The past 7 years.........a look back at the Bills

That is a good article. I agree with the points being made.

One thing though: Sure, the Bills have had a lot of mediocre talent on the o-line the past few years, but at some point, don't you have to start to wonder if this Jim McNally clown is EVER going to make something good happen? Or will Buffalo remain a QB killer forever? McNally was supposed to be a savior, an o-line genius. Why have we been willing to grant him so many mulligans? I say next year is his last chance, after we hopefully make upgrading the o-line the top priority this off-season.

That is a good article.  I agree with the points being made.

One thing though:  Sure, the Bills have had a lot of mediocre talent on the o-line the past few years, but at some point, don't you have to start to wonder if this Jim McNally clown is EVER going to make something good happen?  Or will Buffalo remain a QB killer forever?  McNally was supposed to be a savior, an o-line genius.  Why have we been willing to grant him so many mulligans?  I say next year is his last chance, after we hopefully make upgrading the o-line the top priority this off-season.

822908[/snapback]

Is it the chef or the ingredients? We certainly haven't seen any o-line talent come through in awhile (except for Jason Peters - possibly the only "gem" we found over the last 7 years).

I say next year is his last chance, after we hopefully make upgrading the o-line the top priority this off-season.

822908[/snapback]

I think the next 8 games is the last chance for McNally.....It will be time to move on if he does not solve the OL problems, considering that lots of the errors made

by the OL are mental (we are leading in false start penalties).

That is a good article.  I agree with the points being made.

One thing though:  Sure, the Bills have had a lot of mediocre talent on the o-line the past few years, but at some point, don't you have to start to wonder if this Jim McNally clown is EVER going to make something good happen?  Or will Buffalo remain a QB killer forever?  McNally was supposed to be a savior, an o-line genius.  Why have we been willing to grant him so many mulligans?  I say next year is his last chance, after we hopefully make upgrading the o-line the top priority this off-season.

822908[/snapback]

RIDICULOUS---we are not a QB killer. DB played the same in dallas as he did here. RJ with and without the Bills. Flutie as a starter and Holcomb as a backup were/are good . We have a decent back up QB now. We now need a decent starting QB.

RIDICULOUS---we are not a QB killer.  DB played the same in dallas as he did here. RJ with and without the Bills. Flutie as a starter and Holcomb as a backup were/are good . We have a decent back up QB now. We now need a decent starting QB.

823357[/snapback]

We have the makings of a decent starting QB in Losman.

I think the next 8 games is the last chance for McNally.....

822931[/snapback]

Ditto.

And I'd think the feeling may be mutual. For some reason, McNally hasn't found success here in his hometown area. If it doesn't get better --- and even if it does --- look for an amicable parting this offseason.

Is it the chef or the ingredients? We certainly haven't seen any o-line talent come through in awhile (except for Jason Peters - possibly the only "gem" we found over the last 7 years).

822912[/snapback]

True enough. Sometimes you DO get exactly what you pay for.

Good read, Tony... although after doing so, the depression that lifted slightly during the bye week is starting to sink in again... :w00t:

(Now you know why I mostly stick to previewing upcoming opponents -- I'm not sure I could handle re-watching any of the last three games. :D )

.....but at some point, don't you have to start to wonder if this Jim McNally clown is EVER going to make something good happen?.....

822908[/snapback]

At some point you have to do a quick google on somebody so that you not only sound like you know what's going on....but you actually know what is going on.

McNally joined us in 04. That is 2.5 seasons. You make it sound like we have been waiting for EVER for some success on the OL. Peters is a success. We'll see about Pennington obviously but what do people expect? He was given Williams to use at RT & a bunch of scrubs....Jennings....his best OLman & pretty darn good when healthy was injury prone(not McNally's fault). Villarial has performed well but is simply too old.

Remember.....it doesn't matter how hard you try.....you can't polish a turd.

At some point you have to do a quick google on somebody so that you not only sound like you know what's going on....but you actually know what is going on.

