I still don't like the Whitner and McCargo picks

I think the Bills could've traded the 8th pick and still gotten Whitner. Having Leinart drop into their laps....he was a tradable commodity. I know that they said Detroit might pick Whitner, but so what? They could've had Arizona's pick plus a 2nd or 3rd. It still drives me nuts. And Whitner got zero votes for defensive rookie of the year.

McCargo? Who the hell knows? He was not playing like a first rounder, let alone a first rounder worth giving up what they did to move up and get him. I hope he pans out. Marv gets my full support for the rest of the draft. I thought on draft day that Youboty and Simpson were steals. Youboty would've been a lot better had he not spent a month away from camp. The clubs loyalty to Youboty should pay dividends down the road. They could've been really tough on the kid. If he turns out to be a player, they should be able to keep him without any problem.

Remember, Marv drafted Howard Ballard in the 12th, and look how that panned out.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow. youre STILL second guessing the whitner pick? ok....

I think Whitner had a much better season than what Milloy would have had if he hadn't been cut.

While I don't like the money that Whitner is making I'll deal with it and make a judgment after his second season.

The McCargo pick is very hard to judge, he was making tackles and was beginning to become visible on the field just before he was injured.

I think the Bills could've traded the 8th pick and still gotten Whitner. Having Leinart drop into their laps....he was a tradable commodity. I know that they said Detroit might pick Whitner, but so what? They could've had Arizona's pick plus a 2nd or 3rd. It still drives me nuts. And Whitner got zero votes for defensive rookie of the year.

McCargo? Who the hell knows? He was not playing like a first rounder, let alone a first rounder worth giving up what they did to move up and get him. I hope he pans out. Marv gets my full support for the rest of the draft. I thought on draft day that Youboty and Simpson were steals. Youboty would've been a lot better had he not spent a month away from camp. The clubs loyalty to Youboty should pay dividends down the road. They could've been really tough on the kid. If he turns out to be a player, they should be able to keep him without any problem.

Remember, Marv drafted Howard Ballard in the 12th, and look how that panned out.

Please PM Marv right away. There still may be time for him to change his mind and pick somebody else instead.

As for Howard Ballard. Let Marv know he's available for re-signing. We can probably get him cheap too.

Brilliant moves, brilliant!

Remember, it's what YOU want that counts.

Please PM Marv right away. There still may be time for him to change his mind and pick somebody else instead.

As for Howard Ballard. Let Marv know he's available for re-signing. We can probably get him cheap too.

Brilliant moves, brilliant!

Remember, it's what YOU want that counts.

A tad harsh, no? :blink: Remember, this IS a message board where we discuss, and even second guess things like this.

Obviously, in hindsight, they should've taken Ngata at #8, and they could've drafted Landry, the SS the Ravens ended up with, in the second round. I don't think anyone on this Board would dispute that this would have been a better outcome IN HINDSIGHT.

But all things considered, including the fact that Levy doesn't have the ability to predict the future, it was a good draft.

Obviously, in hindsight, they should've taken Ngata at #8, and they could've drafted Landry, the SS the Ravens ended up with, in the second round. I don't think anyone on this Board would dispute that this would have been a better outcome IN HINDSIGHT.

In hindsight, the Ravens probably should have drafted McNeill, considering Jonathan Ogden is considering retirement. See how that works?

As for Whiter, he was gone no later than the 12th pick, to the Rams. They had lost Archuleta and needed a replacement. And when the 12th pick came along and Whitner was gone, what did they do? They traded down with Denver, who took Cutler.

I think the best part about this thread this far is this image that i have built up in my mind about TC in STL.

I am getting this image of a postal worker, kind of a quiet guy who rarely socializes with people in a face to face interaction. I can imagine him driving his mail truck yesterday in the sh------- whether we have all had, quietly getting more frustrated by the minute with the terrible conditions. Then I imagine out of no where, detonation occurs when he screams out in the mail truck and out of no where says "Dammit Marv, why didn't you trade down and get Whitner.

It's obviously something that has been boiling over for a while now. The only thing left that he has to do is get a MAC 11 and finish the tasks that the dog has ordered him to do.

In hindsight, the Ravens probably should have drafted McNeill, considering Jonathan Ogden is considering retirement. See how that works?

As for Whiter, he was gone no later than the 12th pick, to the Rams. They had lost Archuleta and needed a replacement. And when the 12th pick came along and Whitner was gone, what did they do? They traded down with Denver, who took Cutler.

would it really be the worst thing in the world if whitner had got drafted by the rams? you get yourself in trouble when you zone in on one player.......i'd have taken "another player" if it meant getting a 2nd round pick +

It seems a little much to expect Marv to pick the rookie of the year out of the box. Whitner was a first rate starter and will fill that position for a long time. I think he was named rookie of the month for September as well, so he sure wasn't chopped liver. Could we have traded down? That would be pure speculation. As to Mc Cargo, he did get playing time before his injury and I'm going to have to wait til next year to figure out whether he was a good first round pick...but let's give the guy a chance. I think with Whitner and the rest of the draft, plus some pretty smooth free agency moves, we have to be very happy with what ML/DJ have done. Now if they only listen to me and draft Okoye! :blink:

It seems a little much to expect Marv to pick the rookie of the year out of the box. Whitner was a first rate starter and will fill that position for a long time. I think he was named rookie of the month for September as well, so he sure wasn't chopped liver. Could we have traded down? That would be pure speculation. As to Mc Cargo, he did get playing time before his injury and I'm going to have to wait til next year to figure out whether he was a good first round pick...but let's give the guy a chance. I think with Whitner and the rest of the draft, plus some pretty smooth free agency moves, we have to be very happy with what ML/DJ have done. Now if they only listen to me and draft Okoye! :blink:

Good post, 1 correction.....

Levy himself said on Sirius Radio that there were numerous offers to swap 1st round picks for a 2nd, and that a particular team offered an additional pick as well.

We don't want Okoye. We can fill that need in free agency. He is more of a project than anything else. He's 19 and may be a little too young to have success in the NFL this early in his career.

i love both the Witner and McCargo picks.

stop pushing panic buttons. Witner is going to be "Henry Jones II" for the next 10 to 12 years.

McCargo, who knows...i know this has been discussed ad nauseum, he was coming on and getting more reps at the time of his injury.

what i don't understand is in the original post, you are saying they should have taken Leinart????

he is going to be a great player no doubt.....but after watching the vast improvement in Losman this season, I don't know why you would want to take a step backwards on anther rookie QB.

what i don't understand is in the original post, you are saying they should have taken Leinart????

he is going to be a great player no doubt.....but after watching the vast improvement in Losman this season, I don't know why you would want to take a step backwards on anther rookie QB.

I don't think that this is what he meant (although I had to read it again).

I THINK that he meant that when Leinart fell, the price of a #8 went up because quarterbacks traditionally go high in the first round. It made the pick more appealing to those who were after a qb.

I don't think that this is what he meant (although I had to read it again).

I THINK that he meant that when Leinart fell, the price of a #8 went up because quarterbacks traditionally go high in the first round. It made the pick more appealing to those who were after a qb.

you're right. i had to go back and read it again too.

this horse is beginning to look like the bledsoe horse.

Maybe we need a separate forum where you can go and privately and hold each others hands and bash marv and the 06 draft and live in the past of how we shoudl have traded down for the sole purpose of "getting more value", because apparently this 2nd round pick that we passed on is a sure fire hall of famer. Meanwhile, McCargo is a bust after 5 games. <_<