Let it be known

Mikie2times

LG has been a problem since Brown left, and Gandy isn't the answer. Not after his first stint at LG resulted in him moving to LT. If Peter’s progresses and you add Steinbach next to him we could have one of the most athletic LT/LG combo's in football. Our blindside pass protect would be rock solid and under contract for 4 more years. We've waited for major line upgrades since Wade Phillips. Even the most patient fans can't overlook one more off-season of signing a third tier LG, and little else. Pay the man, and show fans the Bills are willing to commit to building from the inside out.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LG has been a problem since Brown left, and Gandy isn't the answer. Not after his first stint at LG resulted in him moving to LT.  If Peter’s progresses and you add Steinbach next to him we could have one of the most athletic LT/LG combo's in football. Our blindside pass protect would be rock solid and under contract for 4 more years. We've waited for major line upgrades since Wade Phillips. Even the most patient fans can't overlook one more off-season of signing a third tier LG, and little else. Pay the man, and show fans the Bills are willing to commit to building from the inside out.

822750[/snapback]

ES has been the number one guy i have wanted in FA, would be a great addition to this team.

Pick up Steinbach

Draft Levi Brown in the first

DT in the second who can actually play the run or FA

LB or RG in the third. If RG, hopefully the hometown hero Josh Beekman.

Bills O-line: WOOF!

LT-Brown

LG- Steinbach

C-Fowler

RG-Beekman

RT-Peters

D-Line

DE-Schobel

DT-Williams

DT-Free Agent, McCargo, or Draft pick

DE-Ryan Denney, Chris Kelsay, an early 2nd day pick.

ES has been the number one guy i have wanted in FA, would be a great addition to this team.

Pick up Steinbach

Draft Levi Brown in the first

DT in the second who can actually play the run or FA

LB or RG in the third. If RG, hopefully the hometown hero Josh Beekman.

Bills O-line: WOOF!

LT-Brown

LG- Steinbach

C-Fowler

RG-Beekman

RT-Peters

D-Line

DE-Schobel

DT-Williams

DT-Free Agent, McCargo, or Draft pick

DE-Ryan Denney, Chris Kelsay, an early 2nd day pick.

822756[/snapback]

The Bills moved JP to LT for the time being. You have to think Buffalo would really like him to work out at LT. Not to mention his skill set is much more suited to LT then RT. He tends to play stiff in the run game, and gets overpowered by larger ends. On the left side his athleticism would work more to his advantage. Many teams try and build power right sides and finesse left sides. We would be in perfect position to do this with Steinbach. What makes me nervous is he's so high profile. The last time Buffalo pursued and won a high price FA was TKO and that was awhile ago. I can't even remember the last time Buffalo pursued and won a high price FA lineman.

The Bills moved JP to LT for the time being. You have to think Buffalo would really like him to work out at LT. Not to mention his skill set is much more suited to LT then RT. He tends to play stiff in the run game, and gets overpowered by larger ends. On the left side his athleticism would work more to his advantage.  Many teams try and build power right sides and finesse left sides. We would be in perfect position to do this with Steinbach. What makes me nervous is he's so high profile. The last time Buffalo pursued and won a high price FA was TKO and that was awhile ago.  I can't even remember the last time Buffalo pursued and won a high price FA lineman.

822757[/snapback]

See now here is what i was thinking when i constructed my post. Given the players that i have the Bills selecting, which seems to never be the case in real life (Donte Whitner), I don't think you would want to leave two rookie offensive linemen alone on one side of your line, thus comprising fourty percent of it. I would think you would draft a guy like Brown, bring him to Left Tackle to work next to Steinbach where you can get some actual support if needed. Then you move Peters back to the right side to work alongside Beekman who is probably going to need the help but would get more out of JP then he would out of Brown.

Just some drunken nonsense thinking for you.

I would love for the Bills to finally go after someone that will make a difference on their o-line. Money needs to be invested in the trenches on this team and not on over hyped players like McGahee and Clements who play positions that really don't matter without great lines. There are no great RBs that play behind poor o-lines (exception, barry sanders who was a freak),if you don't have a dominant o-line all aspects of your offense will struggle.

Without a good o-line you can't establish the run making you pass happy and, with a porous o-line, unable to block well enough to keep the front four out of the QBs face who consequently has to rush throws and reads which causes TOs and 3 and outs. O-lines that are solid allow teams to mix play calling to keeps d's off balance which allows most RBs to flourish, and Denver is a prime example (I think my aunt rushed for 1,000 yards a few years ago) no matter who they play at RB they rack up the yards and that's not because they have been extremely lucky with their RBs, its because they have a kick ass line blocking for them. With that being said, I don't think willis is even a top 15 back in this league only because he seems completely unable to break a big run since his first year as a starter, and to be sure the o-line must take some blame, so why invest a lot of money in a player whose position allows for maybe 7 years of productivity, when the players blocking for him can't open a hole? Build an o-line and the productivity from the RBs will come. Pretty much all I wanted to say is the O-line would be a novel investment while pouring money into an over-hyped RB would be foolish. The same goes for Clements. Even the best DBs can't stay with WRs when a QB gets 7 seconds to throw the ball, because the d-line is inept at attacking the QB (yes this goes for schoebel too, he is the biggest coverage sack player i've ever seen), so why invest in NC when the d-line would make Jesus (who hear played a decent DB in his day) look bad with their inability to rush the QB. Memo to ralph and marv: spend money on the big bangers in the trenches before you pay this organizations primadonna's. Go Bills.

I agree with you guys except for KzooMike saying Gandy didn't work out at LG so the Bears moved him to LT? That makes no sense at all. Gee, this guy isn't getting it done at G so let's move him to LT where he can really get us killed!!! :angry: Actually, I've said before, I think Gandy will do well at LG but I agree to do whatever it takes to get Steinbach in here. We could still resign Gandy if his play merits it over these next 9 games and let him fight for a job on the right side or servicable backup, hell, it's been a while since we've even had one of those! :P Who knows, Steinbach could even play LT or so I've heard so I say throw him the freakin' money and let the chips fall where they may.

Yeah, because Ralph NEVER spends on players. :angry:

My question is, can Steinbach play center? I'd pony up the cash to get him if he could play center. Otherwise that kind of coin for a LG is pretty steep.

And you don't move a guy who can't play LG to LT. The Bears did it because Gandy was their best option at LT, like he was with the Bills. His problems sticking with them were mostly because of injuries.

Well, if Buffalo signs him as a FA then he must suck? Thats the theory around here, Isn't it? NO team lets good linemen go, thats why every pick in the draft should always be linemen

And anyways, we can't overpay for him, we have to spend all our extra money to keep Nate, so he can continue to play like an average to below average CB while being payed like he's the greatest of all time

I saw what the he11, why not, sign him, if he doesn't work out, it will just give the doom and gloomers more fuel for their crusades and it may bring on more I told you so threads

Well, if Buffalo signs him as a FA then he must suck? Thats the theory around here, Isn't it?

822867[/snapback]

No. The Bills sign minimum wage linemen who suck. Guys like Steinbach won't be paid minimum wage. We should pony up and at least try to get him.

NO team lets good linemen go, thats why every pick in the draft should always be linemen

822867[/snapback]

Again, it depends on the price. The salary cap might preclude a team from re-signing a stud. Dwight Freeney is going to be a UFA for example. But when we sign guys for the vet minimum, they're probably going to suck.

Steinbach will be overpaid.

LET'S BE THE TEAM TO OVERPAY HIM.

822777[/snapback]

agreed. if you want and NEED something, you sometimes have to overpay for it. Steinbach will go where the $$$ is.

When the power is out, you might have to overpay for a generator. The power has been out on the o-line for a while now, time to pony to to get some juice.

We could see something like this...

LT Peters

LG Steinbach

C Fowler

RG Draft pick/Villarial/Reyes (He played RG for Carolina not LG)

RT Pennington (if he works out) or FA

Left side would be solid, right side would be young. If we could get an immediate starter with our 2nd round pick (like a Chris Snee was for NYG), I'd be very happy.

Steinbach has played 1 3/4 games at Center, 2 3/4 games at LT.

The 3 quarters he played as Center last season was a fill-in for 2the two B'gals centers getting injured midway through the 1st quarter. He missed no line calls and gave up no sacks.

Amazing athlete. I've mentioned before that suitors for his services may well project him at LT.

Too bad TD had to get cute in rnd 1 of the '03 draft... :angry:

Let's give Gandy the rest of the year at LG a fair shake. You can't just assume since he wasn't an All-Pro LT that he can't be any good at guard, his natural position without seeing him in action. I for one hopes both Gandy and Pennington play great the rest of the year. Then hopefully we can resign Gandy at the vet minimum and focus our draft and free agent money on DT's, DB's, and WR which is our real weakness. So far we know we can get pressure off the ends; we need a DT to stuff the run and collapse the pocket and find a resonable replacement for Nate and possibly sit McGee. A big target at WR like Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson wouldn't hurt either. Think about it: IF this O-line provides any stability and IF JP improves even more, Calvin and Evans would be a tough duo for opponents to stop; especially if you throw in Roscoe in the slot!

Why are so many here saying the left side would be so solid with Peters and Steinbach?

Yes Steinbach is good, but Peters has yet to play LT for the Bills in a full game and we already have his as a great LT. Just because he is athletic and played well on the right side, that makes him a lock at LT? Lets let this kid play LT first and show us he deserves to be part of the "Solid left side with Steinbach" Are you guys already getting the polish ready for Peters HOF ring?

Also, isn't Gandy only taking over the RG spot because Reyes is injured right now? I don't think that move is permenant, I think it was just to keep the spot warm for Tutan. Although hopefully he plays so well there that there will be a controversy over who starts there

Why are so many here saying the left side would be so solid with Peters and Steinbach?

Yes Steinbach is good, but Peters has yet to play LT for the Bills in a full game and we already have his as a great LT. Just because he is athletic and played well on the right side, that makes him a lock at LT? Lets let this kid play LT first and show us he deserves to be part of the "Solid left side with Steinbach" Are you guys already getting the polish ready for Peters HOF ring?

Also, isn't Gandy only taking over the RG spot because Reyes is injured right now? I don't think that move is permenant, I think it was just to keep the spot warm for Tutan. Although hopefully he plays so well there that there will be a controversy over who starts there

822890[/snapback]

If you sign steinbach, you can move reyes over to RG, his position with carolina.