The Price of Happiness

inkman

My wife is contemplating leaving her current place of employment, which she loathes, to return to her former job. The only problem with this is that it's a 20% paycut. In my eyes, her happiness is worth way more than any money we would sacrifice. I think we can make the finances work. Anybody ever do anything like this?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife is contemplating leaving her current place of employment, which she loathes, to return to her former job.  The only problem with this is that it's a 20% paycut.  In my eyes, her happiness is worth way more than any money we would sacrifice.  I think we can make the finances work.  Anybody ever do anything like this?

786228[/snapback]

I would work in a miserable sweatshop for more money. It's my one insecurity, and one fear.

That said, more power to the both of you for being able to make it work.

My wife is contemplating leaving her current place of employment, which she loathes, to return to her former job.  The only problem with this is that it's a 20% paycut.  In my eyes, her happiness is worth way more than any money we would sacrifice.  I think we can make the finances work.  Anybody ever do anything like this?

786228[/snapback]

Yes, I took a major paycut to leave my previous "life" because I hated it so much. But I never wanted to go back so I made my new "life" work and this year I have already doubled my income from last year. It took me five years of hard work, but hard work and persistence usually pay off. Give my best to your wife with her future.

BTW, my price for happiness is $3,453,983.39.

Edited by Chef Jim

786228[/snapback]

I just did this kinda just this summer. Long story short, went form selling "enterprise accounts" (over 2000 employees) to selling major accounts(300-2000 employees. This is generally considered a steo back in the the world of selling business applications. But I had been selling into enterprise accounts for the past eight years, and was sick of the 18 month sales cycles, endless political games witin accounts, processes that were wired for another vendor etc.

Took a hard look at where I was most happy, and it was in the major account space. Been selling into it for three months now, and will be # 1 guy in the nation(out of 22) for September. Really think a big part of that is I am generally happy and excited to work every day!!!!!!

So i say go for it

It took me five years of hard work, but hard work and persistence usually pay off.  Give my best to your wife with her future.

786243[/snapback]

I will and she'll get back to where she was in no time. She good at her job and is a valuable asset wherever she has been.

I am considering a significant down-grade in responsibility at work, dropping two levels from a VP to a manager position. The pay cut will likely be 25-45%, but I hope the change (including relocation from DC to the midwest) will be worth it and will let me spend more time with my wife and young daughter (10 weeks old) not thinking about work.

786243[/snapback]

Okay, I'll ask. Where did this figure come from? Random? Savings needed for retirement?

I am considering a significant down-grade in responsibility at work, dropping two levels from a VP to a manager position.  The pay cut will likely be 25-45%, but I hope the change (including relocation from DC to the midwest) will be worth it and will let me spend more time with my wife and young daughter (10 weeks old) not thinking about work.

786271[/snapback]

I did that too, about 6 years ago, no more traveling all over the country. I have weekends, and every evening with my wife and two daughters, ages 4 and 3. No regrets.

Living my job 7 days a week for 25 years was killing me. I'm much happier now.

Good luck to you and your family. :D

My wife is contemplating leaving her current place of employment, which she loathes, to return to her former job. The only problem with this is that it's a 20% paycut. In my eyes, her happiness is worth way more than any money we would sacrifice. I think we can make the finances work. Anybody ever do anything like this?

My wife did the same thing. Left her job prosecuting child abuse for NYC for a small, private law firm. Law firm paid more cash. She hated it. Wanted to go back to ACS.

I actually handle the $$$ in the house. It was a little tight, but we figured we could make it work. I asked my company for a little more $$ and it worked out. She went back to ACS and was happy.

Life is too short not to be happy.

I probably don't have enough information on your situation to give any worthwhile advice.  However, I do know one universal truth: 

If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Good luck.

786305[/snapback]

Ya got that right brother, but my wife is much happier now that im not bitchin bout my job everyday!!!!!

I did that too, about 6 years ago, no more traveling all over the country.  I have weekends, and every evening with my wife and  two daughters, ages 4 and 3. No regrets.

Living my job 7 days a week for 25 years was killing me. I'm much happier now.

Good luck to you and your family. :P

786281[/snapback]

Did ya PO the Chinese? :D

Edit - Posters slay innocent animals but If I say boo or show a chink in my personality that wonders about a billion-strong enemy?

Death for me...!!!!

:)

Edited by stuckincincy