The All-Buffalo Team

This is the starting 22 and ST

These players are selected at the best they ever wwere, not as a whole career per se, hence McKellar, he was a beast before he got hurt.

QB- Jim Kelly

RB- OJ Simpson

FB- Jim Braxton

WR- Elbert Dubenion

WR- Andre Reed

TE- Keith McKellar

OL- The Electric Co. minus Montler plus Kent Hull

For defense I will play a 3-4 as the Bills have been a 3-4 team for the majority of their existence.

DE- Bruce Smith

NT- Ted Washington

DE- Phil Hansen

OLB- Cornelius Bennett

ILB- Chris Spielman

ILB- Sam Cowart

OLB- Mike Stratton

CB- Robert James

S- Jeff Nixon

S- George Saimes

CB- Nate Odomes

K- Steve Christie

P- Brian Moorman

LS- Adam Lingner

ST- Steve Tasker - don't discount Jason Peters in this role either, our ST ruled he year he was both on the wedge and wedge buster, he also blocked a punt that year.

KR- Terrence McGee

PR- Roscoe Parrish - I toyed with Clements but he fumbled too much

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going with the 52 man roster, but feel free for a starting group only.

Coach - Marv Levy

QB - Jim Kelly, Frank Reich, AVP

HB - Thurman Thomas, OJ Simpson, Cookie Gilchrist

FB - Sam Gash

WR - Andre Reed, Eric Moulds, Lee Evans, Elbert Dubenion, Glen Bass (loved the guy)

TE - Jay Reimersma, Pete Metzlaars.

O-Line - The Electric Company (who wouldn't?) and Ruben Brown.

DE - Bruce Smith, Phil Hansen, White Sherman, and Ben Williams

NT/DT - Tom Sestak, Freddy Smerlas

LB - Shane Conlan, the Biscuit, Daryl Talley, Bryce Paup, Lucious Sanford.

CB - Nate Odomes, Steve Freeman, Mario Clark, Butch Byrd

S - Tony Greene, Mark Kelso, Kurt Schulz, George Saimes.

P - Brian Moorman

K - Steve Christie

I'm bored, any thoughts?

866269[/snapback]

You forgot Kent Hull and The House! The latter was best o-line man ever for Bills. And how do you leave Ted Washington off the list?

Coach - Marv Levy

FB - Sam Gash

WR - Andre Reed, Eric Moulds, Lee Evans, Elbert Dubenion, Glen Bass (loved the guy)

P - Brian Moorman

K - Steve Christie

I'm bored, any thoughts?

866269[/snapback]

12th man: EZC

My list...includes some current players who I think will develop into all time Bills

Coach - Marv Levy

QB - Jim Kelly, Joe Ferguson, Frank Reich

HB - OJ Simpson, Thurman Thomas, Willis McGahee

FB - Cookie Gilchrist, Jim Braxton, Sam Gash

WR - Andre Reed, Jerry Butler, Elbert Dubenion, Eric Moulds, Lee Evans

TE - Pete Metzelaars, Keith McKellar

LT -Will Wolford, Jason Peters

LG- Joe Demaillure, Rueben Brown

C- Kent Hull

RG - Billy Shaw, Reggie McKenzie

RT - Howard Ballard

DE - Bruce Smith, Aaron Schobel, Phil Hansen

DT - Pat Williams, Tom Sestek, Ted Washington, Fred Smerlas

LB - Shane Conlan, Cornelius Bennett, Daryl Talley, Jim Haslett, Mike Stratton, Takeo Spikes

CB - Nate Odomes, Nate Clements, Antoine Winfield, Steve Freeman

S - Mark Kelso, Henry Jones, George Saimes, Donte Whitner

P - Brian Moorman

K - Steve Christie, Scott Norwood

ST - Steve Tasker

Based on how many defensive players that people list from the so called "glory years" that that D would have been dominant.  If that D was dominant the Bills would have a few SB titles under their belts.  I think that a few people have romanticized that team a little bit.

866658[/snapback]

I don't think so, as far as talent goes. They were awesome players. We had terrible coaching then, which did not come close to getting the most out of our players. I still blame that on Marv because he wouldn't get rid of Walt Corey. If we had Wade as the DC then, I think we would have won a couple Super Bowls. Bruce is one of the 2-3 best DEs of all time. Bennett was a fabulous LB. Talley and Hansen were very, very good, as was Conlan. Odomes was quite good, Henry Jones was quite good. Those defenses should have been great and they were only decent to good.

