The Price of Happiness

inkman

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how people think making money and loving your job are mutually exclusive. There are careers out there that you can love that will also pay you lots of money. You can have both. Think football players. The key is to find something you love to do that pays you good money. It can be done I did it.

Gregg Easterbrook, ESPN.com's Tuesday Morning Quarterback, wrote a book on this called "The Progress Paradox". Here's an excerpt from today's column.

Google CEO Has Good Taste in Literature: "The Progress Paradox" first argues that nearly every aspects of Western life is improving, then speculates about why "life gets better but people feel worse." A recent study by researchers including Daniel Kahneman, a Nobel Prize winner, and Alan Kruger, one of the leading names in behavior economics, adds new detail on that question. The study found that the well-off are no happier than others; that as income rises, so does tension and anger; that "people exaggerate the contribution of income to happiness."

Kahneman, Krueger and their collaborators also offer a vital insight -- that happiness comes from choosing time over money, but most Americans choose money over time. "Leisure is better for happiness than increased income," they argue, supposing that time spent in travel, having new experiences, relaxing, hiking, reading, or simply looking up at the stars is more important to our sense of well-being than a new car or impressive house. Unless you are in a bad financial situation, Kahneman and Krueger recommend you spend less time working, accept somewhat lower income, and use your freed hours to experience life. Barbara Bush memorably said that no one on his or her deathbed has ever regretted not staying later at the office, while many regret failing to spend more time with family and friends.

I'll add another suggestion on why time is more important to happiness than money: Because time is far more precious. Money that has been used up can be replaced; you can always get at least some additional money, and in principle can get huge amounts of additional money. Your time on Earth, on the other hand, is limited and irreplaceable. You might add somewhat to your time on Earth by taking care of your health -- and that's an excellent idea, but there are no guarantees you won't be hit by a bus anyway. We all must surrender some of our time for work to acquire income. But those who obsessively chase maximum material possessions give up something precious and fleeting, namely time, in order to acquire something that cannot make them happy, namely money.

Gregg Easterbrook, ESPN.com's Tuesday Morning Quarterback, wrote a book on this called "The Progress Paradox".  Here's an excerpt from today's column.

787329[/snapback]

I suggest that everyone read a book on "time management".

One of the books that I recommend is "Wooden on Leadership" by John Wooden

You will find a lot more free time in your day if you can manage your time more efficiently.

Way too much whining in this world. It's called 'work' for a reason. Do some people absolutely "love" what they do? Sure, but not many. I can't think of any careers I would love more than sitting on a beach with a beer, playing golf or hiking up a mountain on a beautiful fall day like today.

People think changing jobs or careers is going to make them happier. Usually they find out it's the same crap in a different place. The best way to be 'happy' at work is to either be in business for yourself, or to build a career to a level where you are challenged and can have some direct impact on the way things are done in your environment. Taking some boring job because it has less hours or less responsibility will pretty much guarantee that you are going to be miserable everyday between 9-5.

I can't think of any careers I would love more than sitting on a beach with a beer, playing golf or hiking up a mountain on a beautiful fall day like today.

Beach bartender, golf pro, forest guide....sound like a lot of fun. Problem is, they don't make any $$$ (with the exception of touring golf pros, different story there). I'm not real sure why it is, but the jobs that sound like they would be the most enjoyable (and I stress sound like because I'm not doing them), pay the least.

I will give you that it does exist, its just not very easy to find.  Its even more difficult to find in expensive areas of the country (NYC, SF etc.).

787413[/snapback]

Sure it's tough to find, that's why most will never find it. But I do disagree, I think it's easier to find in the expensive areas. Try to find a high paying job in Batavia NY.

Way too much whining in this world.  It's called 'work' for a reason.  Do some people absolutely "love" what they do?  Sure, but not many. 

787392[/snapback]

I know this may not be a direct respone to my original post but i'll treat it as such. I felt the same way initially. I'm 34 and have had every miserable job you can think of. Crappy ass retail sales, fast food scrub, picking rocks out of dirt in 95 degree heat, knee deep in tomato juice in 120 degree heat taking orders from someone who doesn't speak English and didn't get past 4th grade, washing dishes, getting up at 3am, going to work at 10 pm, you name it, I did it and I did it at every possible time of the freaking day.

So when my wife, all of 26 years old, would initially come home and complain about how her little office job wasn't all that kosher, it really fell on deaf ears. But the more I listened, the more I hated the people the she works with and I finally sided with her. Mental anguish can be more punishing than physical wear and I can testify to that personally.

She would be leaving an uncomfortable situation and returning to a progressive thinking company that really fit her skill set and her way of thinking. She is still waiting for her former HR director to confim that a position is there for her, and upon that I will drive to her work and tell off the old bag myself.

I know this may not be a direct respone to my original post but i'll treat it as such.  I felt the same way initially.  I'm 34 and have had every miserable job you can think of.  Crappy ass retail sales, fast food scrub, picking rocks out of dirt in 95 degree heat, knee deep in tomato juice in 120 degree heat taking orders from someone who doesn't speak English and didn't get past 4th grade, washing dishes, getting up at 3am, going to work at 10 pm, you name it, I did it and I did it at every possible time of the freaking day. 

So when my wife, all of 26 years old, would initially come home and complain about how her little office job wasn't all that kosher, it really fell on deaf ears.  But the more I listened, the more I hated the people the she works with and I finally sided with her.  Mental anguish can be more punishing than physical wear and I can testify to that personally. 

She would be leaving an uncomfortable situation and returning to a progressive thinking company that really fit her skill set and her way of thinking.  She is still waiting for her former HR director to confim that a position is there for her, and upon that I will drive to her work and tell off the old bag myself.

787555[/snapback]

so are you the head dish washer now ??

so are you the head dish washer now ??

787579[/snapback]

He's 34, he's at least up to the fryer. That's when the big bucks roll in. :P

Ink - sounds like you're making the right decision as far as I can tell. I think the spirit of "some things are more important than money" is not lost on you.

Good luck. I hope everything works out for you.

You know I am a talent coordinator for Playboy. Too be honest with you while the pay is great, the conditions and benefits are great, the people I work with are shall I say spunky, there just something , oh I don't know. No it's pretty much a perfect job.

You know I am a talent coordinator for Playboy.  Too be honest with you while the pay is great, the conditions and benefits are great, the people I work with are shall I say spunky, there just something , oh I don't know.  No it's pretty much a perfect job.

787599[/snapback]

Having you as a talent coordinator for Playboy is like having crayonz be a liason for MENSA.

Hmmm, you and crayonz in the same sentence... :P

I know this may not be a direct respone to my original post but i'll treat it as such.  I felt the same way initially.  I'm 34 and have had every miserable job you can think of.  Crappy ass retail sales, fast food scrub, picking rocks out of dirt in 95 degree heat, knee deep in tomato juice in 120 degree heat taking orders from someone who doesn't speak English and didn't get past 4th grade, washing dishes, getting up at 3am, going to work at 10 pm, you name it, I did it and I did it at every possible time of the freaking day. 

So when my wife, all of 26 years old, would initially come home and complain about how her little office job wasn't all that kosher, it really fell on deaf ears.  But the more I listened, the more I hated the people the she works with and I finally sided with her.  Mental anguish can be more punishing than physical wear and I can testify to that personally. 

She would be leaving an uncomfortable situation and returning to a progressive thinking company that really fit her skill set and her way of thinking.  She is still waiting for her former HR director to confim that a position is there for her, and upon that I will drive to her work and tell off the old bag myself.

787555[/snapback]

Not meant as a direct retort to you at all inkman.

I just think people don't always have realistic expectations. There is always going to be someone at work that you don't like or who is annoying to be around or who is an idiot that doesn't pull their weight. That's life....you gotta roll with the punches. That's not to say people should get out of a bad situation or look for a better environment, but I've seen countless people complain about work when the problem is mostly their own attitude.

Not meant as a direct retort to you at all inkman.

I just think people don't always have realistic expectations.  There is always going to be someone at work that you don't like or who is annoying to be around or who is an idiot that doesn't pull their weight.  That's life....you gotta roll with the punches.  That's not to say people should get out of a bad situation or look for a better environment, but I've seen countless people complain about work when the problem is mostly their own attitude.

787613[/snapback]

You mean like graduating from College and expecting to move into that corner office on the 45th floor as a VP?

I hear Geico gives awesome promotions, two a year sometimes, wicked cool. :P