I still don't like the Whitner and McCargo picks

As much as anyone wants to dump on TD -- and they should because his coaching choices were dismal -- the seeds for this decade's futility were sown by John Butler (RIP). The 1998 trade for RJ was crippling: 1st and 4th (Fred Taylor and... take your pick from these later fourth rounders:

111 N.Y. Jets Jason Fabini T Cincinnati

117 Pittsburgh Deshea Townsend CB Alabama

119 San Francisco Lance Schulters SS Hofstra)

Hasselbeck was drafted in round 6.

The 2000 draft was probably the worst I've ever seen for the Bills (though looking back at it it was one of the most talent-devoid drafts in recent memory). Flowers, Moore, Tillman, Avion Black...

We could have had Keith Bulluck in round 1, and Robaire Smith (drafted five picks AFTER Leif Larsen in Round 6), Bulger.

What has crippled this team (and I love JP Losman) is expending so many high picks on QBs, Bill, not DBs. At least the DBs have had some success for this team. Whatever you want to say about it, if this team had consistently drafted QBs in rounds 3-6 it's likely we would have found a diamond in the rough like Bulger, Brady, Hasselbeck (or Schaub, etc. the list goes on).

what has crippled this team is Teflon Tom's total futility on day 2 of the draft over his 5 years. He produced 1 starter (McGhee) and little else out of close to 25 selections. That is why the team has no depth and has been lving and dying with its day 1 selections.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what has crippled this team is Teflon Tom's total futility on day 2 of the draft over his 5 years. He produced 1 starter (McGhee) and little else out of close to 25 selections. That is why the team has no depth and has been lving and dying with its day 1 selections.

None of which is abnormal when you go back and study the draft and the impact that second dayers generally have. But Donahoe is the devil, so...

None of which is abnormal when you go back and study the draft and the impact that second dayers generally have. But Donahoe is the devil, so...

not true

most teams have starters from day 2.

Jimmy Johnson built the Dolphins D on day 2.

Andre Reed & Howard Ballard were late round finds.

Donahue wasted 5 years of picks always trying to hit the homerun. Some singles and doubles would have gone a long way to building depth.

not true

Donahue wasted 5 years of picks always trying to hit the homerun. Some singles and doubles would have gone a long way to building depth.

I hate defending TD because I dislike what he did for us & I dislike his philosophy on how to run things....but....

It is true.

Randomly grab a good handful of teams & pick a five year period of time. Most teams will be totally comparable to the Bills in the number of day two starters they have from the five year period......i.e. around 1. Those that have more tend to be very bad teams with weak rosters......or simply aberrations from the norm.

I'll leave that research for you to check & realize you are incorrect.

The research I'll do for you to prove that not only should you not pick an exception to the norm to try & prove it wrong.....but your exception was incorrect in the first place.....

1999 (J.Johnsons 4th(& last) season with Dolphins)

Dolphins achieve the #5 ranked D.

Starters(season beginning roster) include.....

1st round picks X2

2nd round picks X2

3rd round picks X2

2nd day picks X2(both from 1996 draft)

Free agents X3

2001 (J.Johnsons 2nd season removed from Dolphins.....Wannstedts 2nd season)

Dolphins achieve the #5 ranked D.

Starters(season beginning roster) include.....

1st round picks X2

2nd round picks X3

3rd round picks X3

2nd day picks X2(from 1996 & 2000 draft)

Free agents X1

Honestly.....less "I reckons" & more "here are the facts" next time you correct people would be appreciated.

I hate defending TD because I dislike what he did for us & I dislike his philosophy on how to run things....but....

It is true.

Now that was a post! I noticed how the Dolphins built that defense through the draft. There were eight draft picks starting in Johnson's last year, which went up to ten draft picks starting in his second year removed. I couldn't help but compare that to how TD tried and failed to build the Bills largely through free agency.

Tom Donahoe just FAILED.

Erik Flowers was the biggest joke known to man, and I don't think he did any backup work and look at this guy. The man did nothing in Free Agency, and he did very little in the draft.

It's been said in this thread a thousand times, I just have to agree and reiterate.

not true

Forget it: the (much more quiet now) TD lovers around here won't let you say these things. Believe me, I tried.

Forget about day 2 starters, his day 1 starters led this team to one of the worst combined records in

the league during his tenure.

:rolleyes:

Tom Donahoe just FAILED.

Erik Flowers was the biggest joke known to man, and I don't think he did any backup work and look at this guy. The man did nothing in Free Agency, and he did very little in the draft.

It's been said in this thread a thousand times, I just have to agree and reiterate.

Let's not pin John Butler's failures on Donahoe.