Jim Kelly

I hope Rex Grossman can produce a top five pitiful SB performance and knock Jimbo down (or up) a notch

I am really getting a kick out of the way everyone is so sure Rex Grossman is going to blow the Super Bowl for the Bears...if I could, I would be laying money on the Bears right now...

Grossman had 4 horrible games this year, 5 so-so games, and 7 outstanding games...his team managed to win 13 of those games. Not unlike our QB in Buffalo.

Grossman has performed much better in the playoffs than most predicted thus far....I think the Colts are in for a surprise!

I also find it strange that Payton Manning is not available to the media on the first media day...could the Colts be trying to hide his thumb injury?

I am really getting a kick out of the way everyone is so sure Rex Grossman is going to blow the Super Bowl for the Bears...if I could, I would be laying money on the Bears right now...

Grossman had 4 horrible games this year, 5 so-so games, and 7 outstanding games...his team managed to win 13 of those games. Not unlike our QB in Buffalo.

Grossman has performed much better in the playoffs than most predicted thus far....I think the Colts are in for a surprise!

I also find it strange that Payton Manning is not available to the media on the first media day...could the Colts be trying to hide his thumb injury?

Completely agree and I made wager with the Bears getting 7 points. Looks like easy money to me. Grossman has played fairly well in 2 playoff games and I think he'll do enough to help the Bears win Sunday.

Who've they beaten? Really? Green Bay? Minnesota? Arizona? Detroit?

The only even decent wins they have are versus the Jets and Giants, both of whom were exposed later.

The Bears can definitely win the SB, but I wouldn't put a dime on them because it's just as likely they get absolutely rolled.

Who've they beaten? Really? Green Bay? Minnesota? Arizona? Detroit?

The only even decent wins they have are versus the Jets and Giants, both of whom were exposed later.

The Bears can definitely win the SB, but I wouldn't put a dime on them because it's just as likely they get absolutely rolled.

Maybe.

But, I think people are exaggerating how bad they have been, and are letting one very good half of football by the Colts, albeit against a good Patritots team, blind them to some of the Colts blemishes as well. Maybe it is the Colts turn to be exposed?

Whenever a team does something that has been uncharacteristic of them all season (in this case, the Colts stopping the run) I am always skeptical when push comes to shove. With all the crap coming Grossman's way the last two months, I can't help but be somewhat impressed with his playoff performances. I think he is a lot tougher than people realize.

Sorry, I just don't trust the Colts defense in this one. They couldn't stop the run all season, until the playoffs. Given two weeks to look at film of the Colts playoff defense, I just have a hunch that Lovey and company figure out a way to run the ball down their throats. If the Bears can do that, I think they have big edge on defense, and a huge advantage on special teams. Running the ball takes some of the heat off of Grossman...he has shown to be proficient enough at times.

I am not saying the Bears runaway with this one, hell, maybe they even lose...but I would take them and the points. The Colts haven't been nearly as good as everyone seems to think, either. If the Bears employ the Giants game plan from SB 25 (I am sure you remember) and grind the clock out, I think they have a great chance of covering the spread, and possibly even winning the game outright.

I guess I am just not sure why everyone thinks this is going to be a lopsided Colts victory. I see a fairly modest score (maybe 24-20 kind of game) which either team could win. The Colts had a huge win last week, but Manning and Harrison have been known to disappear in big games as well. I think we are in for a very good game...

Now, that being said, I am sure the Colts will go out and destroy the Bears! :)

Whenever a team does something that has been uncharacteristic of them all season (in this case, the Colts stopping the run) I am always skeptical when push comes to shove. With all the crap coming Grossman's way the last two months, I can't help but be somewhat impressed with his playoff performances. I think he is a lot tougher than people realize.

This seems contradictory to me.

Hmmm...

You mean like Rex Grossman not committing that many game changing errors in the playoffs when his regular season is littered with them? That kind of uncharacteristic thing?

This seems contradictory to me.

Why?

Grossman had 7 games this past season where his QB rating was over 100. He had 5 where it was in the 70-80's...and 4 where it was in the sub-50 range. I know QB ratings are flawed, and don't tell the whole story, but they do reflect some level of efficency. When the QB rating is very low, you can be sure the QB played pretty badly. When it is high, you can at least assume he wasn't all bad that day. Grossman had 12 decent to good games this season, and 4 awful games. Sure, it is possble he puts up a "stinker", but I have a feeling he won't. His stats in the Saints game were not great, but he made the few plays he really needed to, to contribute to that victory. When he has played very poorly, more often than not, his team has bailed him out.

So, the Bears play in a weak division. The Colts struggled, and barely beat, some pretty mediocre teams this year. Hell, they even lost to some of them.

