Which CB should the Bills have

If for some reason the Bills do not retain Nate Clements, is Asante Samuel a good free agent pick up? If not, who else may be available to sign?

if the Bills don't spend big money on the known quantity in Nate, they sure aren't going to spend it on another CB.

Agree or not, but it seems to be the Bills philosophy that they don't need a high paid CB to make the Cover-2 work.

If for some reason the Bills do not retain Nate Clements, is Asante Samuel a good free agent pick up? If not, who else may be available to sign?

Asante Samuels will likely cost more than Clements, so I think we can count him out.

I think we'd look at re-signing Kiwaukee Thomas first and foremost. Then maybe get a bargain-bin guy like David Macklin to compete for a roster spot.

Ir you're looking for a true replacement for Clements, it will have to be in the first round of the draft.

From my understanding he is a restricted free-agent.

Haper's a six year veteran, he's no way going to be restricted.

According to this article, Roderick Hood of the Eagles could be pursued by the Bills.

I'm guessing the writer of that article fails to realize the Bills are one of the top teams in terms of cap space. Of course he might be assuming we're going to go on the cheap and therefore Hood might be an option. Hood does have some upside and put up some good numbers as a nickel/spot starter in Philly but much rather see him brought in to compete with a McGee then replace a Pro Bowl caliber player like Clements.

There seems to be four or five defensive backs in the top twenty five, and I like Wade out of Tennessee as well. Not to fall in love with a player based on one play but the late add cornerback from East Carolina University looked pretty darn good on that interception in the Senior Bowl and might be worth looking at. I suspect we'll be looking pretty seriously at other free agents if we can't work a deal with Clements. i'm naive, but it still seems to me that we should be able to work a deal with Clements. We're here and he's here, he's a team leader, he's familiar with our defense, and he's probably in his "last move" mode. Those seem to be pretty good facts justifying his staying here, all other things (meaning money of course) being equal. On the other hand I can see Snyder coming in and offering an OUTRAGEOUS contract, and they we'd have to go our own free agency route to get a replacement.

Asante Samuels will likely cost more than Clements, so I think we can count him out.

I think we'd look at re-signing Kiwaukee Thomas first and foremost. Then maybe get a bargain-bin guy like David Macklin to compete for a roster spot.

Ir you're looking for a true replacement for Clements, it will have to be in the first round of the draft.

I think the Bills recognize that Samuel is the better CB and will let Nate go in order to sign Asante Samuel to a mega-deal!

I'm guessing the writer of that article fails to realize the Bills are one of the top teams in terms of cap space. Of course he might be assuming we're going to go on the cheap and therefore Hood might be an option. Hood does have some upside and put up some good numbers as a nickel/spot starter in Philly but much rather see him brought in to compete with a McGee then replace a Pro Bowl caliber player like Clements.

Also, signing Hood would be very similar in style to what the team did last year in free agency, when instead of tabbing big names, they went after guys that they thought were on the cusp of being quality players.

The site I always go by lists him as an Unrestricted Free Agent. It could be wrong though. But it's generally pretty reliable.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/nfl/freeagentsDB.html

Another good site is http://www.theredzone.org/2007/freeagents/...asp?Position=CB

Also, signing Hood would be very similar in style to what the team did last year in free agency, when instead of tabbing big names, they went after guys that they thought were on the cusp of being quality players.

True but feel a good majority of the guys we brought in were not full time starters, I mean the only guy that we could honestly say was a full time starter that we brought in through free agency was Melvin Fowler. As although Triplett and Royal started all season they also weren't asked to be on the field on all three downs each and every game. That's why I would have issues if let Nate walk with no form of compensation. I know it's debateable if Nate's worth the money he's going to be seeking in free agency but if we don't give it to him someone else will and the question will be is the guy(s) we bring in to replace him will they be as good as Nate and the money as a collection would cost? As sometimes the sum is less than the total of the parts. I guess it's all a matter of prespective if think a Nate and Kris Dielman signing would be worth more (or less) than a Eric Steinbach and Roderick Hood could be. To me I prefer the first as Nate's a known quantity where everyone else is just pure speculation as what they could do here.