Willis Responds

And people wonder no one ever wants to say anything in a press conference or to a newspaper reporter. No matter what they say, it gets misconstrued and comes out bad to someone. First Willis is damned because he made a stupid statement. Now he's damned because he apologized.

Face it, many here appear to hate Willis no matter what he does on or off the field. And long after he's gone, many of these same people will be hatin on another player for some reason or another. I mean, come on, the guy asked for a contract extension so he can play in Buffalo longer; and even that gets turned around into a negative. I think that pretty well sums up the irrationality of the anti-Willis crowd.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Face it, many here appear to hate Willis no matter what he does on or off the field. And long after he's gone, many of these same people will be hatin on another player for some reason or another.

no, those are the same people that will be whining about how bad our running game is, how we never should have let willis go and calling for the firing of jauron.

"My family and I have made our home here and enjoy the hospitality of the city."

Does that include all 3 of his babies and their mothers?

I can't believe it took 3 pages before someone brought it up.

Willis Mcgahee wouldn't be facing any of this criticism if he stepped up his game.

I am not surprised that it "proves nothing" to you.

It is funny that, when JP bought a place in Buffalo, people were doing cart wheels, but when WM bought a house there, people give him no credit and suspect some ulterior motive.

By the way, the Buffalo real estate market is not exactly where fortunes have been made in recent years.

i wasn't doing cartwheels when jp bought a house here. i couldn't care less. and i don't care if willis buys one. in both cases, their actions as athletes and teammates are what i base my opinion on. when i watch willis not run as hard on cold days i know he doesn't want to be here. when i see him run to miami when the rest of the team is here working out, i know he doesn't want to be here. when he flips off a stupid comment like the one he made to penthouse, though i do not personally find it that outrageous, i can tell he doesn't want to be here. he wants to be somewhere that has more going on. like toronto or miami.

and i think that, at this point, anything he says to the contrary is just damage control.

i wasn't doing cartwheels when jp bought a house here. i couldn't care less. and i don't care if willis buys one. in both cases, their actions as athletes and teammates are what i base my opinion on. when i watch willis not run as hard on cold days i know he doesn't want to be here. when i see him run to miami when the rest of the team is here working out, i know he doesn't want to be here. when he flips off a stupid comment like the one he made to penthouse, though i do not personally find it that outrageous, i can tell he doesn't want to be here. he wants to be somewhere that has more going on. like toronto or miami.

and i think that, at this point, anything he says to the contrary is just damage control.

I think it's time that Marv has a sit down with Wills and his agent. Lay all the cards on the table and get down to brass knuckles. It's not a crime for him to not want to be here (the crime's not playing full out if that's what he's doing), but if he genuinely feels he doesn't want to play here then what's the harm in finding this out so that the Bills can look for a trade to a team he'd like to play for. If the trade value isn't there for the Bills then all parties could agree that Willis will play out the 2007 season and see where his heart and the team's heart are at a year from now. If a trade situation does surface and is agreeable to the Bills, Willis and his prospective team then the deal is done.

Elway didn't want to play for the Colts, Eli didn't want to play for the Chargers so it's not a stretch to think Willis may not want to be a Bill. Heck, even Jim Kelly didn't seem so keen on coming here, but at least he had a major change of heart. Willis may say he wants to remain a Bill, but that still doesn't mean it's not damage control mumbo-jumbo. It seems ever since Willis got here three years ago that this question of his allegence to the city of Buffalo has always been the white elephant in the room. Does he want to be the star runningback in a major metropolis, or does he want to be the star runningback in the small town of Buffalo, NY? I hope Marv and Willis can put this to rest once and for all this offseason.

This is easy. Let Willis play for a contract. If he has a monster year, we get it at a bargain price.

If we sign him for what...4 million a year or something...it's too much risk and too little reward. Take out his games against the Jets and his career thusfar is below mediocre.

As for his attitude, Marv should remain consistent. Willis has not earned special treatment. His nonsense would not be tolerated if he was just another player. I can respect Marv not slapping a tag on Clements because he told Clements that he wouldn't. So be consistent, and place a premium on high character guys like you told the fans you would.

