My Starting Line Grades: O and D

AKC

Starting Line Grades

I’m grading our starting line play in the order of my opinion of individual player performances against the Titans.

On the Offensive side of the ball there was no better performance than that of Trey Teague, who appears to fit the Mularkey/Clements Offensive scheme perfectly. They look for their interior linemen to provide help at the second level and Teague not only has good feet but he plays very smart. He has improved his shotgun snaps to at least the level of consistent. He handles his assignments with great position and technique whether they are DLinemen or Linebackers. He also is very good at helping the guys to his sides, and part of his improved play is no doubt due to having stronger players on each side in our current depth chart than he has had in the past. Marv and Steve Tasker credited a nice Henry run to a block Villarial makes along the LOS, and it’s true that is one of three excellent blocks that spring the play, but the block most responsible is the second level block Teague comes across the field to make.

Jonas Jennings played a solid game in a scheme that asks the Tackles to predominantly hold their edge rusher. Jonas looks ready for the regular season.

Chris Villarial appears to be past the dings he was suffering from last week. He was a lot more the player advertised when we signed him- tenacious in holding his blocks, good to very good feet, and better at pass blocking than he might be getting credit for. One of four guys to have quality days on our Oline.

Make no mistake that in our offense in ’04 Mark Campbell is a starting Offensive Lineman. And in fact against the Titans he was one of the 4 players I’m including as having very good outings. He is holding his blocks longer than I remember last season, getting involved and getting good position even considering that his body is a little long. I’d guess he’s getting a lot of time with Jim McNally and if that’s true he may be one of the first signs of McNally’s skill in improving blocking along the LOS. I’d credit him with at least three difference making run blocks during the first half, with one being one of the three excellent blocks in the Henry run I referred to above.

Lawrence Smith is a better choice to start than Mike Pucillo if for no other reason than he’s much stronger. Even playing too high and frequently letting defenders get under his pads he is far more begrudging giving up ground in pass protection than the former starter. He holds good position inside and keeps his head in plays, making a good comeback block to salvage a little screen to the other side of the field. That said he is a liability in the run offense. He runs with little coordination or quickness when he gets in space and this offense places a premium on those skills. But all things considered he right now is clearly the best choice to start among the current candidates.

Big Mike. S-L-O-W. If his assignment is stupid enough to engage him off the snap he will engulf them. But rarely do our opponents do that, and he just isn’t moving his feet with the same speed we saw a lot last year. One sack came from his inability to get position filling for a pulling Villarial, and it was a play that you’d expect most Tackles to make the two step slide over to protect. The current biggest liability on the line, and that’s good news that he has supplanted the LG position because I have every expectation that in a month he can get up to speed and become an asset in this scheme, possibly a major asset.

Lastly I should include Ross Tucker because of the reps he got with the first unit. I don’t believe he has the balance necessary to play the position at this time, and that’s something that some players are never able to overcome, although there are training methods to improve on it. He’s too rough to challenge for anything more than the back up spot there, and based upon how “comfortable” Pucillo looked against 2nd and 3rd stringers there’s an outside shot- but not much of one- that he could hold a spot on the roster. I wouldn’t bet on it.

On the other side of the ball Pat and Sam are superior DTs playing excellent ball for the second pre-season game.

Our DEs, who were a high point last week against Denver Tackles who are not nearly as effective one on one pass blockers as the Titans, were for the most part disappointing.

Aaron Schobel does not have the confidence in his inside move yet to use it more frequently and it hurt him against Titan’s LT . Schobel more resembled the rookie we saw running wide on most plays against Tennessee simply because he refused to go inside and push this week. Krumrie needs to force him to employ the move to keep blockers honest and also because he’s getting much better at it.

The Titan’s RT Fred Miller pretty easily handled both Kelsay and Denney, although I’d tip the better performance to Denney. It was a match-up advantage that Kelsay lost to the veteran OT who has a lot better feet than the 2nd year George Foster both faced against Denver last week. Kelsay was able to get under and push the youngster- no such luck with Miller, and Kelsay even seemed hesitant to try to drive rush him. Denney played him smarter and kept himself in plays longer.