Manning and Tom Brady had some less than steallar performances (by their standards) this year as well. We seem to be seeing those really bad games more often these days. Maybe it is the rule changes, or something inherent in the ways the game has changed.

I just think this is going to be a much closer game than most are saying it will be. I think the whole, "Manning vs Grossman? Give me the Colts!" argument is weak. If history implies that Grossman will come up small, the same argument could be made about Manning. He came up big last week, I give him all the credit. The other side of that is, though, the Patriots collapsed.

Grossman will have to be very patient trying to beat the Cover2 pass defense.

He can make plays downfield with good accuracy, sometimes he gambles and let his WR make the play for him, but he will have to pick his spots finding his TEs and RBs early in the game with an occasional bomb to Berrian.

The question is can he be patient enough, or be able to dink and dunk the Colt´s defense consistently?

I'm inclined to think that he won´t be able to do so in this game. But we´ll see.

I think Grossman will not be the one to lose the game. I liken this Bears team to the Tampa Bay Bucs of 2002:

league's top defense under a guy named Dungy

upset of the Eagles in a late win

a so-so QB

the first matchup of best offense vs. best defense

Be afraid, Peyton.

Grossman will have to be very patient trying to beat the Cover2 pass defense.

He can make plays downfield with good accuracy, sometimes he gambles and let his WR make the play for him, but he will have to pick his spots finding his TEs and RBs early in the game with an occasional bomb to Berrian.

The question is can he be patient enough, or be able to dink and dunk the Colt´s defense consistently?

I'm inclined to think that he won´t be able to do so in this game. But we´ll see.

Against the Saints, part of the reason Grossman had such bad stats, the game plan called for him to make two reads, if they weren't there, he was supposed to chuck the ball away. I don't think the Colts defense is that superior to the Saints. I think the Bears will be able to pound the ball on the ground...we have all seen what happens when you can do that, against a team with a good offense.

Tom Brady should be ranked #1 worst seeing as how his rating from 9 yards to 13.5 yards is only 34.7/8. HE also cant throw downfield during the crescent moon and during the time his girlfriend is on her menstrual cycle.

And simply because I hate him and envious of him.

SIncerely

AKC

I hope Rex Grossman can produce a top five pitiful SB performance and knock Jimbo down (or up) a notch

I would be money on the Bears if I could. Peyton will soon be on that list as he will be playing against a Florida QB and a safety (Alex Brown) who is also a Gator. Oh yeah and this is his first opportunity to really suck on the biggest stage. He's done it at every level so why should this year be any different? Peyton may even knock Jimbo down a notch on that list of Super Bowl ineptitude.

Maybe.

But, I think people are exaggerating how bad they have been, and are letting one very good half of football by the Colts, albeit against a good Patritots team, blind them to some of the Colts blemishes as well. Maybe it is the Colts turn to be exposed?

Sorry, I just don't trust the Colts defense in this one. They couldn't stop the run all season, until the playoffs. Given two weeks to look at film of the Colts playoff defense, I just have a hunch that Lovey and company figure out a way to run the ball down their throats. If the Bears can do that, I think they have big edge on defense, and a huge advantage on special teams. Running the ball takes some of the heat off of Grossman...he has shown to be proficient enough at times.

I am not saying the Bears runaway with this one, hell, maybe they even lose...but I would take them and the points. The Colts haven't been nearly as good as everyone seems to think, either. If the Bears employ the Giants game plan from SB 25 (I am sure you remember) and grind the clock out, I think they have a great chance of covering the spread, and possibly even winning the game outright.

I guess I am just not sure why everyone thinks this is going to be a lopsided Colts victory. I see a fairly modest score (maybe 24-20 kind of game) which either team could win. The Colts had a huge win last week, but Manning and Harrison have been known to disappear in big games as well. I think we are in for a very good game...

Now, that being said, I am sure the Colts will go out and destroy the Bears! :)

I agree. I try not to wager on postseason games because I generally think there's little value. I do think it's a case of an inflated line cause it's the SB though: I mean, no way are the Colts favored by 7 on a neutral field in the reg. season.

That special teams edge is an important point: it basically kept the Pats in the game singlehandily and they're not nearly as good as the Bears in that department.

I think Grossman will not be the one to lose the game. I liken this Bears team to the Tampa Bay Bucs of 2002:

league's top defense under a guy named Dungy

upset of the Eagles in a late win

a so-so QB

the first matchup of best offense vs. best defense

Be afraid, Peyton.

A good analogy, but I don't fully buy the Grossman/Johnson comparison. When Johnson played in the Super Bowl, he was young enough to be on the top of his game, but old enough to be a savvy veteran. He's had a pretty good career: 83.1 QB rating, 6.74 yards per attempt. Grossman's career passer rating is 72.4, and his career YPA is 6.66.