The All-Buffalo Team

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any list without Robert James at CB is just plan wrong and shows how little that person knows about football and the Bills.  James maybe the only CB in NFL season to go an entire season without having a TD thrown against him.  He maybe the best Buffalo Bill ever.  Short career but flat out amazing.  I still remember hearing the day he got hurt on the radio and how really sad that was.

FYI a little info from a HOF corner:

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/rele...?release_id=742

saleemc: Did you model yourself after any other player? Who?

Mike Haynes: Actually, I modeled myself after several guys. I studied film on Lem Barney, Mel Blount, Jimmy Johnson, and Robert James of the Buffalo Bills. James wasn't celebrated, but we had a lot of film on him in New England, and he had unbelievable bump and run technique and was in the right place. I tried to backpedal like Barney, knock guys around like Willie Brown, and recover like Mel Blount.

867310[/snapback]

James was a CB.. oops, I knew he was good I just thought he played Safety..

He was on my team though :oops:

James was a CB.. oops, I knew he was good I just thought he played Safety..

He was on my team though :oops:

867344[/snapback]

Again I quote

"Any list without Robert James at CB is just plan wrong and shows how little that person knows about football and the Bills. "

Hey I admitted at the begining of my post some of this is before my time. I started watching during the Flutie era.

867357[/snapback]

James was at the beginning of my watching. He flat out was great. I mean it was obvious that QB's wouldn't even look at his side of the field, he always made the QB paid.

James was at the beginning of my watching.  He flat out was great.  I mean it was obvious that QB's wouldn't even look at his side of the field, he always made the QB paid.

867364[/snapback]

Hell, if "he made the QB paid" you might as well start Thomas Smith back there.

AAAAARGH....how could I forget Tom Sestak and Kent Hull....mea culpa mea culpa, mea maxima culpa...Jerry Butler, Andre Reed, JD Hill, Elbert Dubenion, Bobby Chandler, and a host of other wide receivers come to mind.

866630[/snapback]

Cardinal Sin .. but we will let it go. :oops: Let not forget that Sestak is our Best Ever at DT, Hull our Best Ever at Center.

For WR it it tough to mix eras but I go in this order

1. Reed

2. Butler

3. Moulds

4. Dubenion

I am talking about play "as a Bill".

We have many honorable mentions at this position, such as Lofton, Chandler, Rashad, JD Hill. Lofton and Rashad did a lot with other teams too.

I don't think so, as far as talent goes. They were awesome players. We had terrible coaching then, which did not come close to getting the most out of our players. I still blame that on Marv because he wouldn't get rid of Walt Corey. If we had Wade as the DC then, I think we would have won a couple Super Bowls. Bruce is one of the 2-3 best DEs of all time. Bennett was a fabulous LB. Talley and Hansen were very, very good, as was Conlan. Odomes was quite good, Henry Jones was quite good. Those defenses should have been great and they were only decent to good.

866677[/snapback]

If the Bills have a decent big NT during the SB years they win a few, coaching or not. I never understood why they didn't trade for or sign a big space hog to counter the nfc east. Wright was strong for his size but way underweight against the skins and boys. Where was Ted when we needed him (being dissed by the 49ers)?

Conlan and his skinny legs were unmasked that night in 91 against Okoye. Word, and Williams - he was abused. A big neck ain't a substitute for a big ass.

Safety was a week spot til Jones took over as well. Kelso for all his supposed football intellect was a major limitation as he was slow, weak and usually 40 yards downfield at the snap. The Kirby Jackson/JD Williams tandem sucked hard too.

Still, one big slobbering anchor wins us at least 2.

I'm going with the 52 man roster, but feel free for a starting group only.

Coach - Marv Levy

QB - Jim Kelly, Frank Reich, AVP

HB - Thurman Thomas, OJ Simpson, Cookie Gilchrist

FB - Sam Gash

WR - Andre Reed, Eric Moulds, Lee Evans, Elbert Dubenion, Glen Bass (loved the guy)

TE - Jay Reimersma, Pete Metzlaars.

O-Line - The Electric Company (who wouldn't?) and Ruben Brown.

DE - Bruce Smith, Phil Hansen, White Sherman, and Ben Williams

NT/DT - Tom Sestak, Freddy Smerlas

LB - Shane Conlan, the Biscuit, Daryl Talley, Bryce Paup, Lucious Sanford.

CB - Nate Odomes, Steve Freeman, Mario Clark, Butch Byrd

S - Tony Greene, Mark Kelso, Kurt Schulz, George Saimes.

P - Brian Moorman

K - Steve Christie

I'm bored, any thoughts?

866269[/snapback]

Robert James at corner; Joe Ferguson replaces AVP; Jerry Butler over Moulds; Billy Shaw on the oline; Paul Costa at TE rather than Reimersma; Schobel over either White or Williams

First and foremost the all time bills team is:

Teddy Bruschi

Teddy is the all time everything team for every nfl, afl, nba or nhl team. I don't think it is at all funny that we don't acknowledge that fact up front.