One thing I’m noticing about Krumrie coached linemen is that they do a great job of keeping the visual focus on the ball. I only noticed one major gaffe on that concentration when Schobel completely blows an easy draw stuff by looking up field at the QB instead of following the ball, costing our Defense a Titan first down on 3rd and 10.

Ron Edwards is another guy who just doesn’t seem to have the balance to play in the trenches. He’s frequently trying to merely maintaining his upright position instead of using his size and strength to force his position on blockers.

Bannon lets himself get overpowered too frequently to be a quality contributor IMO. I’m sure he’s done everything the team has asked as far as training and diet but he does nothing to impress me.

Keith McKenzie doesn't appear to be able to overcome his injuries. He's on the field getting pushed around by Tight Ends.

Lastly I’ve been watching Tim Anderson but it doesn’t look to me that he’ll contribute much to the ’04 campaign. He is awful at using his arms right now and that’s at least a full season skill to pick up in this league. Krumrie may get him there for next year but I don’t see it happening any time soon.

I sure hope you're right about teague. Big mike? well, all i can say is he has a month, or else someone will be running his ram off the road instead of him doing it himself. Campbell? This dude is the key to the running game as far as i'm concerned. He's going to be the guy to block on the outside for henry and to act as the PA dump off guy. He reminds me of reimersma, in the fact that he's white and can also catch the ball and take a hit. I'm really excited to watch him play. I didn't see the game, so its hard for me to comment much more, but hopefully i'll be able to catch next week's game somewhere so i can see the line play (although they won't be in for too long against the dolts).

Starting Line Grades

I’m grading our starting line play in the order of my opinion of individual player performances against the Titans.

On the Offensive side of the ball there was no better performance than that of Trey Teague, who appears to fit the Mularkey/Clements Offensive scheme perfectly. They look for their interior linemen to provide help at the second level and Teague not only has good feet but he plays very smart. He has improved his shotgun snaps to at least the level of consistent. He handles his assignments with great position and technique whether they are DLinemen or Linebackers. He also is very good at helping the guys to his sides, and part of his improved play is no doubt due to having stronger players on each side in our current depth chart than he has had in the past. Marv and Steve Tasker credited a nice Henry run to a block Villarial makes along the LOS, and it’s true that is one of three excellent blocks that spring the play, but the block most responsible is the second level block Teague comes across the field to make.

Jonas Jennings played a solid game in a scheme that asks the Tackles to predominantly hold their edge rusher. Jonas looks ready for the regular season.

Chris Villarial appears to be past the dings he was suffering from last week. He was a lot more the player advertised when we signed him- tenacious in holding his blocks, good to very good feet, and better at pass blocking than he might be getting credit for. One of four guys to have quality days on our Oline.

Make no mistake that in our offense in ’04 Mark Campbell is a starting Offensive Lineman. And in fact against the Titans he was one of the 4 players I’m including as having very good outings. He is holding his blocks longer than I remember last season, getting involved and getting good position even considering that his body is a little long. I’d guess he’s getting a lot of time with Jim McNally and if that’s true he may be one of the first signs of McNally’s skill in improving blocking along the LOS. I’d credit him with at least three difference making run blocks during the first half, with one being one of the three excellent blocks in the Henry run I referred to above.

Lawrence Smith is a better choice to start than Mike Pucillo if for no other reason than he’s much stronger. Even playing to high and frequently letting defenders get under his pads he is far more begrudging giving up ground in pass protection than the former starter. He holds good position inside and keeps his head in plays, making a good comeback block to salvage a little screen to the other side of the field. That said he is a liability in the run offense. He runs with little coordination or quickness when he gets in space and this offense places a premium on those skills. But all things considered he right now is clearly the best choice at starter of the current candidates.

Big Mike. S-L-O-W. If his assignment is stupid enough to engage him off the snap he will engulf them. But rarely do our opponents do that, and he just isn’t moving his feet with the same speed we saw a lot last year. One sack came from his inability to get position filling for a pulling Villarial, and it was a play that you’d expect most Tackles to make the two step slide over to protect. The current biggest liability on the line, and tha’s good news that he has supplanted the LG position because I have every expectation that in a month he can get up to speed and become an asset in this scheme, possibly  a major asset.

Lastly I should include Ross Tucker because of the reps he got with the first unit. I don’t believe he has the balance necessary to play the position at this time, and that’s something that some players are never able to overcome, although there are training methods to improve on it. He’s too rough to challenge for anything more than the  back up spot there, and based upon how “comfortable” Pucillo looked against 2nd and 3rd stringers there’s an outside shot- but not much of one- that he could hold a spot on the roster. I wouldn’t bet on it.

On the other side of the ball Pat and Sam are superior DTs playing excellent ball for the second pre-season game.

Our DEs, who were a high point last week against Denver Tackles who are not nearly as effective one on one pass blockers as the Titans, we for the most part disappointing.

Aaron Schobel does not have the confidence in his inside move yet to use it more frequently and it hurt him against Titan’s LT . Schobel more resembled the rookie we saw running wide on most plays against Tennessee simply because he refused to go inside and push this week. Krumrie needs to force him to employ the move to keep blocker honest and also because he’s getting much better at it.

The Titan’s RT Fred Miller pretty easily handled both Kelsay and Denney, although I’d tip the better performance to Denney. It was a match-up advantage that Kelsay lost to the veteran OT who has a lot better feet than the 2nd year George Foster both faced against  Denver last week. Kelsay was able to get under and push the youngster- no such luck with Morris, and Kelsay even seemed hesitant to try to drive rush him. Denney played him smarter and kept himself in plays longer.

One thing I’m noticing about Krumrie coached linemen is that they do a great job of keeping the visual focus on the ball. I only noticed one major gaffe on that concentration when Schobel completely blows an easy draw stuff by looking up field at the QB instead of following the ball, costing our Defense a Titan first down on 3rd and 10.

Ron Edwards is another guy who just doesn’t seem to have the balance to play in the trenches. He’s frequently trying to merely maintaining his upright position instead of using his size and strength to force his position on blockers.

Bannon lets himself get overpowered too frequently to be a quality contributor IMO. I’m sure he’s done everything the team has asked as far as training and diet but he does nothing to impress me.

Lastly I’ve been watching Tim Anderson but it doesn’t look to me that he’ll contribute much to the ’04 campaign. He is awful at using his arms right now and that’s a full season skill to pick up in this league. Krumrie may get him there for next year but I don’t see it happening any time soon.

3710[/snapback]

i didn't see the game either but your insight was excellent and it is much appreciated by us out of towners.. thank you and thank you! i'm glad to hear that teague and the rest of the oline looked overall decent. i just wish that williams wouldn't have slacked in the off season so he was up to par with the rest of the line. the only thing that really worries me about our oline gelling by the first game against the jags (because their front four is SOLID) and depth at certain positions on it. i'm crosssing my fingers that everyone stays healthy.

Thanx mac, now I can sit down and just relax in front of the game instead of dickin with the clicker.

A note on Larry Smith: Agreed he doesn't move real well in space and that he's not going to be especially effective when pulling the trap/getting out on screens/etc. But I don't think it makes him a liability in the rungame because he can still drive and from what I've seen he's a very good in-line blocker.

Cya

Thanx mac, now I can sit down and just relax in front of the game instead of dickin with the clicker.

A note on Larry Smith: Agreed he doesn't move real well in space and that he's not going to be especially effective when pulling the trap/getting out on screens/etc. But I don't think it makes him a liability in the rungame because he can still drive and from what I've seen he's a very good in-line blocker.

Cya

3867[/snapback]

One other thing I'm beginning to sense is that Teague is adopting a leadership role on the field. There's a "field dispute" where he seems to have his own teammates attention. It makes sense that we'd have a void there with the departure of Ruben and our other vets being young.

OK AKC and Simon. I'm starting to come around to Teague. I was glued to the line in the 1st quarter. Teague took much better blocking angles and didn't seem to be lost, looking for a lineman who already was by him, like last season. McNally may have helped this guy more than anyone.

I did like what I saw of our Guards, Chris V. and Smith. DB had a solid pocket and seemed decisive when releasing the ball. He was very sharp. Jennings is so solid and I'm hoping he's the guy we target to sign, all Falcons talk aside. (Wouldn't throw the big $$ at Schobel... or Pat Williams, who I still like ) Mike WIlliams actually had some good blocks but will always struggle with the wide speed rusher, unless McNally can solve that problem.

I like that Luke Lawton. Blocks well and has good hands for the swing pass.

That was superb. I missed just about everything about the game last night and haven't even read much yet today, but that's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Great stuff! I give you an A+.

Great analysis AKC ! I just got back from my honeymoon late last night and have missed everything basically from the Denver game until today. Thanks for getting me up to speed  :rolleyes:

4173[/snapback]

Hey, congrats on your marriage, sailor. Hope you had an awesome time and best of luck to both of you.

Hey, congrats on your marriage, sailor. Hope you had an awesome time and best of luck to both of you.

4176[/snapback]

Thanks Kelly. We did have a great time indeed! Stopped first at the Hamptons and then spent this past week in Bar Harbor, ME which was simply breathtaking :rolleyes: I could never possibly have too much Seafood, hiking , canoeing, etc. in an Ocean/Mountain setting! . BTW, thanks to all (namely Rockpile) for all the travel tips and suggestions.

It's nice to come back online and have this be one of the first threads I look into. :D

Great analysis AKC ! I just got back from my honeymoon late last night and have missed everything basically from the Denver game until today. Thanks for getting me up to speed  :rolleyes:

4173[/snapback]

Just back from your honeymoon? Then you'd be a bit----depleted? This might help-

Honeymoon Remedy

After reviewing 1st half focusing solely on OL, I feel even better than yesterday. There was a definitive push for the run that was absent in past few years. Imagine an anomaly of a run on 3rd and 3. Maybe I'm jaded, but I don't know if had tackles pulling as much last year, as we had on Sat.

Big Mike is a monster in run blocking. On Willis' first big run, MW cleared the entire right side. Villarreal made the big block on Travis's gallop, and the whole line was smoking upfield for follow up blocks.

But, pass protection needs some more work. MW still has the mental blocks on stunts, and the lateral movement is a tad slow. But if he actually gets a chance to engage a DL, there's no escape.

BTW, I can't see how people are blaming DB for Henry's fumble. The exchange looked clean, and Travis took three steps before the ball was poked out. Even if it was a bad exchange, wouldn't you expect the RB to correct the ball placement w/in three steps?

BTW, I can't see how people are blaming DB for Henry's fumble.  The exchange looked clean, and Travis took three steps before the ball was poked out.  Even if it was a bad exchange, wouldn't you expect the RB to correct the ball placement w/in three steps?

4355[/snapback]

Well, Drew took some of the blame on himself at the post-game press conference. That said, I saw the same thing you did, then ran it back frame-by-frame to make sure. Didn't see so much as a bobble before the LB punched the ball; looked to me like TH was carrying the ball in his hand (and hence, out away from his body) again.

That one's on Travis.

4173[/snapback]

Yes. excellent..You probably should fax this to MM and he might give you

a Assitant Quality Control job (the pass to becoming the head coach of

the bills later, like a former bills HC :-) )

MW still has the mental blocks on stunts,

I'm not sure what this means, if anything, but last week that side of the line also had difficulty dealing with some Bronco twists when Too Big Mike wasn't in there.

At least Saturday wasn't as bad as last year's Tenn game whne you caught BigMike and Pucillo/Sulivan(?) being eaten alive by Kearse and Carter.

Cya

I'm not sure what this means, if anything, but last week that side of the line also had difficulty dealing with some Bronco twists when Too Big Mike wasn't in there.

At least Saturday wasn't as bad as last year's Tenn game whne you caught BigMike and Pucillo/Sulivan(?) being eaten alive by Kearse and Carter.

Cya

4510[/snapback]

I'll be willing to chalk it up to MW's learning process of McNally's & Mularkey's systems and that Big Mike should come into form. Just a half step faster to his right, and he will be a dominating T. Good test this weekend vs Freeney.

Archived