Dick Jauron is doing a good job

Mikie2times

Besides special teams we don't do anything well. Some will take that as a knock on Dick Jauron's coaching. If this was his third season I would feel the same way. The way I see it is we have marginal and young talent all over the roster. This is a bad team, but this bad team just got its 4th win. It's sad to say but I think 4 out of 10 with who we have is a very good job. Last year we probably had more talent to work with and the same systems yet Mularkey only won 5.

Besides special teams we don't do anything well. Some will take that as a knock on Dick Jauron's coaching. If this was his third season I would feel the same way. The way I see it is we have marginal and young talent all over the roster. This is a bad team, but this bad team just got its 4th win. It's sad to say but I think 4 out of 10 with who we have is a very good job. Last year we probably had more talent to work with and the same systems yet Mularkey only won 5.

843041[/snapback]

I agree with your point, this team is improving albeit there needs to be more consistency. Mularkey had far more "talent" last year on his squad but the team had so many problems that they collectively sucked. Jauron supposedly has a family approach to coaching which is what I would guess has kept this team together through some real sour losses this year.

I'm glad someone started a thread about the coaching; I've been impressed. Particularly since the bye, the coaching staff has put together game plans that gave the Bills the best opportunity for a win.

It would appear the Bills have a mature, confident coaching staff that should serve us well moving forward...we just need a further infusion of talent.

Great game yesterday -- timely plays by many.

Dick Jauron may be the most boring guy on earth but he's a helluva coach. That decision to punt and trust our defense was great and maybe turned JP's career around because it gave JP one more shot to win the game.

The Bills are 4-6 and really we don't have that much talent out there. Evans, Losman, McGahee(?), Clements, Mcgee, Fletcher-Baker, Moorman, Schobel. to be 4-6 is pretty good i think?!?

Dick Jauron may be the most boring guy on earth but he's a helluva coach.  That decision to punt and trust our defense was great and maybe turned JP's career around because it gave JP one more shot to win the game.

The Bills are 4-6 and really we don't have that much talent out there.  Evans, Losman, McGahee(?), Clements, Mcgee, Fletcher-Baker, Moorman, Schobel.  to be 4-6 is pretty good i think?!?

843073[/snapback]

Takeo Spikes is going to axe you in your sleep.

I'm glad someone started a thread about the coaching; I've been impressed.  Particularly since the bye, the coaching staff has put together game plans that gave the Bills the best opportunity for a win.

It would appear the Bills have a mature, confident coaching staff that should serve us well moving forward...we just need a further infusion of talent.

Great game yesterday -- timely plays by many.

843062[/snapback]

I am worried about the defense....The defense should have Jelled by now...Pewell hasn't figured out a way to stop the run. There were too many occassions yesterday and the previous week when the defense could not get off the field on 3rd and longs...Both Carr and Manning found enough holes to get 3rd and longs...

Dick Jauron may be the most boring guy on earth but he's a helluva coach.  That decision to punt and trust our defense was great and maybe turned JP's career around because it gave JP one more shot to win the game.

The Bills are 4-6 and really we don't have that much talent out there.  Evans, Losman, McGahee(?), Clements, Mcgee, Fletcher-Baker, Moorman, Schobel.  to be 4-6 is pretty good i think?!?

843073[/snapback]

Aaah....The same coach went for a 4th and 1 against NE on the road and the team couldn't squeeze the extra inches and he was blamed for being bold and not taking the 3 points on the road and the same coach gets praised for punting with 2 1/2 minutes left on the road. If the Texans make the 3rd and 2 and run out the clock, I am sure Jauron head would have been placed on a plate around here.. :-)

Aaah....The same coach went for a 4th and 1 against NE on the road and the team couldn't squeeze the extra inches and he was blamed for being bold and not taking the 3 points on the road and the same coach gets praised for punting with 2 1/2 minutes left on the road.  If the Texans make the 3rd and 2 and run out the clock, I am sure Jauron head would have been placed on a plate around here.. :-)

843446[/snapback]

That is true

People were going nuts around here because he went for it against NE and being blamed for having balls because the play didn't work. Now he takes the conservative approach and people are complaining he doesn't have balls and should have went for it. They praise him only because his plan eventually worked out.