I'm surprised Billy Shaw who is the nfl hall of fame and probably the best gaurd we ever had is not mentioned on most posts. Pete Gogolak (who single-handedly began the AFL-NFL merger by signing with the Giants, should get some mention for kicker. Sestak, Dunaway, McDole, Dunaway and Day were a defensive line that may be the best ever. Butch Byrd was a magnificent cornerback.

As to wide receivers two guys who wouldn't make the all time team but deserve speical mention are Bobby Chandler and Glenn Bass. If KRC is still posting I'd love to see his list as he maintains the best best Bills history website I've ever seen.

Start 11s

QB - Kelly

RB - Thomas, Simpson

FB - None

WR - Reed, Moulds

TE - Metzelaars

LT - Wolford

LG - Shaw

C - Hull

RG - Joe D.

RT - House

DE - Hansen

DT - Washington

DT - Smerlas

DE - Bruce

OLB - Biscuit

MLB - Fletcher

OLB - Talley

CB - James

S - Saimes

S - Jones

CB - Winfield

867303[/snapback]

Not bad for starters but FB would be Cookie G, followed by Braxton.

Not bad for starters but FB would be Cookie G, followed by Braxton.

867942[/snapback]

I think chalkie was saying, instead of running a traditional tailback/ fullback setup, the offense would be more of a pro form offense where thurman would possibly motion out to the slot ala the aints' usage of reggie bush

My 53, i am taking special teams into account too.

Coach - Marv Levy

QB - Jim Kelly, Fergy, Lamonica

HB - Thurman Thomas, OJ Simpson, Cookie Gilchrist, Joe Cribbs

FB - Larry Centers, Gash

WR - Andre Reed, Eric Moulds, Jerry Butler, Elbert Dubenion, Lee Evans, James Lofton and Steve Tasker

TE - Jay Reimersma, Keith McKeller, Metzalaars

O-Line - Ruben, Jim Richter, Will Woolford, Hull, House Ballard, Billy Shaw, Reggie McKensie, Jason Peters, Adam Lingner

DE - Bruce Smith, Aaron Schobel, Phil Hansen, Mark Pike

DT - Phat Pat, Ted Washington, Fred Smerlas, Tom Sestak

LB - Biscuit, Daryl Talley, Bryce Paup, London, Spikes, Spielman (say what you want i thought he was a beast in red, white, and blue)

CB - Nate Odomes, Steve Freeman, Butch Byrd, Robert James, Terrance McGee

S - Tony Greene, Mark Kelso, Henry Jones, George Saimes.

P - Brian Moorman

K - Gary Anderson (we did draft him)

QB - Gary Marangi, Matt Kofler, Dennis Shaw

HB - Jonathan Linton, Booker Moore, Terry Miller

FB - Carwell Gardner

WR - Russell Copeland, Byron Franklin, Perry Tuttle, Ed Rutkowski, Chris Burkett

TE - Ruben Gant, Lonnie Johnson, Tony Hunter

O-Line - John Fina, Dusty Ziegler, Marques Sullivan, Courey Louchiey, Robert Hicks, Mike Williams, Mike Pucillo

DE - Erik Flowers, Leon Seals, Walt Patulski, Oliver Barnett

NT/DT - Phil Dokes, Tim Anderson, Ron Edwards

LB - Tom Cousineau, Tom Ruud, Eddie Robinson,

CB - Mickey Washington, J.D. Williams, Rodney Bellinger, Chris Williams

S - Coy Wire, Matt Darby, Pierson Priouleau

P - Greg Cater

K - Tom Dempsey

co-head coaches - Gregg Williams/Hank Bullough

GM - Stew Barber

QB - Gary Marangi, Matt Kofler, Dennis Shaw

HB - Jonathan Linton, Booker Moore, Terry Miller

FB - Carwell Gardner

WR - Russell Copeland, Byron Franklin, Perry Tuttle, Ed Rutkowski, Chris Burkett

TE - Ruben Gant, Lonnie Johnson, Tony Hunter

O-Line - John Fina, Dusty Ziegler, Marques Sullivan, Courey Louchiey, Robert Hicks, Mike Williams, Mike Pucillo

DE - Erik Flowers, Leon Seals, Walt Patulski, Oliver Barnett

NT/DT - Phil Dokes, Tim Anderson, Ron Edwards

LB - Tom Cousineau, Tom Ruud, Eddie Robinson,

CB - Mickey Washington, J.D. Williams, Rodney Bellinger, Chris Williams

S - Coy Wire, Matt Darby, Pierson Priouleau

P - Greg Cater

K - Tom Dempsey

co-head coaches - Gregg Williams/Hank Bullough

GM - Stew Barber

868027[/snapback]

I like this but, Terry Miller at least ran for 1,000 yards once-I'd sub in Ronnie Harmon. There is no way Jerry Crafts and Mo Eliwonibi aren't 1,000 times worse than Fina.