McNally joined us in 04.  That is 2.5 seasons.  You make it sound like we have been waiting for EVER for some success on the OL.  Peters is a success.  We'll see about Pennington obviously but what do people expect?  He was given Williams to use at RT & a bunch of scrubs....Jennings....his best OLman & pretty darn good when healthy was injury prone(not McNally's fault).  Villarial has performed well but is simply too old.

Remember.....it doesn't matter how hard you try.....you can't polish a turd.

823400[/snapback]

So.... how much longer does McNally have?

Vinklarek had 2 years before Greggggg had to let him go.

Per Glanville's oft-repeated saying, the NFL means 'Not For Long' when your unit is not getting the job done, whether it's your 'fault' or not.

Like I said, if things don't start turning around, JM might be looking for the door himself. Did the same w/ the Giants after they decimated the OL that got them to the SB in 2000. When is his contract up?

So.... how much longer does McNally have?

Vinklarek had 2 years before Greggggg had to let him go.

Per Glanville's oft-repeated saying, the NFL means 'Not For Long' when your unit is not getting the job done, whether it's your 'fault' or not.

Like I said, if things don't start turning around, JM might be looking for the door himself. Did the same w/ the Giants after they decimated the OL that got them to the SB in 2000. When is his contract up?

823416[/snapback]

I was mainly responding to the concept that he has already had ages to work his magic. I would think 4 full years would be a reasonable amount of time. As I pointed out in my previous post, he has not exactly been given much to work with until this year so......

How much of Peter's progression is due to McNally?

Good article. Drafting and free agent acquisitions have been poor overall. I don't think McNally is the problem, but maybe our talent evaluators, for the draft and free agent acquisitions, are the problem. I think Marv needs to take a hard look at this because I believe that all of TD's hires are still the ones evaluating the talent.

True enough. Sometimes you DO get exactly what you pay for.

Good read, Tony... although after doing so, the depression that lifted slightly during the bye week is starting to sink in again...  :w00t:

(Now you know why I mostly stick to previewing upcoming opponents -- I'm not sure I could handle re-watching any of the last three games. :D )

823399[/snapback]

Didn't mean to bum anyone out - just wanted to try and make some sense as to why we can't seem to claw our way back to being a good team. Other teams seem to be able to find good draft picks, make the most out of their free agents, etc. but the Bills have really done a poor job here. Talent evaluation is what killed the Bengals for so long but they finally found some talent and their playoff droubt ended. That Pats have been excellent at finding talent and that's why they've had only 1 losing season since 1995.

What a bunch of hogwash.  Whoever wrote that must be an idiot. 

Then again, he may be a wonderful fantasy football player too.

823452[/snapback]

Them's fightin' word, Rich! Next time I see you I'm gonna twist you into a pretzel! (oh wait, you're like the biggest, most intimidating person I've ever met - I'm a big guy and you make me look small - never mind...)

Didn't mean to bum anyone out - just wanted to try and make some sense as to why we can't seem to claw our way back to being a good team. Other teams seem to be able to find good draft picks, make the most out of their free agents, etc. but the Bills have really done a poor job here. Talent evaluation is what killed the Bengals for so long but they finally found some talent and their playoff droubt ended. That Pats have been excellent at finding talent and that's why they've had only 1 losing season since 1995.

823456[/snapback]

Mike Brown is what killed the Bengals for so long. Once he got out of his own way and found a staff to trust, and then let them do what they do well, things improved. Imagine that.

Them's fightin' word, Rich! Next time I see you I'm gonna twist you into a pretzel! (oh wait, you're like the biggest, most intimidating person I've ever met - I'm a big guy and you make me look small - never mind...)

823458[/snapback]

Hahaha!!!

BTW, I see it's time for Round 2 this week. See ya in the Octagon, brothurrrrrrr!

Good article.  Drafting and free agent acquisitions have been poor overall.  I don't think McNally is the problem, but maybe our talent evaluators, for the draft and free agent acquisitions, are the problem.  I think Marv needs to take a hard look at this because I believe that all of TD's hires are still the ones evaluating the talent.

823437[/snapback]

We just haven't been that aggressive in free agency.