Talk about hypocricy

So the NFL is trying to have it both ways:

a) blacking out games to maximize ticket revenue

2) rescheduling games to maximize TV revenue

What this proves to me is that the NFL doesn't give a crap about the fans who actually go to the games - that isn't where the $ is at.

Am I surprised by this? No. The NFL has always been shameless in its pursuit of the almighty $.

ME :doh: NFL

NFL :lol: money

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1) agree with you about blackout terribe

2) i like the flex scheduling, wish they would do this with monday night games as well, as a fan i want to see good games sun and mon nights, too many time they were stuck with mediocre teams. they give enough notice in advance of the change to accomodate us, i have no problem doing a 4:15 game

What this proves to me is that the NFL doesn't give a crap about the fans who actually go to the games - that isn't where the $ is at.

Am I surprised by this?  No.  The NFL has always been shameless in its pursuit of the almighty $.

NFL  :lol:  money

858338[/snapback]

2) i like the flex scheduling, wish they would do this with monday night games as well, as a fan i want to see good games sun and mon nights, too many time they were stuck with mediocre teams.

858347[/snapback]

You mean you're not pumped for Bears-Rams Mon night?

2) i like the flex scheduling, wish they would do this with monday night games as well, as a fan i want to see good games sun and mon nights, too many time they were stuck with mediocre teams.  they give enough notice in advance of the change to accomodate us, i have no problem doing a 4:15 game

858347[/snapback]

Do you travel to games? Or try to bring kids to what are now late games before a school day?

yeah i have to travel from Windsor, I am about 5 hours out of Buffalo, I have relatives I stay with in Canada but most games we make, we come right home that night, I'll have to stay overnight this time but no prob coming back mon morn. no kids yet :doh: how far you out of buf?

Do you travel to games?  Or try to bring kids to what are now late games before a school day?

858350[/snapback]

Or try to bring kids to what are now late games before a school day?

Just put an extra pillow and blanket in the back for the inevitable nap on the way home. Once he's grown, he'll remember the games he attended with Dad, not how tired he was the next morning. :doh:

The Flex Schedule is starting to look like a ratings grab. Looks like in a few weeks we will get Cowboys and Eagles (yeah, the Eagles AGAIN) on Sunday Night. And how many times have the Cowboys been on primetime TV this year? The Raiders have even been on at night twice. No one can tell me at the start of the season the NFL thought the Raiders would be a better team than the Bills.. It be nice if the NFL didn't always give into the big markets. I agree the Flex should go for Monday Night as well. I guess I would like to also see some more AFC- AFC games on Sunday Night Not just a Romo love fest. Sorry for the rant.

I guess I would like to also see some more AFC- AFC games on Sunday Night Not just a Romo love fest. Sorry for the rant.

858410[/snapback]

Since most of the big market teams are NFC teams you're likely to see more of the same. They're not that interested in putting quality football on in primetime. They're interested in grabbing a few big market teams.

I guess I am also interested in football games picked fom different reason than just record and market. I know being a Bills fan I would like to see the Miami game in primetime, but I think it would be a good football game. It be played in, likely, bad conditions and pit two hot teams. I guess I am just sick of seeing the Eagles play everyweek and never seeing a team like KC, Balt, or Cincy.

The Flex Schedule is starting to look like a ratings grab. Looks like in a few weeks we will get Cowboys and Eagles (yeah, the Eagles AGAIN) on Sunday Night. And how many times have the Cowboys been on primetime TV this year? The Raiders have even been on at night twice. No one can tell me at the start of the season the NFL thought the Raiders would be a better team than the Bills.. It be nice if the NFL didn't always give into the big markets. I agree the Flex should go for Monday Night as well. I guess I would like to also see some more AFC- AFC games on Sunday Night Not just a Romo love fest. Sorry for the rant.

858410[/snapback]

The Raiders are a smallish market. With them the NFL is banking on their following in LA and central CA, plus someone probally still believes in the raider mystique.

I come from NJ and leave after the game when they start at 1PM because of school and work the next day. Im usually home by midnight.

I can't do that for a late game. It would be too late!

Unless we stayed and played hookie the next day.

Do you travel to games?  Or try to bring kids to what are now late games before a school day?

858350[/snapback]

Did you guys give the NFL credit for year after year turning this demand down from the networks because they didn't want to disrupt the fans schedules? And um, they are a business. I'm sure Budweiser really cares about its beer drinkers. And um, the ONLY reason the Bills can afford to be in Buffalo is because of the TV networks cash to the NFL. And the networks are demanding this, not the NFL, who doesn't make more from the ratings, the networks do. But don't let that stop you from bitching about the big bad NFL.

