Do OV Splits still exist?

The Poojer

Here's all I could come up with.

linky

I remember Rolling Rock in the squat little bottles too. I'm not sure if they still market those seeing as how they are now a microbrew.

I did search under splits and ponys and really didn't come up with anything.

Splits used to be popular at catered events, like weddings. The idea there was that folks were socializing, and would leave their bottle behind when they chatted. And they did.

So a 7 oz. beer that was consumed made more sense than a 12 oz. one left on a table with some swill remaining.

Few things better than Mulligans Brick Bar and ordering a case of OV Splits when they just poured a bunch of ice over it. Thems were the days.

Beat me to it...that was EXACTLY what I remembered. I knew one of the bartenders who would sell me a case at cost. We'd walk around with our "case" and hand out beers to all the cuties.

Splits used to be popular at catered events, like weddings. The idea there was that folks were socializing, and would leave their bottle behind when they chatted. And they did.

So a 7 oz. beer that was consumed made more sense than a 12 oz. one left on a table with some swill remaining.

Neat! Wasn't there a term out there for them?... Had something to do with wedding/party I think?... The term escapes me, maybe I am thinking of something else?... Maybe it was something with High Life or for some reason I am thinkingSimon Pure?, that was "Old Abbey Ale"though?... I know Coors has the moniker Banquet Beer on it...

??

And the "SUV" of the "split/pony"... The "Genny Pounder"... All 16 oz. and cheaper by volume!

:)

Neat! Wasn't there a term out there for them?... Had something to do with wedding/party I think?... The term escapes me, maybe I am thinking of something else?... Maybe it was something with High Life or for some reason I am thinkingSimon Pure?, that was "Old Abbey Ale"though?... I know Coors has the moniker Banquet Beer on it...

??

And the "SUV" of the "split/pony"... The "Genny Pounder"... All 16 oz. and cheaper by volume!

:wallbash:

Dunno - I only heard them called splits. Jones Brewery, Smithton, PA, used to sell a beer named "Esquire" that came only in splits - 'twas a smooth brew, unlike their main product - Stoney's.

I do lament the virtual demise of the quart. I used to buy a lot of beer that way - something very satisfying about swilling a quart of cheap beer in a paper bag.

Few things better than Mulligans Brick Bar and ordering a case of OV Splits when they just poured a bunch of ice over it. Thems were the days.

Also made sure you kept your thumb over the top - lest your drunk friend hit the top to make you chug it. Of course - depending on the drunkness of your friend - after a while he may just smash your thumb instead - then get a nice shower of OV from you...

God I loved the Brick Bar... Monday night was Rock n' Roll night - still remember the poster in the back - "For Ladies and Gentlemen of the Rock and Roll Persuasion"...

One of my last nights there ever Darryl Talley came in - the Earl of Bud showed up (and we had been to a Bisons game at the Rockpile earlier that day and he had served us there - he got plenty of splits from us that night "You Got One!!!") - the guy who played the trumpet on the bar caught fire, a drunken 'friend' of one of my friends punched another one of my friends in the face 'for fun' and broke his nose (but he laughed it off and just kept drinking to numb the pain), and it also was my last late night run to Mighty Taco. Those were the days...

Dunno - I only heard them called splits. Jones Brewery, Smithton, PA, used to sell a beer named "Esquire" that came only in splits - 'twas a smooth brew, unlike their main product - Stoney's.

I do lament the virtual demise of the quart. I used to buy a lot of beer that way - something very satisfying about swilling a quart of cheap beer in a paper bag.

I think you can still get the "40 Dog"... Heck, Labatt even sells them them...

:wacko: