as well as some of his throws. PLus he's not a 1st round pick anymore and he showed why.

Seriously? His reads are about ten times better than Vince Young's right now--and probably better than Vince 5 years from now. I can see knocking Troy Smith for his size (and maybe his throws, like you do)--but he is a smart QB. Vince Young, on the other hand, has always been and probably will always be a 1-2 read QB. His freakish athleticism lets him get aways with it.

I think Troy Smith will be a 2nd or 3rd rounder and have a nice, if not Drew Brees-like, NFL career.

BTW, I choose for my bust the first player taken from Texas in this draft, especially if he's an o-lineman. :sick:

Seriously? His reads are about ten times better than Vince Young's right now--and probably better than Vince 5 years from now. I can see knocking Troy Smith for his size (and maybe his throws, like you do)--but he is a smart QB. Vince Young, on the other hand, has always been and probably will always be a 1-2 read QB. His freakish athleticism lets him get aways with it.

I think Troy Smith will be a 2nd or 3rd rounder and have a nice, if not Drew Brees-like, NFL career.

BTW, I choose for my bust the first player taken from Texas in this draft, especially if he's an o-lineman. :sick:

We shall see.

Leon Hall- Gives far too much cushion in coverage, and will give up a good number of catches. Overall I think this is a weak corner draft. Hall doesn't have good speed and will probably mainly be effective in only zone coverage in the pros.

Runner Up- Marshawn Lynch

I agree on Leon Hall.

I think he will fall in the rankings as the draft approaches(and more unheralded cb's prove to be faster than him at the combine).

How did he ever get the tab as best CB in the draft anyways? He doesn't seem to shut down any of the top receivers.

I have to disagree with Adrian Peterson. I think he will have a few good years, however the injuries will catch up to him and he will fizzle out. He has a good attitude and he just wants to win games. He had to share the load this past year and he was really unselfish about the situation.

I nominate Brady Quinn and Ted Ginn Jr. Brady Quinn padded stats against bad competition and was a product of not only the pro system, but was a benefactor of having pretty good receivers in Smardzadfjbgiarbb and McKnight. Ted Ginn Jr. to me is a glorified punt returner with good straight line speed. I think he will be the next Desmond Howard: good special teamer with little influence on offense.

I nominate Brady Quinn and Ted Ginn Jr. Brady Quinn padded stats against bad competition and was a product of not only the pro system, but was a benefactor of having pretty good receivers in Smardzadfjbgiarbb and McKnight. Ted Ginn Jr. to me is a glorified punt returner with good straight line speed. I think he will be the next Desmond Howard: good special teamer with little influence on offense.

Ya ted ginn might be one the most overrated players int he draft, i see him being a fater version of parrish.

I love parrish but lets face it he was not worth our first pick in that draft

......I tried staying away from QB because it's almost a given that 50% will bust. A bust on a top 10 RB is one of the biggest busts/bad decisions a team can have IMO.

You have your numbers a little skewed.

If you don't include the #1 pick you'd be pushing to get over 25% success in the top 10 at the QB position.....even with the #1s(who are just over 50%), the success rate is about 1 in 3.

At RB.....there has been a success rate of less than 1 in 3 selected in the top 10(over the past 20 years).....I can provide the list if you wish.

Drafting star RBs is not as easy as most on this board think.

I'd say that over 50% of all top ten picks are busts(for the team that selected them).....though I haven't crunched the numbers on that one.

Top 10 QBs & RBs have a similar success rate over the past 20 years....1 in 3 succeeds......2 in 3 busts(for the team selecting them).

I don't know why but I feel like Troy Smith might be another Brad Banks. Although Smith appears to be a better athlete and might end up getting a shot in the NFL, but think he'll likely end up being a 3rd/early 4th Round pick where Banks was never drafted by a NFL team.

I think Brady Quinn has bust written all over him...the guy cant throw a consistant spiral and the next big game he wins will be his first...any QB can put up stats against Army and Navy

Peyton Manning doesn't throw a tight spiral either but he's ok. As for Peterson I have seen the kid run quite a bit since I live in Big 12 country. I think his problems will come from injuries because he runs very tall and exposes a lot of his body to punishing hit, I think he'll be effective but only for a few years. Anyone who says he fumbles has watched very little of this kid and is talking out of his or her ass.

Better than Vince 5 years from now? I want some of what you're smoking.

Adrian Peterson fumbles? When?

There is so much misinformation int his thread its sickening.