Why reward Willis? It's crazy.

And I say...unless we can get a first round pick...don't trade the guy. Let him play for a new contract. He won't sit out...he's entering what is theoretically the prime of his career. Sitting out would put a mega contract at risk. If he gets 5-6 million a year from some other team next offseason, God bless him. And his eighteen illegitimate kids.

Woolley

Face it, many here appear to hate Willis no matter what he does on or off the field. And long after he's gone, many of these same people will be hatin on another player for some reason or another. I mean, come on, the guy asked for a contract extension so he can play in Buffalo longer; and even that gets turned around into a negative. I think that pretty well sums up the irrationality of the anti-Willis crowd.

I agree completely. Too bad the offseason has just begun. Wait til Willis misses an OTA...people will go crazy.

No, actually, it's because of what he *has* done off the field and what he *hasn't* done on the field that makes many of us...well, I don't know if hate's the word. I'd take a Kenny Davis in his prime over McGahee any day. Nobody hated Kenny Davis. McGahee's just not a likeable guy, and more than that, he hasn't done anything in three years to suggest that he's a stud running back who can carry the team into the playoffs. Reasons for personally disliking him (granted, they should be secondary to his playing ability) have been duly documented. They are real reasons, regardless of your dismissive attitude.

Woolley

This is easy. Let Willis play for a contract. If he has a monster year, we get it at a bargain price.

If we sign him for what...4 million a year or something...it's too much risk and too little reward. Take out his games against the Jets and his career thusfar is below mediocre.

As for his attitude, Marv should remain consistent. Willis has not earned special treatment. His nonsense would not be tolerated if he was just another player. I can respect Marv not slapping a tag on Clements because he told Clements that he wouldn't. So be consistent, and place a premium on high character guys like you told the fans you would.

Why reward Willis? It's crazy.

And I say...unless we can get a first round pick...don't trade the guy. Let him play for a new contract. He won't sit out...he's entering what is theoretically the prime of his career. Sitting out would put a mega contract at risk. If he gets 5-6 million a year from some other team next offseason, God bless him. And his eighteen illegitimate kids.

Woolley

that is what i think we should do to...i've said it elsewhere. let him play out of his mind and then someone else can overpay for him.

No, actually, it's because of what he *has* done off the field and what he *hasn't* done on the field that makes many of us...well, I don't know if hate's the word. I'd take a Kenny Davis in his prime over McGahee any day. Nobody hated Kenny Davis. McGahee's just not a likeable guy, and more than that, he hasn't done anything in three years to suggest that he's a stud running back who can carry the team into the playoffs. Reasons for personally disliking him (granted, they should be secondary to his playing ability) have been duly documented. They are real reasons, regardless of your dismissive attitude.

Woolley

I promised myself I wouldn't do this, but what the hey... I'm bored.

"I'd take a Kenny Davis in his prime over McGahee any day."

Well as long as we're randomly picking players, I'd take Franco Harris over Willis too. What's the point of selecting players at random and comparing them to Willis?

"McGahee's just not a likeable guy"

There's at least 3 chicks with babies that would disagree with you (or at least would have). I imagine there's a few others that like him as well, somewhere. Bottom line is, you're integrating your personal opinon into an arguement that doesn't require it. Not to mention the fact that I'd warrant a guess that you don't know Willis on a personal level; therefore, your like and dislike are based on incomplete data.

"...he's a stud running back who can carry the team into the playoffs."

I'm not sure anyone has said he's a stud (well actually having three babies with three women would certainly qualify him as std, but I imagine not in the sense you're using it) or that he'll carry us to the playoffs. I've only said that he's average to above average; whereas, we have many other players that are below average. Doesn't it make sense that they should be replaced first? Smith was rode out of town because he wasn't good enough to get us to the playoffs either; but somehow the Patriots rode him right to a Superbowl win. I'd argue Willis is at least as good as Smith was. So why can't we keep him around and worry about the other aspects of the team that are in more dire need of upgrade?