New Concept here, All-time great songs

justnzane

"Sympathy For the Devil" by the Rolling Stones...it still sounds tastefully nasty, 40 years later, and contains the best guitar licks Keith Richards ever recorded...if you ever have the patience to watch the Jean Luc Goodard film (just skip through all the political bs interspersed throughout, to the Stones stuff), of the same name, it documents the band writing the song, in the studio...it starts out as sort of a simple, plantiff folk song (not unlike an earl Dylan song) and evolves into something far more complex.

831759[/snapback]

IMO Keiths best guitar licks were in Cant You Hear Me Knocking? He jams in that one! Keith has style

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO Keiths best guitar licks were in Cant You Hear Me Knocking?  He jams in that one!  Keith has style

832182[/snapback]

Another great song from that era, but the lead on that one is actually Mick Taylor, another fine guitar picker...Keith has never been a guitar technician, just very tasteful in what he does. IIRC, Ry Cooder is even along for the ride on that one. When they played this live, on the '95 tour, Ronnie Wood handled the leads...not to say Keith can't do it (or couldn't- his hands are looking a little arthritic these days), just that he didn't do it a lot.

"Changes" by Tupac

"Brenda's Got A Baby" by Tupac

I know I broke the rule by posting 2 songs in one post, but I figured it was by the same artist so why not.

832242[/snapback]

"I see no changes, wake in the morning and i ask myself is life worth living or should i blast myself..."

"I see no changes, wake in the morning and i ask myself is life worth living or should i blast myself..."

832251[/snapback]

The song is just amazing. I cant think of another song that has more powerful lyrics than "Changes." It still amazes me when people refer to his death as "just another rapper dying" ... it wasnt. His death pretty much (with the exception of a few inlcuding Common), ended poetry in the rap genre.

The song is just amazing. I cant think of another song that has more powerful lyrics than "Changes." It still amazes me when people refer to his death as "just another rapper dying" ... it wasnt. His death pretty much (with the exception of a few inlcuding Common), ended poetry in the rap genre.

832253[/snapback]

since he died, the only ones that really have been talented have been Common, Eminem(pre-8mile) (in a satirical way), and Outkast (not their poppy stuff, but more of their early stuff like Rosa Parks, B.O.B). those have the only really lyrically sound rappers since his death.

Far too often, i watch the videos or hang w/ buddies and wanna vomit over the crap spewing from rappers mouths now and days, because it is so meaningless, and about how they getting paid.

since he died, the only ones that really have been talented have been Common, Eminem(pre-8mile) (in a satirical way), and Outkast (not their poppy stuff, but more of their early stuff like Rosa Parks, B.O.B). those have the only really lyrically sound rappers since his death.

Far too often, i watch the videos or hang w/ buddies and wanna vomit over the crap spewing from rappers mouths now and days, because it is so meaningless, and about how they getting paid.

832255[/snapback]

Very much agreed. Eminem I liked but only because of the humour ... now he has turned very serious and I kinda blanked him out of the picture.

Rap songs now revolve around a few themes:

1. How many "ho's" they can get

2. How tough they are and how they will kill you (Tupac actually wrote "Im NOT a killer, but dont push me")

3. The money they have and thus the girls want them

Its total garbage. Not to mention nearly every beat sounds the same these days.

Good choice.  I cannot hear that song and not smile.  It elevates my mood everytime I hear it.  George Harrison is the man!

832181[/snapback]

That is the main reason why that song is my favorite song of all time.

For my day two pick, I choose:

U2 - I will follow.

There are so many songs from which to choose. I am choosing this song because, not only is it a great song, it is my four year old son's favorite song and we jumping around in the family room and singing it.

What can I say -- my son has great taste in music for a little guy.

Very much agreed. Eminem I liked but only because of the humour ... now he has turned very serious and I kinda blanked him out of the picture.

Rap songs now revolve around a few themes:

1. How many "ho's" they can get

2. How tough they are and how they will kill you (Tupac actually wrote "Im NOT a killer, but dont push me")

3. The money they have and thus the girls want them

Its total garbage. Not to mention nearly every beat sounds the same these days.

832257[/snapback]

Not to ruffle feathers, but basically you are saying that Notorious BIG wasn't that good and couldn't talk about the same thing tupac did?

Try this on for size...

