I propose to you a question

nemhoff

Is Pennington the RT of the future for the Buffalo Bills? I didn't spend as much time watching him towards the end of the season, but all I remember when he got into the lineup was that we are running left all the time because of the weak right side. Should he be penciled in on the line next year? Or was he a stop-gap until we could more ably replace him?

Could one or two of you Oline watchers give insight

Is Pennington the RT of the future for the Buffalo Bills? I didn't spend as much time watching him towards the end of the season, but all I remember when he got into the lineup was that we are running left all the time because of the weak right side. Should he be penciled in on the line next year? Or was he a stop-gap until we could more ably replace him?

Could one or two of you Oline watchers give insight

Hje was a 7th round rookie playing on the right side with a converted centre (also pretty much a rookie) next to him at RG, thats why they ran left all the time. I think in time he will atleast be a decent/good RT atleast. He has the physical ability to do it

I believe he is penciled in as the starter right now, and unless something better comes up in the draft or FA, he will start next year. I think if you put a good veteran RG next to him to help him out a bit, the right side will be ok next season

I believe he should have a shot going into camp at retaining the spot, but I'd be very disappointed if the Bills didn't bring in some competition. He's not someone you can call a cornerstone and build around at this stage.

That was what I was thinking, but would also like to hear about his technique and game-play from the resident experts here

i dont remember him getting beat to often. he played well. and consitering he was a very late round draft pick in his rookie year, i think he played very well.

i dont see the bills dropping a ton of cash to get a decent RT when hes good enough. OTs are expensive, IMO we need to spend money on a DT, MLB (if flethcer is gone), CB (if clements is gone), and 1 (if not 2) stud OGs.

That was what I was thinking, but would also like to hear about his technique and game-play from the resident experts here

I'm no expert, but I thought he did a nice job in pass protecting, but not so much as a run-blocker--which is surprising given that o-linemen usually are better at run-blocking. The few time we did run to his side I recall him doing a lot of reaching--and in fact getting called for a bad hold, taking away a great run against the Titans.

I am intrigued by him and would love it if he were the answer at RT. Talk about great value: an undrafted free agent and 7th round draft pick as book-end tackles!!

Obviously competition is the best at any position, and i can see us bringing in a lower tier RT, but seeing how he started 9 games and held his own, i could see the brain trust not bringing a big name or high round draft pick. I think improving the RG spot is much more important, and will go a long way toward helping pennington improve.

I'd honestly be surprised to NOT see peters-fowler-pennington at LT-C-RT at the beginning of next season.

Remember: cohesion goes a long way to improving any o-line, a lot more so than people think.

I'd honestly be surprised to NOT see peters-fowler-pennington at LT-C-RT at the beginning of next season.

Remember: cohesion goes a long way to improving any o-line, a lot more so than people think.

1) Totally agree on your cohesion point.

2) I think the staff really likes Fowler--and he's probably central to our cohesiveness. So I think he'll definitely be back. I have a feeling the only spot that might change will be RG.

I am beginning to become intrigued by Justin Blalock who is listed as a RG but Mack Brown (I know he is a OL from U of Texas) said that he can be converted to play anyone of the OL positions.

A trade down, picking up extra draft picks, then selecting a RG/RT in Blalock is sounding pretty good to me right now.

I am beginning to become intrigued by Justin Blalock who is listed as a RG but Mack Brown (I know he is a OL from U of Texas) said that he can be converted to play anyone of the OL positions.

A trade down, picking up extra draft picks, then selecting a RG/RT in Blalock is sounding pretty good to me right now.

If he can play Guard we should definately take him. In my opinion we are soft in the middle of the lines.

Signing Steinbach and picking this kid in the draft would be amazing. With Preston and Gandy (resign him) as backups, we would have a very deep OL in terms of depth.

2) I think the staff really likes Fowler--and he's probably central to our cohesiveness. So I think he'll definitely be back. I have a feeling the only spot that might change will be RG.

