The past 7 years.........a look back at the Bills

Good read, Tony... although after doing so, the depression that lifted slightly during the bye week is starting to sink in again...  :D

823399[/snapback]

Ha! I couldn't even bear to read the article. I read the thread title and got depressed right around the part where it mentioned the past 7 years...

I think the next 8 games is the last chance for McNally.....It will be time to move on if he does not solve the OL problems, considering that lots of the errors made

by the OL are mental (we are leading in false start penalties).

822931[/snapback]

I'm not so sure about that. Mike Williams played his best football for McNally (2nd half of 2004). You don't see former McNally players going on to have more success elsewhere than they did in Buffalo, do you? The Bucs are already displeased with big Mike Williams, Trey Teague is hurt for the Jets, and I don't think Bennie Anderson is setting the world on fire for the Dolphins. At some point, you have to start holding players responsible for their own mistakes--including mental errors.

The biggest mistake the franchise has made the past 7 years was trading for Drew Bledsoe.

823561[/snapback]

I completely 100% disagree. Bledsoe was a good move *at the time* because we just came off a year of putrid, cover-your-eyes-awful QB play and being able to get a veteran with plenty of playing experience wasn't a bad move at all. Maybe he was really just a stop-gap for a few years while a drafted QB was given time to get ready, but the move was a definite upgrade...again, at the time.

The biggest mistake the franchise made was Tom Donahoe ignoring upgrading the OL. Selecting Mike Williams also seemed like the right move, but he was a terrible bust and Donahoe (probably scarred from paying big money to get a lineman) tried to patch the line together by signing mediocre free agents and thinking a coach could make it all work.

In general..... :D

We just haven't been that aggressive in free agency.

823468[/snapback]

How aggressive does one need to be? Like it or not, this team is not the Redskins. This means we can't backload contracts and ask questions later. It means we can't drop huge upfront money every year. It means if Takeo Spikes gets brought in for big money and gets hurt, hell, it hurts! It means if Nate Clements looks more like Nathaniel Hawthorne out on the football field at a $7M clip, that it hurts! It means that if 15 guys are brought in in the first year of a GM's tenure, who are value free agents meant to fit an emerging system, that it will take time for them to build that system. It's rebuilding.

One kind of has to forget the Donahoe years at this point. The only way they factor into this year are as the impetus for rebuilding THIS year, and as providing some of the very RAW material in the players retained. You will see a bunch let go after this season, be certain of that.

Ditto.

And I'd think the feeling may be mutual. For some reason, McNally hasn't found success here in his hometown area. If it doesn't get better --- and even if it does --- look for an amicable parting this offseason.

823379[/snapback]

I would not necessarily blame McNally....you cannot make chicken salad out of chicken sh%t. He is trying to build a house out of klennex.