"I'm seeing body after body and our mayor Giuliani

Ain't trying to see no black man turn into John Gotti

My daughter use a potty so she's older now

Educated street knowledge I'ma mold 'er now

Trick 'er little dope bying young girls tringes

Dealing with the dope fiend binges

Seeing syringes in the veins

Hard to explain how I maintain

The crack smoke makes my brain feel so strange"

I know that Changes is a great song with very powerful lyrics, i am not disputing that. As a matter of fact i even used lyrics from "Changes" to counter-act Moose's comments that there was nothing in rap to sing about. All i am asking is that we show a little more respect for the B-I-G.

As for my song, first but not last...

Odis Redding - Sittin' on the dock of the bay.

More to come in six hours.

Not to ruffle feathers, but basically you are saying that Notorious BIG wasn't that good and couldn't talk about the same thing tupac did?

Try this on for size...

"I'm seeing body after body and our mayor Giuliani

Ain't trying to see no black man turn into John Gotti

My daughter use a potty so she's older now

Educated street knowledge I'ma mold 'er now

Trick 'er little dope bying young girls tringes

Dealing with the dope fiend binges

Seeing syringes in the veins

Hard to explain how I maintain

The crack smoke makes my brain feel so strange"

I know that Changes is a great song with very powerful lyrics, i am not disputing that. As a matter of fact i even used lyrics from "Changes" to counter-act Moose's comments that there was nothing in rap to sing about. All i am asking is that we show a little more respect for the B-I-G.

As for my song, first but not last...

Odis Redding - Sittin' on the dock of the bay.

More to come in six hours.

832339[/snapback]

No I actually never mentioned BIG and I dont even think he popped in my mind during those posts. Yet now that you bring him up ... sorry to say but those lyrics are elementary compared to Tupac. Even in 94,95,96 when the feud was going back/forth BIG was known for this melody driven rap and his poppy sound (mostly recognized in "Biggy, Biggy, Biggy, cant you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me" Tupac wasnt about poppy songs that stick with people. He was about WORDS that stick with people. Not only were Tupac's raps better, his poems beat out anything BIG wrote in his songs.

Now I'm lost and I'm weary, so many tears

I'm suicidal, so don't stand near me

My every move is a calculated step, to bring me closer

to embrace an early death, now there's nothin left

There was no mercy on the streets, I couldn't rest

I'm barely standin, bout to go to pieces, screamin peace

And though my soul was deleted, I couldn't see it

I had my mind full of demons tryin to break free

They planted seeds and they hatched, sparkin the flame

inside my brain like a match, such a dirty game

I exist in the depths of solitude

pondering my true goal

trying to find peace of mind

and still preserve my soul

constantly yearning to be accepted

and from all receive respect

never comprising but sometimes risky

and that is my only regret

a young heart with an old soul

how can there be peace

how can i be in the depths of solitude

when there are two inside of me

this duo within me causes

the perfect oppurtunity

too learn and live twice as fast

as those who accept simplicity

No I actually never mentioned BIG and I dont even think he popped in my mind during those posts. Yet now that you bring him up ... sorry to say but those lyrics are elementary compared to Tupac. Even in 94,95,96 when the feud was going back/forth BIG was known for this melody driven rap and his poppy sound (mostly recognized in "Biggy, Biggy, Biggy, cant you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me" Tupac wasnt about poppy songs that stick with people. He was about WORDS that stick with people. Not only were Tupac's raps better, his poems beat out anything BIG wrote in his songs.

832354[/snapback]

See now that is what most people are mistaken by. BIG's philosophy was that you had to have the poppy songs for public display and to make money. That was one thing that Jay Z actually claimed that BIG stressed to him. His philosophy was you draw people in with the poppy songs and get them to buy your album, and then your "filler" songs are all real rap songs.

Granted BIG didn't always address society as a whole the way tupac did, but talk about a guy who could capture an entire culture in just a few rhymes. His songs put you in the mindset of being a drug slinger and an outlaw and gives you a picture of what it is like to do the things he does/did and feel guilty about capitalizing on people's weaknesses and the scenes in ghetto's.

I know you and I may never see on an equal platform when it comes to this debate, in fact we will probably argue this until death, but i think BIG catches a little bit of a bad rep as a rapper because of his "poppy" songs that people really knew and listened to on the radio, and not the stuff underneath those songs that filled out his CD's and were the songs that really mattered in making him one of the best rappers of all time.

"California Girls" by the Beach Boys.

According to Wikipedia, the song was written shortly after Brian Wilson had his first experience with LSD. Therefore, it was written shortly before he went nuts.

Hard to believe that song is 41 years old...and even harder to believe, it's been 21 years since David Lee Roth covered it.