Kevin Gilbride to take over Giants Play calling

millbank

Kevin Gilbride takes over Giants play calling

With his offense sputtering, his players in need of a spark and his team playing a must-win season finale, Coach Tom Coughlin today announced that quarterbacks coach Kevin Gilbride will call the offensive plays when the Giants visit the Washington Redskins in the regular season finale Saturday night.

The 7-8 Giants have lost six of seven games, but can virtually clinch an NFC Wild Card playoff berth by beating the Redskins in FedEx Field.

Gilbride assumes the play-calling duties from offensive coordinator John Hufnagel, who has called the plays since he joined the team with Coughlin in 2004. Hufnagel will continue in an administrative role with the offensive staff.

“I’m hoping it sparks us to win a game – win a football game,” said Coughlin, who made the decision to change play callers on Sunday night after the Giants' loss to New Orleans.

Just watch....the Giants offense will score about 45 points this week and Coughlin will be praised for the move and rewarded with an extension.

Then reality will set in during Week 5 of 2007 when Gilbride calls a pass on 3rd & 1 and it's picked off & returned for a TD.

Wonder what "Daddy Manning" (Archie) has to say about this?

I can't stand the entire Manning family. Complete douchebags, all of 'em.

I used to like Ely, sort of a sympathy didn't get much attention type of thing. Screw that now.

Eli Manning is what Ashlee Simpson is to Jessica Simpson (Peyton).

Gillbride is a run and shoot coordinator. Hasn't adjusted with the times. When you see a coach like June Jones have success with Hawaii you see the difference between coaching college and in the pros. To be a good coach you have to adapt with the times defensive coordinators will eventually figure out how to stop a system ie. the run and shoot and then the offensive coordinator has to counter punch and come up with a different system. Do you see any pro-teams using the run and shoot now?

Gillbride is a run and shoot coordinator. Hasn't adjusted with the times.

Not on Sunday he isn't. If he can nurse Manning along (how far the mighty have fallen...) and win a couple more, his reputation will be rehabilitated. The Giants are good enough to make that happen.

Kevin Gilbride takes over Giants play calling

With his offense sputtering, his players in need of a spark and his team playing a must-win season finale, Coach Tom Coughlin today announced that quarterbacks coach Kevin Gilbride will call the offensive plays when the Giants visit the Washington Redskins in the regular season finale Saturday night.

The 7-8 Giants have lost six of seven games, but can virtually clinch an NFC Wild Card playoff berth by beating the Redskins in FedEx Field.

Gilbride assumes the play-calling duties from offensive coordinator John Hufnagel, who has called the plays since he joined the team with Coughlin in 2004. Hufnagel will continue in an administrative role with the offensive staff.

“I’m hoping it sparks us to win a game – win a football game,” said Coughlin, who made the decision to change play callers on Sunday night after the Giants' loss to New Orleans.

i dont want to be harsh to the guy but how he's managed to hang around the league this long is beyond me. i can remember almost 15 years ago when he was oilers OC and DC buddy ryan took a swing at him for his play calling in the 4th quarter when they had the lead. and it was gilbride in 92 as OC for the oilers when bills made that record comeback in the wildcard game after a series of moon INTs

:o

I'm going to enjoy Washington thrashing the Giants tonight thoroughly. I hope we see Gilbride's greatest hits, complete with Coughlin moaning on the sidelines all night.

I think my dream scenario is the Giants up ten with 11 minutes left in the fourth with the ball, and him calling three straight passing plays to go three and out, followed by a four point loss.

Eli hasn't developed particularly well under Gilbride in my opinion. He seems to have had a bell curve like career track so far. I think it is very fair to say there has been a clear regression this year where there should have been improvement. You can't blame it all on losing Toomer and a few linemen; every team has injuries.

If the Pats can't win it, then I'd like to see the Chargers do it for no other reason that I like how they used the trade of two overrated college prospects to build a team and acquire perhaps the best player in the NFL in the process.

(I know, I know, Rico. Martyball. January. Probably ain't happening.)

Go Redskins!

C'mon Skins - one more stop + TD.

Greggo has no answer for Tiki. Killdrive is going to have to really screw this one up for the Deadskins to have a chance. Even he has to be able to see that Tiki can run this one right into the win column.

:o

I'm going to enjoy Washington thrashing the Giants tonight thoroughly. I hope we see Gilbride's greatest hits, complete with Coughlin moaning on the sidelines all night.

I think my dream scenario is the Giants up ten with 11 minutes left in the fourth with the ball, and him calling three straight passing plays to go three and out, followed by a four point loss.

Eli hasn't developed particularly well under Gilbride in my opinion. He seems to have had a bell curve like career track so far. I think it is very fair to say there has been a clear regression this year where there should have been improvement. You can't blame it all on losing Toomer and a few linemen; every team has injuries.

If the Pats can't win it, then I'd like to see the Chargers do it for no other reason that I like how they used the trade of two overrated college prospects to build a team and acquire perhaps the best player in the NFL in the process.

(I know, I know, Rico. Martyball. January. Probably ain't happening.)

Go Redskins!

I just opened this thread, lol!

Wow, Tiki had a great game, he sure doesn't want to retire just yet.