ESPN Sportscenter: Who will be the surprise team next year?

ajzepp

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before the 2004 draft Jaworski predicted Losman would be the best QB to come out of that draft so he has a bit of a vested interest in his prediction.

Well, Jaworski is infinitely more intelligent that Irvin (who isn't?), so I'd have to say that Jaws is right on both counts - both JP and the Bills will shock NFL fans this season.

19 and 0 baby!!!!

I find it amazing how much of an impact these ESPN guys have on sports fans.

When Mort talked about reach etc...he was grilled here to no tomorrow...if the Bills are disrespected by Clayton, he is a martian...but if Jaws says we are the suprise team in 2007, then he is Knighted in Buffalo.

Unreal.

I find it amazing how much of an impact these ESPN guys have on sports fans.

When Mort talked about reach etc...he was grilled here to no tomorrow...if the Bills are disrespected by Clayton, he is a martian...but if Jaws says we are the suprise team in 2007, then he is Knighted in Buffalo.

Unreal.

Dude....we've not been in the playoffs for how many years now? When I hear someone in the national media giving us props for the upcoming season, I get excited. Reason being, this team hasn't given us a whole helluva lot to get excited about this entire decade, so if I have to rely on Jaworski to give me a little hope for next year, I'm damn well gonna do it.

The reason why some peoples opinions change on these media people is because we're BIASED FANS OF THE BUFFALO BILLS. We're not required to be consistent....

Nothing says irrelevant like picking next year's surprise team before free agency, the draft, and training camp have happened.

And then there's the fact that if you pick a team to be a surprise and then they follow through, it's not really a surprise, is it?

Well, Jaworski is infinitely more intelligent that Irvin (who isn't?), so I'd have to say that Jaws is right on both counts - both JP and the Bills will shock NFL fans this season.

19 and 0 baby!!!!

I love the characteristicly unbridled optimism that you bring to this board, and I have to concur with you :rolleyes:

OTOH, Irvin is a space cadet. Listening to him call in on the Dan Patrick radio show resulted in the dispossesion of brain cells. He makes causual observations laced with the foggy ineptness of a post day drug binge (ie insinuating Tony Romo has "black" in him because of his athletic ability). How does he not get fired for saying something like that :rolleyes: when Steve Lyons (announcer for FOX MLB) gets fired for saying something about Lou Pinella stealing his wallet?

The Bills need to beat the Patriots at least once, and they need to win the division. With four games against Miami and the NYJ, it's the easiest way into the playoffs.

The Wild Card will always be tough. I expect Cincy to tighten the reigns and limit the off-field distractions. Even still, they were sitting at 8-5 and in prime position this year before losing their last three. I don't anticipate Big Ben nose-diving into the windshield of a car this offseason, and you know the Steelers will draft well. Baltimore may have been overrated or lucky, but they did go 13-3. San Diego will be in the mix, along with Denver. And KC made the playoffs this year. Indy will get in, and Jacksonville will be looming around like usual, as will the Titans.

By surprise team, I assume they're talking playoffs. 2nd place in the AFC East with a 9-7 or 8-8 record and no playoffs wouldn't qualify as a surprise to me.

Inside the division, it's still the Pats' title to lose. The Jets are tough to put a finger on -- a playoff team in '06 but Buffalo made them look bad late in the season. Miami will, I believe, take a step back.

Cincy -- who the hell knows? They have an explosive offense but a lot of head cases. Don't underestimate the departure of Cowher in Schittsburgh. Baltimore is in BAD shape -- 2006 was their year to do it. Indy and San Diego will be very tough. Tennessee was a nice story but I think folks now have game film on Vince and will defense him differently -- they still have too many holes elsewhere. Denver figures to be in the mix, but I'm not sold on KC. Trent Green isn't getting any younger. Jacksonville will have a great ground game but I still question the QB play.

What this all means, I suppose, is that I expect the Bills to certainly contend for the Wild Card, and if they're able to catch a few breaks perhaps they finally give the Pats a run for their money in the division.

Jaws is one of the few people on that network who actually studies and knows the game of football. Unlike the other "experts" who either continue to ignore or ridicule JP, Jaws (like most of us) saw a QB who improved leaps and bounds over the final eight weeks of the season. If it were Irvin or Salisbury or another goof on ESPN I wouldn't think too much of it. But coming from Jaws, it means something I think.

