Mort Chat

Rico

the question is missing on-line...

Chris Mortensen: (11:47 AM ET ) I think the Bills have a shot but it can't make them comfortable knowing Merriman is back for this one. Losman, Evanss, McGahee, Parrish, Clements, McGee...lot of playmakers with Buffalo, especially with Losman finally settling into the job.

Tj (Omaha): Mort, what do you think of J.P.? He's starting to show signs of life, but he's done this before, only to follow it with a 7-24 117yd performance. Can he ever be a consistant passer with Buffalo?

SportsNation Chris Mortensen: (11:50 AM ET ) Real quick on Losman...remembe,r he broke his leg as a rookie in preseason so he missed valuable scout team time that year. He only recently surpassed the 16 start mark, so now that he has a full season he should get more consistent. QBs don't play great every week but he has more tools than about 80 percent of the quarterbacks in this league.

the question is missing on-line...

Chris Mortensen: (11:47 AM ET ) I think the Bills have a shot but it can't make them comfortable knowing Merriman is back for this one. Losman, Evanss, McGahee, Parrish, Clements, McGee...lot of playmakers with Buffalo, especially with Losman finally settling into the job.

Tj (Omaha): Mort, what do you think of J.P.? He's starting to show signs of life, but he's done this before, only to follow it with a 7-24 117yd performance. Can he ever be a consistant passer with Buffalo?

SportsNation Chris Mortensen: (11:50 AM ET ) Real quick on Losman...remembe,r he broke his leg as a rookie in preseason so he missed valuable scout team time that year. He only recently surpassed the 16 start mark, so now that he has a full season he should get more consistent. QBs don't play great every week but he has more tools than about 80 percent of the quarterbacks in this league.

851613[/snapback]

i am not a Losman basher but: :blink:

QBs don't play great every week but he has more tools than about 80 percent of the quarterbacks in this league.

851613[/snapback]

Sounds about right. Most teams have at least 3 QB's, with injuries, and practice squad some have 4. With 32 teams there are about 100 QB's in the NFL. That makes JP about 20th.

Basically the bottom grouping of the starters. :blink:

tools is the key word right now. I say he has more tools than Favre or even Brady.. it's just his mental abilities that I think everyone agrees that he lacks.

anyone agree or disagree?

851638[/snapback]

I'm not going to say he lacks in mental ability just yet. It takes awhile to read NFL defenses. He also had a bit of the Mike Vick syndrome at Tulane. He could fall back on his athletic skills, instead of being forced to read defenses, so that adds time. I recall a telling quote in which he looked back at his first game against Houston. He said he felt unbelievable that he made it as a NFL QB after the 1st quarter. Something to the effect of I can already do this, I belong here. He then went on to say how far off base those thoughts ended up being, and how difficult it's been. But now he’s finally starting to get comfortable. I think we can all see it recently so I’m encouraged about his progress moving forward.

As for his skill level I completely agree. I mean how many QB's are as fast as JP, but also capable of being pocket passers. Throw in his size and arm strength and you nearly have a prototype QB. Few in the history of this game have had the natural talent Losman has at QB. Elway early in his career would probably be the most comparable guy I can think of. Coincidentally they share the same number. I hope it’s no coincidence JP's starting to have a penchant for comebacks. Elway also didn’t experience his best years until later in his career.

tools is the key word right now. I say he has more tools than Favre or even Brady.. it's just his mental abilities that I think everyone agrees that he lacks.

Agree with more physical tools than most QB's in the NFL. Disagree with you that he lacks the mental ability. What you've seen against the Texans and Jags is what he can do with a little time in the pocket.

851638[/snapback]

I would say his "mental abilities" are not fully matured....I don't think there is

a lack of "mental abilities".

OK, I am happy with the way the kid is coming along, but the above is over the top.  :blink:

851939[/snapback]

How many QB's run a 4.65, that can throw as hard as Losman, who aren't complete disasters when they stay in the pocket? Examples please. Sure we can get into the freaks like Vick but those guys have zero chance at ever staying in the pocket. It's a bold sounding statement because JP’s not the best player right now, but the statement doesn't refer to how he plays, just what he was born with.

851638[/snapback]

I would disagree in that he has shown mental ability that is easily the norm in terms of textbook knowledge of the offensive scheme and the plays. What he seems to lack which can be called mental ability is the ability to put this book knowledge and his physical skills together at the same time.

He has shown a lack of something which could be called "mental ability" but we would all benefit from folks explaining what they mean when using this buzz phrase.

IMHO JP has shown throughout his career and also some this year that he runs into trouble when he tries to do a bumch of things at the same time and one of them is a new way of operating instead of the instinctive improvisation he did well with running for his life behind the Tulane sieve OL.

He has a problem and screws up, but responds well to training and fixes it. The coaches add something, and then he screws up again. However, rather than screwing up the new thing, he can become so focused on doing it, what he screws up is some elemental part of the game.

For example, he got thrown in doing mop-up for Bledsoe and got his clocked cleaned by NE as he simply had not mastered calling and running the plays.

His next game he did get the calls right handing off to McGahee several times in a row for a TD, but not before getting called for a delay of game penalty as he focused so much on calling the plays that initially he failed to control the huddle and transfer info smoothly.

The next game, he avoided the penaltym but still had to take a stupid TO to acoid the flag when his job was to run the clock. He did lead the team to a TD though,

Finally in his next appearance he showed the talent Mort was referring to when he pulled off a nice scramble on 3rd down to get the first down and keep the clock moving. However, he did give us all pause because he had picked up the 1st but instead of sliding in bounds he delivered a hit on the tackler to get a meaningless two yards and went OB to stop the clock.

This is JP. Quite talented as he used his legs and threw a nice pass to score each time after the first debacle, but even though he improved from being killed, to merely taking a needless penalty, to merely taking a needless TO, to subjecting himself to a needless hit in his quest for a score, it clearly is a slow process.

In 2006 we saw a new version of his slow learning as his game once again improved greatly as he was clearly in over his head as a starter last year to the point some accused him of having happy feet. However, this year he hangs in the pocket and sometimes takes a hit with the best of 'em, but the new sideeffect which emerged was a bad habit of focusing too much on the player he is throwing to.

He seems to have tamed this beast to the extent he has led the team to wins in 3 of the last 4 games and managed the O pretty well in a game where they were clearly outclassed by Indy. Perhaps he has finally learned how to multi-task. We'll see.

However, I have no problem with his ability to grasp the plays, the scheme and even to make good judgments about where to throw. However. he has not shown us yet the ability to multi-task and do it all at the same time though the results the last two weeks are promising.

Ummm...Mort... Losman came into the league with more tools than 80% of the quarterbacks. His toolset hasn't really been upgraded all that much, except perhaps some physical strength from maturity. His head and play is the only difference, not the tools. Jeff george has better tools than 80% of the QBs in the league, too.

As for his skill level I completely agree. I mean how many QB's are as fast as JP, but also capable of being pocket passers. Throw in his size and arm strength and you nearly have a prototype QB.

851670[/snapback]

JP is 6'2 217.

The prototypical size for a QB is 6'4-6'6, and heavier than 217.