Evans not cutting it as #1 WR ...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why would you only judge a WR based on the # of TD catches he has? That is downright silly. It's a bad statistic, not a good measuring stick at all.

Let's look inside the numbers.

Evans has the 14th most receptions in the whole NFL. Since each team starts 2 WRs, that's 14th out of 64 starting WRs. Pretty good.

He's 28th in receiving yardage -- out of 64, not too bad. He's 10th in the AFC in receiving yardage. JP has completed 122 passes for 1313 yards. 30.3% of them have been to Evans. Evans has 33% of the Bills total passing yardage this season. To compare, Marvin Harrison has 28.1 % of the Colts passing yardage. So evans actually has accounted for more relative production than harrison.

Where he hasn't been great is yards per catch, a result of not getting him the ball in space. He's at 11.6 yds/catch, which isn't that great, and puts him out of the top 40. Too many of his routes are hooks, curls, slants in tight. But that is a result of the offense, and overall poor offensive production. His long is only 27 yards, which for a guy like Evans is not good enough.

Also keep in mind he is double teamed a majority of the time, without another big threat to make defenses worry about.

Your nuts if u put it on Evans. He has played well, and he's a legit #1 WR. And he's only in his 3rd year, and will only get better.

======================

Bye the way, what's your fascination with Moulds? At this point in his career he's nothing better than mediocre. Your the one who absolutely guaranteed we would trade TO to the Eagles for Moulds. How did that work out for ya?

p.s. -- Andre Johnson being healthy for the 1st time since his rookie year, and Carr's development, has more to do with his performance than Moulds. By your measuring stick (TD catches), Mould sucks too, he only has 1.

I'll echo the sentiments above. Evans needs a solid big target at #2 WR. For example, if the bills had a #2 WR in the mold of keyshawn, Evans numbers would skyrocket.

824561[/snapback]

Wouldn't Calvin Thompson of Georgia Tech look good in a Buffalo Bills uniform next year?

Evans should have at least 4 TD's by now...if it weren't for Losman overthrowing him all the time...

and he dropped that one in the end zone against the pats.

824575[/snapback]

Name 3 teams Losman has overthrown Evans in the endzone.

And David Carr was benched? Thats ridiculous. He had 1,217, 9 TD's and 4 INT's with a 70% completion percentage and 94 Qb rating. How the heck could you bench him?

Evans is a #1 Wr, BUT Jp hasn't given him the ball.  I don't think Jp trusts Evans.  I think Evans get thrown to 3 times a game and everyone else gets thrown to more.

824548[/snapback]

What the hell are you talking about? Evans has been JP's go-to receiver since JP has played. Evans is averaging over 5 receptions a game. I'm all for uninformed opinions, otherwise I wouldn't read this board, but this one is way out there.

RTB

yah, the smart thing to do would have been to keep the aging, declining, 10 yards per catch (absolutely horrible for a WR) moulds for 7 million.  :w00t:

824474[/snapback]

EXACTLY..lol!!---I think Moulds is coming up on 34 ..--And the equation gets better when you have a poor O line and a QB with happy feet unable to get him the ball. Thank God we got rid of him. Poor decision Houston.

-Moulds would have been a great fit for New England or Pittsburgh..

Aahh....another aspect to blame Losman for. People need to get off this Losman tirade and move on. Moulds had a lousy year and did not provide the Veteran presence to calm down a young QB during the game. He rather went pouting that he couldn't get the ball and wanting a Holcomb to come in.

why not? we have the cap room.  you cant possibly tell me the passing game wasns't better without moulds

824495[/snapback]

Yes I can.

Last year....

29th in passing....157.2 YPG

This year....

28th in passing....162.9 YPG

:w00t:

Evans is a WR who is at his best downfield, which means the QB has to be able to take a 5 step drop and throw.  In Buffalo, by the fifth step Losman has someone coming clean at him probably 80% of the time.  Literally.  Teams do not respect the Bills O-line and they know if they really need to hit the QB they can send one extra man and it's a guarantee that they will get there.

That said, Evans has improved greatly in the short passing game and running after the catch.  He's a true #1, he gets open, he catches nearly everything and he makes plays after the catch.  The Bills haven't had a receiver do all of those things since Moulds and Price were together in 2002, and Evans is faster, smarter, runs better routes and has better hands and a better attitude than Moulds ever did.

824527[/snapback]

Thankyou. Well said.