If that's true I have a good feeling we won't be making the playoffs next year either. The interior of our oline is real bad and gets zero push in the run game and they're not any better in pass protection. I believe DIBS had a post on this awhile back. I'm fine with Peters/Fowler/Pennington at lt-c-rt. Although compeition should be brought in for pennington but upgrading the 2 guard positions has to be a must. Gandy/Preston make good depth and very lousy starters.

i dont remember him getting beat to often. he played well. and consitering he was a very late round draft pick in his rookie year, i think he played very well.

i dont see the bills dropping a ton of cash to get a decent RT when hes good enough. OTs are expensive, IMO we need to spend money on a DT, MLB (if flethcer is gone), CB (if clements is gone), and 1 (if not 2) stud OGs.

Pennington's numbers looked good last year as he gave up 2.0 sacks in 11 games (9 starts) last year and only drew 1 penalty. I'd definately give him a nod at the starting spot next year but definately look for a veteran backup to give him some competition or at least to have just incase. Of course that's easier said then done as the free agent landscape for OTs looks very poor with the best one being Tony Pashos of the Ravens. I know Allen Wilson thinks we should pursue Max Starks but he's a RFA and don't feel he'd be worth getting for a 3rd Rounder assuming the Steelers give him a qualifing tender.

As we all know, Pennington struggled some at first, but really came on later in the year. We have many glaring needs, and RT shouldnt be a top priority. I would like to sign an old veteran to compete with Pennington rather than draft someone and put us back in the same position. I think some competition at the RT spot is necessary, but no big name free agents or highly touted draft picks.

Pennington has exactly what you look for in a tackle. He is huge, can move well for his size, and his arms are super long. He just needs coaching and technique work. He is solid at this point, and not a liability. If there is a cheap free agent out there, or someone in the later rounds that the Bills think might have some potential then bring him in, but it is not a worry position at this point.

If that's true I have a good feeling we won't be making the playoffs next year either. The interior of our oline is real bad and gets zero push in the run game and they're not any better in pass protection. I believe DIBS had a post on this awhile back. I'm fine with Peters/Fowler/Pennington at lt-c-rt. Although compeition should be brought in for pennington but upgrading the 2 guard positions has to be a must. Gandy/Preston make good depth and very lousy starters.

PETERS, STEINBACH, FOWLER, GANDY, PENNINGTON is good enough to make the playoffs

If he can play Guard we should definately take him. In my opinion we are soft in the middle of the lines.

Signing Steinbach and picking this kid in the draft would be amazing. With Preston and Gandy (resign him) as backups, we would have a very deep OL in terms of depth.

Steinbach might be a little too soft, as well. I'm not sure you shell out big money on him.

Steinbach might be a little too soft, as well. I'm not sure you shell out big money on him.

How about Deilman or Davis?

There are a few 'good' OGs out there this FA period......we HAVE to get one.

Well......we don't have to......but it would be nice. :bag:

From what I've heard, the Bills like Pennington and Fowler (and obviously Peters). They want to bring back Gandy but at a reasonable price. They know they need to upgrade the RG spot and will concentrate on that in FA. I believe this because it makes sense to me.

I think that the lack of a bonafide/veteran RG hindered TP a lot. As did him being a raw 7th round rookie. He'll be fine at RT.

Why would we want to bring in competition?? To me that means bringing another player about equally as good. So why spend FA money on that as compared to using the money elsewhere. If you use our 1st round draft pick on a RT, then he likely will become the next starter, but likely will be a step back initially till he adjusts. I canstill live with that, though feel our first rounder should be spend elsewhere. If we go out and sign a top notch free agent RT, then again that's an ugrade, so OK with that in principle, but again would rather spend it on a RG. However, I don't see much value in bringing in some other player that isn't a clear step up. I'd rather use the money we spend on thie "compitition" to instead sign a better guard to play next to him. I'm all in favor of signing the best right guard out there. As far as left guard goes, again if we can sign somepone clearly better than Gandy great. Otherwise would rather keep the continuity going.

There isn't a bottomless pit of money, so you can't keep every year trying to find a better play for each position out there. When you sign someone whether it be a FA or a draft pick, you need to make a committment to that person anf give him enough time or totally give up if you quickly feel it was mistake. Like Reyes, appears to be a mistake, so cut him and move on. Pennington played pretty good for a rookie. If you feel you need an improvement there, then I'd also feel you need to replace both guards, and I doubt we can afford three top notch starters.

I believe he should have a shot going into camp at retaining the spot, but I'd be very disappointed if the Bills didn't bring in some competition. He's not someone you can call a cornerstone and build around at this stage.