Drew Rosenhaus on the radio today.

Hate to put a damper on the Willis circle-jerk, but you really think Rosenhaus is telling the truth?

This is the same guy who faked being on the phone during the draft to act like teams were lining up to pick him.

... but carry on... ;)

Rosenhaus is a whore. He will want to get a deal done because that's what puts money in his pocket. He'll rattle his swords publically and say the right things at the right time in whatever way supports his cause. Truth or not. He has to know that Willis's value is mediocre right now and will opt for the "bird in the hand" unless he feels the upside in waiting along with the risk of waiting is really worth it. He'll encourage Willis to sign a new deal if it's best for himself (Drew). He'll BS Willis as much as the Bills if that is what is necessary to get the deal done.

I don't mind Rosenhaus. He does what any agent or lawyer would do, and that's get the best deal for his client. As for McGahee, I dont think right now he's more valuable to the Bills than he is to any other team. We don't have a running back to really replace him right now, and we'd rather no waste a day 1 pick on one either. At the same time, other teams can that do need a running back can get one at a cheaper price in the draft instead of trading for McGahee and extending him. Financially it makes sense that McGahee gets a modest extension.

Rosenhaus is a whore. He will want to get a deal done because that's what puts money in his pocket. He'll rattle his swords publically and say the right things at the right time in whatever way supports his cause. Truth or not. He has to know that Willis's value is mediocre right now and will opt for the "bird in the hand" unless he feels the upside in waiting along with the risk of waiting is really worth it. He'll encourage Willis to sign a new deal if it's best for himself (Drew). He'll BS Willis as much as the Bills if that is what is necessary to get the deal done.

Yes, and this is obviously born out by the fact that his client list has continued to dwindle over the years as players have come to realize this and sign with an agent who actually does deals that benefits his clients! :blink:

BTW, what Drew says must be a big fat lie because Jerry Sullivan says that the extension Drew is seeking for Willis is in the neighborhood of what he got for the Edge, and because it is really designed to precipitate a holdout to poison the waters and force a trade. :(

And if the fart-sniffing weasel says it, it must be true! :wallbash:

Rosenhaus is very smart. Running backs in general have a very short shelf life, and MaGahee has already had some pretty bad injuries. It makes a ton of sense for him to get his client a new contract, because if Willis gets injured this year, his value will be considerably less, if anything at all.

I thought it dumb of Nate to wait until free agency when one would think that he could have locked in to a big contract in 06 and have security for the future, but he proved me wrong. Now, he is a ufa, there is a new and much larger cap, and a weak free agent class to boot.

It' all good if you are Nate.

As for Willis, it's all good if you are Marv Levy. With 36 million or more in cap space, signing him won't make a dent. He could also free up Rosenhaus to negotiate a trade for him, and only make the deal if it suits him.

The stuff going on with Willis doesn't bother me at all. As a matter of fact, I like it.

Jmo.

If they are going to re-sign Willis it's like this. Nice signing bonus; thank you very much for the work you've done. Low per-year salary, high incentives. That's all I'd do for a running back with years on him in this league. You can too often get a Jones-Drew with a pick outside of the first round to worry about throwing top-dollar to a non-elite back.

said that they are close on a contract extension for Willis.

That's just effing fantastic, I guess that B-flo will have solid production from Mr. Inconsistent on 2/16 of it's schedule for next 10 years (Jets).

I truly don't believe that the Bills will extend him, it will go strongly against Levy in my opinion.

Good RB's are a dime a dozen now in the NFL and coming out of college.

Willis only plays well against the Jets or when he is competing for a starting spot (Travis Henry debacle)

"So Drew, what exactly have you done for T.O. other than get him kicked off the team?"

"Next question."

In fairness to DR, he does need some cooperation from his clients, he's not a miracle worker.

Rosenhaus is a phenomenal agent -- one thing that he understands (that many of his peers don't) is that holding out hurts the client more than it helps them.

Is that Sarcasm? If it is than i apologize in advance for this reply but in fact the inverse is true: Drew Rosenhaus is known for having players hold out or threaten to hold out. Im thinking TO and Javon Walker, Fred Taylor (currently dissapointed the jags didn't enter into negotiations with him prior to the off-season) ditto for London Fletcher those are just the ones off the top of my head but he is know for aggressive negotiation tactics in which he tries to have his players compensated if they performance exceeds what the team is "paying for" his whole mantra is that if a team can cut a player who is making too much money and underperforming than the player who is playing really well for not much money should be able to force his team into compensating him for it.

Is that Sarcasm? If it is than i apologize in advance for this reply but in fact the inverse is true: Drew Rosenhaus is known for having players hold out or threaten to hold out. Im thinking TO and Javon Walker, Fred Taylor (currently dissapointed the jags didn't enter into negotiations with him prior to the off-season) ditto for London Fletcher those are just the ones off the top of my head but he is know for aggressive negotiation tactics in which he tries to have his players compensated if they performance exceeds what the team is "paying for" his whole mantra is that if a team can cut a player who is making too much money and underperforming than the player who is playing really well for not much money should be able to force his team into compensating him for it.

i hate to stand up for rosensleaze, but if you look back, most of his big name, high profile "holdouts" (in quotes because they didnt actually hold out), actually fired their agents and hired rosenhaus. so its not as if it was all rosenhaus's idea. the players have to want to cause a stink too.

If they ARE signing willis, I wouldn't be surprised to see a sign n' trade at some point before or during the NFL draft. Willis is a helluva blocker, when he doesn't whiff. He's a helluva runner, when he's in space past the first line of defense. He's a helluva guy when he's not opening his mouth. I know he's harmless and has a good heart and is well liked and plays through pain, but he hasn't lived up to his billing thus far, and clearly has gaps in his game. He's simply not consistent enough to rely on. I hope we let him play through this year, we might get some stellar play, as if we met the jets 16 times. Who knows. But one thing that has always bugged me that I never knew about Willis until I started paying very close attention to his game (due to our rushing stats sucking): He has no lateral bounce, which limits his options even if he SEES a hole, which I'm not convinced he's particularly good at. When you DO see him bounce laterally, it's not explosive, it's merely a wasted half a second. He's explosive after his third step, and all too often it's too late by then.

That was a great move actually. And I read an article last year that was also linked here that said that most teams and GMs actually like Rosenhaus a lot. That he knows his job, and does his homework, and it rarely takes a lot of time to get deals done and he does what he says. I will try to find it when I get some time. I think he's a total obnoxious ass myself, but I think he's a good agent.

If it's the article I'm thinking of it also went on to say that he rarely has players hold out and he doens't think it's in their best interests. It's amazing how many fans believe he's the king of hold outs went the opposite it actually true.

Are you kidding me? Javon Walker actually came back to play for the Packers because Rosenhaus told him to... and the result? He tore his ACL in the first game of the season.

When did TO hold out? I thought so. He pushed for a trade to the Eagles, but never held out... and actually, TO was with another agent at the time.

As for Fletch, you have zero argument there.

Bottom line is that Rosenhaus is a good agent and understands that players should be in camp. His history indicates that.