Is Mularkey's honeymoon over?

Let's just say the new bride isn't exactly glowing after the naked bootleg call.  :lol:

58066[/snapback]

Still don't think that was such a bad call, I would have done it on 3rd down, but it wasn't a terrible call. Just think if everyone would have picked up their blocks, we'd be praising MM and that call right now.

As for the original question, you have to give MM a season at least. As I said earlier, he has a 5 year contract he's not going anywhere for awhile.

As for the original question, you have to give MM a season at least.  As I said earlier, he has a 5 year contract he's not going anywhere for awhile.

58091[/snapback]

I'm sorry, I can't control my anger that long. It's more anger at TD than MM. Someone posted yesterday that over the last 3-4 year stretch, we are even with the Bengals. It's hard to be patient with stevestojan like that.

Still don't think that was such a bad call, I would have done it on 3rd down, but it wasn't a terrible call.  Just think if everyone would have picked up their blocks, we'd be praising MM and that call right now.

As for the original question, you have to give MM a season at least.  As I said earlier, he has a 5 year contract he's not going anywhere for awhile.

58091[/snapback]

He accepted the head coaching job and is being paid we'll for it. Their is NO excuse for the drive killing penalties this team is making. He needs to stop kissing their a$$es and realize that the most important thing to coaching is winning EVEN if it makes you unpopular with players just ask Tuna, BB, and Tom Coughlin all winners

Still don't think that was such a bad call, I would have done it on 3rd down, but it wasn't a terrible call.

I was thinking the same thing (3rddown) at the time, NC. It was a gutsy call on 4thdown but Mularkey is no shrinking violet. He's also not an idiot and has a good eye for the game; I'm really curious as to how it would have shaken out had Travis gone the right way. The way the Pats were attacking the pocket, and the fact that Belichik/Crennel probably never even considered the need to defend it, it may well have worked perfectly.

Cya

Absolutely, if you mean he's taking heat from fans. I don't think that means he ought to be fired now or even at the end of the season. He made a major mistake when he pulled the famous "I know more than you" line on Jerry Sullivan in a post game press conference. That was a classic Gregg Williams approach. But I don't think it can be conclusively said that he's doing a bad job on the basis of the three losses so far. None of Buffalo's opponents so far has a sub .500 record. Obviously their last opponent is the reigning Super Bowl champion. They have done a lot of good things. They played New England very tough. In the last game of the season last year, NE completely befuddled the Bills offence, but in Sunday's game, Buffalo moved the ball well. I'm very frustrated with the penalties and dumb mistakes, but I have to concede a first time head coach needs more time to be judged on whether he can establish discipline on a team.

Some will make a comparison with Atlanta which has a new, first time head coach and is 4-0 to this point. I think Atlanta has had an easier schedule though, with two bad teams in San Francisco and Arizona, and two erratic teams in Saint Louis and Carolina. Carolina was in the Super Bowl, but they are playing .500 ball so far, the same as Saint Louis. I'm as unhappy as any Bills fan, but I never support rash actions made on the spur of the moment. Gregg Williams had three years. I think Mularkey ought to have no less than two to produce a winner.

I was thinking the same thing (3rddown) at the time, NC. It was a gutsy call on 4thdown but Mularkey is no shrinking violet. He's also not an idiot and has a good eye for the game; I'm really curious as to how it would have shaken out had Travis gone the right way. The way the Pats were attacking the pocket, and the fact that Belichik/Crennel probably never even considered the need to defend it, it may well have worked perfectly.

Cya

58448[/snapback]

That WAS the beauty of it. Who would have ever expected it? Unfortunately, because it was blown up for reasons completely unrelated to the call itself, it is deemed stupid by the media and ignorant fans.

One of these days, this team is going to stop blowing assignments on these plays, and they are going to be shown to be good calls by a very saavy coach.

In terms of the gameplan, I think Mularkey and his staff are doing just fine. The plays this season that have failed miserably did so because (as others here have already mentioned) the players are making their own boneheaded mistakes.

And I don't think Mularkey should be blamed either for the lack of discipline on this team. This same lack of discipline existed during GW's regime with most of the same core "veteran" players.

If the Bills don't show dramatic improvement in the next couple months, I will still be reluctant to place the blame on MM and Co. and all too eager to direct it towards TD, the man who assembled this cast of inherent choke artists.

But to answer BNIH's original question, yes I think the honeymoon is over - fair or unfair - because our impatient Buffalo media and impatient fan base (and rightfully so, I might add, after 4 and going on 5 straight seasons of no playoffs - a true mark of futility in this salary cap era) never really allowed him one in the first place.

Absolutely, if you mean he's taking heat from fans.  I don't think that means he ought to be fired now or even at the end of the season.  He made a major mistake when he pulled the famous "I know more than you" line on Jerry Sullivan in a post game press conference.  That was a classic Gregg Williams approach.  But I don't think it can be conclusively said that he's doing a bad job on the basis of the three losses so far.  None of Buffalo's opponents so far has a sub .500 record.  Obviously their last opponent is the reigning Super Bowl champion.  They have done a lot of good things.  They played New England very tough. In the last game of the season last year, NE completely befuddled the Bills offence, but in Sunday's game, Buffalo moved the ball well.  I'm very frustrated with the penalties and dumb mistakes, but I have to concede a first time head coach needs more time to be judged on whether he can establish discipline on a team.

Some will make a comparison with Atlanta which has a new, first time head coach and is 4-0 to this point.  I think Atlanta has had an easier schedule though, with two bad teams in San Francisco and Arizona, and two erratic teams in Saint Louis and Carolina.  Carolina was in the Super Bowl, but they are playing .500 ball so far, the same as Saint Louis.  I'm as unhappy as any Bills fan, but I never support rash actions made on the spur of the moment.  Gregg Williams had three years.  I think Mularkey ought to have no less than two to produce a winner.

58542[/snapback]

MM will be fine as a HC.

Unfortunately, the fallacy has been believing that a 1st year coach will be immediately successful.

The Bills talent, starting at QB, is not good enough to overcome mistakes made while learning on the job.

Has he shown anything at all in 3 games? NOPE. ZILCH.

58601[/snapback]

Have you checked special teams stats? The Bills are at or near the top of the league in several categories. The Bills has moved the ball reasonably well in all their preseason games, and particularly against defensive genious, Bill Belichick.

Comparing the offence when Kevin Gilbride came to the Bills and in the first three games this year: The Bills started out like a house afire under Gilbride, only to turn sour for about a year and a half. I think what happened is that Gilbride used a system that was unfamiliar to most of the NFL. Novelty or unfamiliarity often breeds some initial success because defensive coordinators need time to make adjustments. Once they adjusted, Gilbride was dead in the water. Mularkey and Clements aren't doing anything that defensive coordinators havent seen before, though I understand some of the Pittsburgh stuff they imported is not done widely around the league. That means they don't get the benefit of a novelty effect. There is more of a dependence on execution. Buffalo suffered from being a little too vanilla, I think, in the Jacksonville game, but the coaching staff is trying to be cautious in developing the new offence, and there are clearly some execution problems.

From all indications the training camp was well run and more intensive than the ones Gregg Williams ran. So why there have been problems with execution and discipline so far is anyone's guess. Seeing that there are serious execution and discipline problems, dealing with the problem is squarely in Mularkey's lap. He has intimated that further problems could result in lineup changes. It will be interesting to see if London Fletcher gets benched for his next personal foul, and if that sends a message that gets heard. I think it is rediculous to suggest Mularkey should be dumped at this juncture though.

I'm really curious as to how it would have shaken out had Travis gone the right way.

58448[/snapback]

We'll never know, will we?

Guys, I am obviously NOT saying fire the guy - my point is that MM walked into a horrible environment (the Buffalo fishbowl + unrealistically high expectations + an ingrained culture of losing) and he hasn't produced yet in the ultimate stat category - wins & losses.

I think MM will be OK a few years from now, but does that mean we will be ugly for the next few years? We will then officially be the Bengals of the 2000's - we are already there now.