I don't think so, as far as talent goes. They were awesome players. We had terrible coaching then, which did not come close to getting the most out of our players. I still blame that on Marv because he wouldn't get rid of Walt Corey. If we had Wade as the DC then, I think we would have won a couple Super Bowls. Bruce is one of the 2-3 best DEs of all time. Bennett was a fabulous LB. Talley and Hansen were very, very good, as was Conlan. Odomes was quite good, Henry Jones was quite good. Those defenses should have been great and they were only decent to good.

866677[/snapback]

Great players produce. I won't argue that those guys were all talented as hell but only a few of them really produced: Bruce, Talley, Henry and Odomes.

I loved Biscuit but his hype was bigger than his game and the same goes for Conlan (even more so). That’s not to say that they were bad, just not as good as advertised. Sam Cowart, during his time in Buffalo, was better than any of those LBs (including Talley) and it's not even close. Granted, Cowart's time in Buffalo was short due to his injury but that doesn't lessen the impact he had on the games he played. Before his injury Cowart was on his way to becoming a dominant LB (alla Ray Lewis). He was that good.

Hanson was a guy that was pretty good against the run but people have built him into a much better player than he actually was. The guy had one of the all time great DEs on the opposite side of him which guaranteed that he'd never see a double team and he still couldn't get the pressure or sacks that Schobel wracks up. Schobel isn’t quite as good as Hanson against the run but he’s not bad either.

I'm sure there are guys from the pre-80s days (which is really as far back as my knowledge extends) who were better than many of those players as well.

I respect everyone's suggestions and think this is a really interesting thread but i have only one comment to make because I don't think i have seen this player's name mentioned. But regardless of what point in his career he was here as far as receivers go that wore the uniform, James Lofton has to be among the top 3 in my opinion. James Lofton finally gave the K-gun the outside, down the field threat it needed to compliment andre. I recall one season where james was averaging something like 18 yards per catch deep into the season....he was special even late in his career when he was a Bill. And as i recall his induction into the HOF was as much about being a Bill as it was about being a Packer.

Coach - Marv Levy

FB - Sam Gash

P - Brian Moorman

K - Steve Christie

I'm bored, any thoughts?

866269[/snapback]

Poor job. Unless they are just your faves and not the best players. AVP over lamonica,Kemp,Ferguson???? ANY of those receivers over Jerry Butler?? No Billy Shaw? or Kent Hull? NO ROBERT JAMES at corner????

Poor job. Unless they are just your faves and not the best players. AVP over lamonica,Kemp,Ferguson???? ANY of those receivers over Jerry Butler?? No Billy Shaw? or Kent Hull? NO ROBERT JAMES at corner????

867077[/snapback]

OMG---Ted Washinton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --dumb me:))))I think he's the best run stuffer of all time in the NFL.

I loved Biscuit but his hype was bigger than his game and the same goes for Conlan (even more so).  That’s not to say that they were bad, just not as good as advertised.  Sam Cowart, during his time in Buffalo, was better than any of those LBs (including Talley) and it's not even close.  Granted, Cowart's time in Buffalo was short due to his injury but that doesn't lessen the impact he had on the games he played.  Before his injury Cowart was on his way to becoming a dominant LB (alla Ray Lewis).  He was that good. 

866694[/snapback]

I think Biscuit's 1st few years were just as dominant as Cowart's... I thought he would become the 2nd coming of LT. Agree 100% on Conlan, I don't care how many Pro Bowls he went to, very overrated IMO.. he wouldn't come close to making my all-time team. Not even the best Shane ILB, I'd take a healthy Nelson over Conlan.

Great players produce.  I won't argue that those guys were all talented as hell but only a few of them really produced:  Bruce, Talley, Henry and Odomes. 

I loved Biscuit but his hype was bigger than his game and the same goes for Conlan (even more so).  That’s not to say that they were bad, just not as good as advertised.  Sam Cowart, during his time in Buffalo, was better than any of those LBs (including Talley) and it's not even close.  Granted, Cowart's time in Buffalo was short due to his injury but that doesn't lessen the impact he had on the games he played.  Before his injury Cowart was on his way to becoming a dominant LB (alla Ray Lewis).  He was that good. 