That is true

People were going nuts around here because he went for it against NE and being blamed for having balls because the play didn't work. Now he takes the conservative approach and people are complaining he doesn't have balls and should have went for it. They praise him only because his plan eventually worked out.

843464[/snapback]

For the most part, they should praise him for when it works out. That's what you want from your coach. Most coaches, rightfully, do not make automatic decisions like the fans seem to think they should, like, "you always go for it at your 44 with two minutes to play", and rather decide at the point of time in the game, depending on how both teams are playing as well as your gut, which is the right thing to do. It's right when it works and it's wrong when it doesn't.

It's okay to argue after a series of decisions whether a coach has it or is lost, is too conservative or too risky, etc, after seeing a trend. But Jauron hasn't been coaching here long enough to see a trend. He seems to make his decisions at the point, and this was the right one. Over time, you can decide if the coach usually makes the right call or not, based on his success from that call and success on the scoreboard. No coach makes all the right calls, no (good) coach is always a risk taker or conservative.

Particularly since the bye, the coaching staff has put together game plans that gave the Bills the best opportunity for a win.

843062[/snapback]

Absolutely right. In fact, your statement could read "the coaching staff has put together game plans"[period] and be equally revealing about the difference between '05 and '06.

kj

843073[/snapback]

I was impressed with that too, but for a different reason. Yes, he trusted the defense to get the ball back, but he also had the clarity of mind to _realize_ that he could trust the defense. They were lights-out in the second half, despite getting torched in the first.

A good coach can "feel" the game like this and make adjustments -- which happened in spades yesterday.

It's okay to argue after a series of decisions whether a coach has it or is lost, is too conservative or too risky, etc, after seeing a trend. But Jauron hasn't been coaching here long enough to see a trend. He seems to make his decisions at the point, and this was the right one. Over time, you can decide if the coach usually makes the right call or not, based on his success from that call and success on the scoreboard. No coach makes all the right calls, no (good) coach is always a risk taker or conservative.

843485[/snapback]

I'd agree with this. No one is right 100% of the time. Personally, I agreed with the call in NE, loved it. I wasn't happy with the punt, yesterday. It did work out and, therefore, I must have been wrong. At the time, I thought there was no way in hell our defense would stop them with enough time to do anything. Again, I was wrong.

However, what do we make of the decision at the end of the 2nd quarter? We had about a minute or so on the clock and ran the time off - content with a 3 point lead. A similar decision was made last week against the Colts. In the end, I guess we didn't make a mistake and stayed in the games, but could we have scored in both (or either) of those situations and perhaps changed the game?

So far, the trend I would say we're seeing is a highly conservative one.

I must say though; I am difinitely liking the personnel decisions of this coaching staff. I'm still a little un in the air over their game time adjustment ability.

However, what do we make of the decision at the end of the 2nd quarter?  We had about a minute or so on the clock and ran the time off - content with a 3 point lead.

843543[/snapback]

I don't have a problem with that decision - one minute left from inside our 20 and getting the ball to start the 2nd half. Asking the offense to move the team 40+ yards in under a minute is a lot to ask. Too great of a chance for a sack, a penalty or turnover and giving Houston the ball back needing to get only 10 or 15 yards for a game-tying field goal.

I don't have a problem with that decision - one minute left from inside our 20 and getting the ball to start the 2nd half.  Asking the offense to move the team 40+ yards in under a minute is a lot to ask.  Too great of a chance for a sack, a penalty or turnover and giving Houston the ball back needing to get only 10 or 15 yards for a game-tying field goal.

843587[/snapback]

How about running on 3rd and 10 and throwing on 3rd and 2....

Getting very old

How about running on 3rd and 10 and throwing on 3rd and 2....

Getting very old

843607[/snapback]

Although I don't always agree with the talking heads, I heard several times this week on the radio that 3rd and 2 is a passing down in the NFL. Houston threw the ball at the end of the game when they needed 2 yards to end the game.

I don't really care what we call on 3rd and 10 - for the Bills this year, there is only a small chance of success no matter what they call.

As far as the defense goes... it often seems to give up chunks of yardage, but at the end of the game when you look at the scoreboard, rarely does it look bad especially when you take away any points given up--at least mainly--by offensive turnovers.

A key thing to know would be the current 3rd down conversion rate against the defense. The lack of getting off the field last year always bothered me and I thought it was often a product of risky, over-complicated blitzing.