Why he's not on the MNF telecasts and Theismann is, is beyond me.

You sound like me, bro. I have always admired Jaws' unmatched analytical skills. This guy is the only one I place any trust in when it comes to talking X's and O's on ESPN. When they were looking for a MNF team the year they went with Miller and Fouts with Al, I picked Jaws. My color man was a goof pick (Fred Willard....Best in Show).....which I actually really think would have been better than Miller and Cornheiser....think about it...he'd wear loud outfits and just chime in with his weird thoughts....but I digress..

I love watching Jaws tear apart Merril Hodge on that one ESPN show. He just makes so much more sense and opens my eyes to so much more when breaking down offenses and defenses.

i watched the Super Bowl with people from New Orleans, Oklahoma, Boston, Philly and Washington and they all said theyd take Losman over Rex BEFORE the game.

it wasnt much of a question after it

Easily. JP is 2 inches taller than Rex and has better vision over the line. He's more mobile. A better all-around athlete. Throws better on the run. He has a better long ball. And the sacks that JP has taken are from the opposing team's defence, not the self-sacks that Rex is renowned for!

19 and 0 baby!!!!

Yes, I agree. Jaws actually studies the tapes and makes his statements based on what he sees on tape and usually rolls the tape as he is making his statements. When M. Irvin speaks he sounds like a dumbass crack head pan handling on the street corner. When he drifts from the public eye cant happen soon enough.

By surprise team, I assume they're talking playoffs. 2nd place in the AFC East with a 9-7 or 8-8 record and no playoffs wouldn't qualify as a surprise to me.

100%.....Plus we are going to be playing the physically tough NFC East and AFC North as our division rivals....We will have to win the AFC East to make it to the playoffs.

irvin won't admit there's a team in buffalo, or even a city for that matter. when he's on now i turn the channel...started with the never-ending TO interviews during the season and i officially cut him off with the supreme classless maneuver of trash talking after he was elected to the HOF.

I don't think it has got anything to do with Irvin. It is more a fact that both the NFL Network and ESPN just plain ignore the non fancy teams and will spend hours interviewing the personal assistant of TO rather than talking to a Marv Levy or even a Bills player....It is the nature of the business.

I don't think it has got anything to do with Irvin. It is more a fact that both the NFL Network and ESPN just plain ignore the non fancy teams and will spend hours interviewing the personal assistant of TO rather than talking to a Marv Levy or even a Bills player....It is the nature of the business.

Agreed....they spend the bulk of their time on the teams that most of the country cares about. Unfortunately, the Bills don't fall into that category. The only way they will is if they start winning consistently, and only *maybe* then will we see more ESPN "experts" who care.

Exactly.

Sirius NFL Radio is the same way. They spend 50-60% of their time talking about the NFC East. Today, Pat Kirwin spent almost 45 minutes of one 1 hour time block talking about the Redskins' cap problems.

They should actually be called Sirius NFL EAST Radio. Tune in on Monday mornings during the season and you'll know what I mean. Ugggh! :wallbash:

The NFL shows are all the same...I am guilty of watching all the time but as I continue to study the game in my pursuit of becoming a head coach at some level higher than Pop Warner, I find that the so-called "experts" are idiots...espcially Irvin and Mel Kiper. Kiper is probably the biggest moron of them all. He was bashing the Bills for drafting Whitner, McCargo, Youbouty and Simpson...all of whom could have gone as high as the first round and all of whom will be contributors for the Bills if they already aren't. This year the mock drafts have the Bills taking TEs and CBs which in my opinion are not needs even if we lose Nate C. These guys don't do their homework they just throw out whatever they think with nothing to back it up. Screw them all! GO BILLS Jaws is right...the sleeper team of 2007 is the Bills who are finally going to circle the wagon for the first time since the 1960s and win a Championship in Western NY. JP and Evans will lead the way...

losman had better numbers than eli and ben this season, and rivers has the best player in football carrying him...

hes not that far off

Rivers has an amazing team built around him.

Best HB currently

Amazing TE

Good WR

Great OL

Great D

I say give any of these superstar QB's (Brady, Manning etc etc) the adversity that JP has had to go through in the last 2 years and we'd be surprised who would stink up the place.

Put JP on the Pats, the Chargers or the Colts and he would produce as much as the 'greats'

Rivers is nothing without the team around him.