Hanson was a guy that was pretty good against the run but people have built him into a much better player than he actually was.  The guy had one of the all time great DEs on the opposite side of him which guaranteed that he'd never see a double team and he still couldn't get the pressure or sacks that Schobel wracks up.  Schobel isn’t quite as good as Hanson against the run but he’s not bad either.

I'm sure there are guys from the pre-80s days (which is really as far back as my knowledge extends) who were better than many of those players as well.

866694[/snapback]

A coach's job is to put players in a position to excel. IMO, Bennett was not used right, and even though I think he produced far, far more than you did (a simple difference of opinion), I blame that more on Corey than Bennett. The Bills played much more of a react defense when they clearly had the players to attack, and one of those players was Bennett.

A coach's job is to put players in a position to excel. IMO, Bennett was not used right, and even though I think he produced far, far more than you did (a simple difference of opinion), I blame that more on Corey than Bennett. The Bills played much more of a react defense when they clearly had the players to attack, and one of those players was Bennett.

867183[/snapback]

Excellent point.

867183[/snapback]

Yeah, I don't disagree with your point. The "bend but don't break" Corey D wasn't one of my favorites either.

......ST- Steve Tasker - don't discount Jason Peters in this role either, our ST ruled he year he was both on the wedge and wedge buster, he also blocked a punt that year......

866659[/snapback]

...and Mark Pike

People forget how good he was.

Best 'big man' special teamer ever.....according to Marv.

How about some love for Timex, good old Don Beebe at the wideout spot. You could hit him witha truck and he wouldn't drop the ball, and don't forget his heart, chasing down Leon Lett. He may not have benn as talented as others, but is one of those "character guys" I like on my team.

QB: Kelly, Ferguson, Reich

HB: OJ, Thurman, Kenny Davis

FB: Gash

WR: Andre, Moulds, Evans, Beebe

TE: Metzellars & Next years draft pick

OL: Electric Co. with Hull, House Ballard, and Reuben Brown as backups

DE: Bruce Smith, Schoebel, Phil Hansen, Dr. Sack

NT/DT - Ted Washington, Pat Williams

LB - TKO, Biscuit, Talley, Spielman, Fletcher-Baker.

CB - Nate Clements, Nate Odomes, Antoine Winfield, McGee,

S - Mark Kelso, Kurt Schulz, Whitner, Henry Jones

P - Brian Moorman

K - Steve Christie

I know this eliminates many great players, but I was born in 1970 and have to go with what I know.

QB - Jason Peters

RB - Jason Peters

FB - Jason Peters

WR - Jason Peters

TE - Jason Peters

LT - Jason Peters

LG - Jason Peters

C - Jason Peters

RG - Jason Peters

RT - Jason Peters

DE - Jason Peters

DT - Jason Peters

LB - Jason Peters

CB - Jason Peters

S - Jason Peters

ST - Jason Peters

K - Jason Peters

P - Brian Mooreman

I'll give my try, I was not around for the glory years... well I was but I was not a huge Bills fan.

QB: Kelly, Ferguson, Flutie

RB: O.J. Murderer, Thurman, Davis

FB: Sam Gash, Larry Centers

WR: Reed (Andre), Moulds, Lofton, Evans

TE: Reimersma, Metzlaars

OL: Ruben Brown, Ballard, Hull, Delamielleure, Jason Peters

DL: Bruce Smith, Ted Washington, Pat Williams, Aaron Schobel

LB: Bennett, Flether-Baker, Cowart, Talley

DB: Winfield, Clements, Odomes

S: Lawyer Milloy, James

K: Scott Norwood (someone has to give the guy love.. I volunteer)

P: Moorman

ST: Tasker, Stamer

Any list without Robert James at CB is just plan wrong and shows how little that person knows about football and the Bills. James maybe the only CB in NFL season to go an entire season without having a TD thrown against him. He maybe the best Buffalo Bill ever. Short career but flat out amazing. I still remember hearing the day he got hurt on the radio and how really sad that was.

FYI a little info from a HOF corner:

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/rele...?release_id=742

saleemc: Did you model yourself after any other player? Who?

Mike Haynes: Actually, I modeled myself after several guys. I studied film on Lem Barney, Mel Blount, Jimmy Johnson, and Robert James of the Buffalo Bills. James wasn't celebrated, but we had a lot of film on him in New England, and he had unbelievable bump and run technique and was in the right place. I tried to backpedal like Barney, knock guys around like Willie Brown, and recover like Mel Blount.