How do we know that the Bills did not request the game be moved to 4:05? There are about 7,000 tickets maybe the team feels that this is the only home game left with a chance of selling out (since the Xmas eve Titans game will definitely not sell out).

Too many fans are pumping their money on the Sabres bandwagon instead.

Am I surprised by this?  No.  The NFL has always been shameless in its pursuit of the almighty $.

NFL  :lol:  money

858338[/snapback]

Get over it. It's always been about the money. You have no God given right to watch a game on TV. The blackout rule makes perfect sense from a business standpoint and football is a business. You think you should be able to watch a concert from the HSBC arena from your family room on the tube without buying a ticket to the show? Football is no different.

So many people on this board worry about the Bills moving and then complain about the blackout rule. Well you can't have it both ways. Teams that aren't supported financially won't stay in their locations very long. The teams pay over $100 million a year in salaries to players not including all of the other operating expenses. The teams have to make money or they won't survive. Ticket revenue is an important part of their income. Many of the owners league-wide have huge investments in their teams. Don't be critical that they make a profit or that they work to maximize it. This is a capitalist society. Find a way to take advantage of that.

Once he's grown, he'll remember the games he attended with Dad, not how tired he was the next morning.  :doh:

858374[/snapback]

Or, quite possibly, once he's grown up, he'll blame Gary Marangi for coming off the bench when the Bills had the lead and throwing three picks and losing the game, causing Jay's child to be upset all night with anxiety, only to sleep his way through school the rest of the year, fail a bunch of classes, and ultimately become a bumbling, babbling idiot who spends every week at TBD trying to explain to the fans that winning destroys a franchise.

The Raiders are a smallish market.  With them the NFL is banking on their following in LA and central CA, plus someone probally still believes in the raider mystique.

858461[/snapback]

Not sure if it still holds true, but the Raiders traditionally sell more merchandise than any other team. In fact, the year after they got destroyed by the Bucs in the SB, they went 4-12 and still outsold the next SB champs (Patriots) in merchandise, which comes as no real surprise because most Patsy fans are careful about buying merchandise because they never know when they'll be a Giants fan again.

Did you guys give the NFL credit for year after year turning this demand down from the networks because they didn't want to disrupt the fans schedules? And um, they are a business. I'm sure Budweiser really cares about its beer drinkers. And um, the ONLY reason the Bills can afford to be in Buffalo is because of the TV networks cash to the NFL. And the networks are demanding this, not the NFL, who doesn't make more from the ratings, the networks do. But don't let that stop you from bitching about the big bad NFL.

858475[/snapback]

I totally understand what you are saying Dog, but this one is tough. I know the NFL is a big business and they need to maximize revenue every way possible, but I am having a tough time with this flex-scheduling b/c I live in NJ. I was planning on attending this game, as I do most, but I can not take work off and need to leave right after the game. Now, I have to try and dump my tickets and probably take a loss.

God bless all of you that can take the time off and/or live close, but I think there are more that live outside of the area and really don't appreciate the late kickoff now...

The Ralph is about 80 miles from my driveway in Rochester. A quick drive - but not after a late game! :doh:

yeah i have to travel from Windsor, I am about 5 hours out of Buffalo, I have relatives I stay with in Canada but most games we make, we come right home that night, I'll have to stay overnight this time but no prob coming back mon morn.  no kids yet  :lol:  how far you out of buf?

858353[/snapback]

I totally understand what you are saying Dog, but this one is tough.  I know the NFL is a big business and they need to maximize revenue every way possible, but I am having a tough time with this flex-scheduling b/c I live in NJ.  I was planning on attending this game, as I do most, but I can not take work off and need to leave right after the game.  Now, I have to try and dump my tickets and probably take a loss. 

God bless all of you that can take the time off and/or live close, but I think there are more that live outside of the area and really don't appreciate the late kickoff now...

858496[/snapback]

If it were up to me, I wouldnt have this flex thing either, and I don't have the problem you do, but I believe a lot of fans do. My post is really two fold: 1] This isn't really the NFL, and the blame here should go to the TV networks not the NFL. BUT, 2] we are 99% Bills fans here, and 99% of us never ever want the Bills to move out of Buffalo. I am not exaggerating when i say that the only reason the Bills can afford to stay in Buffalo is because of the TV contracts. And so, I think fans should take that into consideration when badmouthing the NFL and the TV networks. If it's a little inconvenience a couple games, maybe it's worth it to suffer a little but the Bills get to stay in Buffalo.

The Raiders are a smallish market .  With them the NFL is banking on their following in LA and central CA, plus someone probally still believes in the raider mystique.

858461[/snapback]

Yes, Oakland is a long way from San Francisco. :doh:

It has been about the money for a very long time. :lol: