Pretend I am the new owner of the Bills

Ever since the new CBA the idea of Buffalo being in trouble isn't for the paranoid. Politicians can talk about sell outs, but sell outs won't save us. We could sell out every game for the next 5 years and it won't save us. As each year passes the gap between what we spend on players and the salary cap will grow. It will continue happening under the rosiest attendance scenario we can come up with. How can we remain competitive under such circumstances? This isn't baseball.

You raise ticket prices. The market will support it. Raise the price of each ticket by 20 bucks. By the time you figure in the preseason games, there is 10 million more in revenue. It's not as if Ralph is going broke.

I agree, revenue sharing needs to implemented in a way that it levels the playing field, but the ticket prices need to come up too.

While sell outs alone won't save the franchise, they will go a long way in helping to keep the team here. That goes for any market, small or large.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't let these !@#$ers in the media tell you we're doomed here, Buffalo, if given the chance, will have a long, successful life in Buffalo.

Please explain to me then how we will be able to keep spending up to the cap? We probably won't even come close this year.

Ever since the new CBA the idea of Buffalo being in trouble isn't for the paranoid. Politicians can talk about sell outs, but sell outs won't save us. We could sell out every game for the next 5 years and it won't save us. As each year passes the gap between what we spend on players and the salary cap will grow. It will continue happening under the rosiest attendance scenario we can come up with. How can we remain competitive under such circumstances? This isn't baseball.

Totally agree. I think everyone in this thread is missing the point. It's not about winning. It's about $$$$'s and the Bills won't have any once Ralph Wilson is gone. The CBA is going to increase CAP expenses and the new owner will NOT be able to service their debtload without moving the team. The area cannot sell out now, and the new owner will need to not only fill the stadium but also increase ticket prices, sell luxury boxes at premium prices, institute PSL's and sell merchandise just to be competitive to address the debt which he will need to buy the team, none of which will be able to take place in the current environment. Remember , Ralph Wilson has very little debt and a boatload of equity. The new owner will not have that business model, so it is inevitable that the team will need to be moved, probably to a city which will give huge incentives such as land, infrastructure, practice facilities, etc. New York State cannot offer these after the bad situation it was put in after 9-11. Most communities are screaming for aid and the tax base is out of control relative to other states. You may not like this scenario, but it is the most realistic one. You can't look at a situation with rose colored glasses...

Paying up to the cap? Now I know a bit about the whole spending thing, but isn't that the GM's part? I know in revenue and so on, but I thought he had some hand in the money... and I think with billions of dollars under his near-death belt he could toss a couple million.

If that's not the case? Then disregard my posts.

You raise ticket prices. The market will support it. Raise the price of each ticket by 20 bucks. By the time you figure in the preseason games, there is 10 million more in revenue. It's not as if Ralph is going broke.

I agree, revenue sharing needs to implemented in a way that it levels the playing field, but the ticket prices need to come up too.

While sell outs alone won't save the franchise, they will go a long way in helping to keep the team here. That goes for any market, small or large.

At some point over the next ten years Ralph will most likely not be the owner of the Bills. It's sad, but he's getting older and those are the facts we have to deal with. Whoever it is that takes over will be inheriting a team that is either way under fulfilling the entire cap allotment, or barely reaching it by squeezing out every last possible source of revenue from the Western New York market. The cap won't then just level off, it will only continue to rise, and it will continue rising at a rate much higher then the Bills revenue can or ever will keep up with in the WNY market. No matter what we do now to nickel and dime our way above water something will eventually give, and that most likely happens without Ralph around to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

Buffalo will stay loyal to the Bills and do whatever it takes to keep the team. With the NFL going international Canada seems like our only real hope of keeping the Bills 10 or 15 years down the road. If we can successfully become Canada’s most followed NFL team we have a long term outlook, when right now all we can try and do is fight to keep up with the cap. That’s not a situation many new owners would love to stay in. If this comes at the expense of a couple home games a year its hell of a lot better then the Bills leaving Buffalo, both for fans and the WNY economy.

The only thing i agree with is the Bills are going to have to build a new stadium within 5 to 7 years. I don't care what Ralph says, it will make a difference. With each passing year the Ralph is getting more of a reputation as an old, dank stadium out in the middle of a frozen tundra wind tunnel, with zero corporate presence and a bunch of drunk barbarians ruining a good time for so many. It will have to be a huge effort but they will need a retractable roof stadium with all the bells and whistles somewhere between Buffalo & Rochester OR i agree that possibly on the Canadian side near the falls if Canada chips in some $$$

Maybe they can build a new stadium downtown right next to the Bass Pro. It will be easy access for Canadians with the new bridge being built.

Maybe they can build a new stadium downtown right next to the Bass Pro. It will be easy access for Canadians with the new bridge being built.

And all the businesses that will work at the new skyscraper downtown can buy the luxury boxes <_<

At some point over the next ten years Ralph will most likely not be the owner of the Bills. It's sad, but he's getting older and those are the facts we have to deal with. Whoever it is that takes over will be inheriting a team that is either way under fulfilling the entire cap allotment, or barely reaching it by squeezing out every last possible source of revenue from the Western New York market. The cap won't then just level off, it will only continue to rise, and it will continue rising at a rate much higher then the Bills revenue can or ever will keep up with in the WNY market. No matter what we do now to nickel and dime our way above water something will eventually give, and that most likely happens without Ralph around to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

Buffalo will stay loyal to the Bills and do whatever it takes to keep the team. With the NFL going international Canada seems like our only real hope of keeping the Bills 10 or 15 years down the road. If we can successfully become Canada’s most followed NFL team we have a long term outlook, when right now all we can try and do is fight to keep up with the cap. That’s not a situation many new owners would love to stay in. If this comes at the expense of a couple home games a year its hell of a lot better then the Bills leaving Buffalo, both for fans and the WNY economy.

According to this article in Forbes, if the Bills were to raise revenue by 10% they would be in the top 10 in terms of yearly revenue. We are 13th in operating income before taxes, etc.

edit: oops forgot the link - http://www.forbes.com/lists/results.jhtml?...mp;passKeyword=

If they were to implement my plan of raising ticket prices by $20, that would generate close to $11 million in additional revenue. This would put them between 15 and 16 in terms of revenue generated. Hell, just raising the price of all tickets by $10 would be an additional 5-6 million and would put the bills a few places up on the chart.

These numbers are pretty raw and don't take all factors into account, but it's clear that the Bills can remain at the middle of the pack with some minor cost adjustments.

edit - I know it's 04 info, but it's still relevant

And how do we build that Super Bowl contender if we dont have enough money to hire good coaches, sign FA's etc? Or is it your opinion that you don't need money to build a winner?

PTR

Could have had both Gabar Gaffney and Reche Caldwell for what the Bills paid.......Josh Reed?

Let's see; we are going to need a passport to go to a BILLS game AND we've got a 80 year old 3 lane toll bridge to cross to get there.

Not only would we lose 2/3's of the "local" fan base but also 100% of the fans from Rochester/Syracuse/Erie, etc.

What a plan!

Not to mention, this would make it one hell of a lot easier for military officers to dodge their duty.

Good idea, but I'm not sending America's game to Canada.

Although I'm over there drinking a lot, I hate Canadians, and they have their own damn football league.

Sure, let's sell the naming rights, call it NBC stadium so they pla every game of ours on V..

Don't let these !@#$ers in the media tell you we're doomed here, Buffalo, if given the chance, will have a long, successful life in Buffalo.

Why do you hate Canadians ? There one of the few countries that still like the US.

According to this article in Forbes, if the Bills were to raise revenue by 10% they would be in the top 10 in terms of yearly revenue. We are 13th in operating income before taxes, etc.

edit: oops forgot the link - http://www.forbes.com/lists/results.jhtml?...mp;passKeyword=

If they were to implement my plan of raising ticket prices by $20, that would generate close to $11 million in additional revenue. This would put them between 15 and 16 in terms of revenue generated. Hell, just raising the price of all tickets by $10 would be an additional 5-6 million and would put the bills a few places up on the chart.

These numbers are pretty raw and don't take all factors into account, but it's clear that the Bills can remain at the middle of the pack with some minor cost adjustments.

edit - I know it's 04 info, but it's still relevant

All those years the Bills have shown profitability have been years in which league wide revenue sharing was intact. It allowed the Bills to have the cheapest prices, while still having enough for the cap and profit. With the new CBA Buffalo will no longer qualify for all of the revenue sharing they received in the past. Even worse the salary cap is rising at a rate reflecting the entire league, most of whom qualify for all of the revenue sharing. If we want to remain competitive and meet the demands of the increasing cap we will have to raise prices. Eventually we won't be able to raise prices anymore because the Buffalo economy dictates such. We would either lose profits by overspending or spend less then other teams and try and stay competitive. Either situation isn't exactly enticing for Ralph, and I imagine it's even less enticing for a buyer. These are the real problems that face us over the next 5 to 10 years. We need to continue acknowledging them and get creative in how we can keep our team profitable and competitive in Buffalo.

Why? Because the Bills are doomed in Buffalo. It may take 5, 10, or 15 years, but Ralph is right. We only have a few years left to enjoy this team. And those few years may suck because we won't have enough revenue to compete.

But you have $5 billion dollars. You can do whatever you want. You can charge $1 per ticket and max out the cap every year and still never run out of money in your life.

Selfish prick. :cry: