New Concept here, All-time great songs

justnzane

Because others already have posted Stairway to Heaven, I will go with the Beatles. There is so much to choose from. I am going to go with a song that some may not consider is their best, but it is my favorite:

Here Comes the Sun.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because others already have posted Stairway to Heaven, I will go with the Beatles.  There is so much to choose from.  I am going to go with a song that some may not consider is their best, but it is my favorite:

Here Comes the Sun.

831664[/snapback]

Good choice.

Personally I like "Band on the Run" better.

Because others already have posted Stairway to Heaven, I will go with the Beatles.  There is so much to choose from.  I am going to go with a song that some may not consider is their best, but it is my favorite:

Here Comes the Sun.

831664[/snapback]

Was that a Beatles song or a George Harrison song?

Its one of my favorites, but I always thought it was from Harrisons solo carreer

"Sympathy For the Devil" by the Rolling Stones...it still sounds tastefully nasty, 40 years later, and contains the best guitar licks Keith Richards ever recorded...if you ever have the patience to watch the Jean Luc Goodard film (just skip through all the political bs interspersed throughout, to the Stones stuff), of the same name, it documents the band writing the song, in the studio...it starts out as sort of a simple, plantiff folk song (not unlike an earl Dylan song) and evolves into something far more complex.

"Sympathy For the Devil" by the Rolling Stones...it still sounds tastefully nasty, 40 years later, and contains the best guitar licks Keith Richards ever recorded...if you ever have the patience to watch the Jean Luc Goodard film (just skip through all the political bs interspersed throughout, to the Stones stuff), of the same name, it documents the band writing the song, in the studio...it starts out as sort of a simple, plantiff folk song (not unlike an earl Dylan song) and evolves into something far more complex.

831759[/snapback]

Seconded. If you follow or sing along with the lyrics, it's epic.

The jangles, the drum.... Mick in full-yell "I shouted out 'Who killed the Kennedys?!' when after all, it was you and me."

Seconded. If you follow or sing along with the lyrics, it's epic.

The jangles, the drum.... Mick in full-yell "I shouted out 'Who killed the Kennedys?!' when after all, it was you and me."

831767[/snapback]

The Jangles absolutely did NOT sing backup on that. They were way too young at the time.

831759[/snapback]

Good one, although my personnal favorite is "Give me Shelter"

Good one, although my personnal favorite is "Give me Shelter"

831848[/snapback]

Yeah, I almost said that too, but since we could only pick one...

I just saw the Stones a couple weeks ago, and "Sympathy For the Devil" still sounds great...love "Gimmie Shelter" and "Midnight Rambler" as well. I guess I give "SFTD" a slight nod, because it is more original than the others, and has so much texture. The other two are amazing songs, but variations on standard blues.

I also have to mention "Stray Cat Blues"...hard to believe how nasty the Stones could really sound in their heyday.

At the risk of inspiring a bunch of responses about how old the Stones are, and how much they suck, I would put their output from 1968-1973 with any musical act...to me, it more than makes up for what ever crap they put out the last 20 years or so...

Here Comes the Sun.

831664[/snapback]

Good choice. I cannot hear that song and not smile. It elevates my mood everytime I hear it. George Harrison is the man!