Marv Levy,Donahoe, Modrak, etc.

Where to start?

Yesterday while listening to the radio, a caller mentioned what a great rookie class we had and praised Marv for the great job with the selections.

The talk show host quickly mentioned that the praise should be going to Modrak as we don't know what Marv did.

I'm as happy as the next guy to give Modrak some credit...but I feel that Marv assimilated the information he received from the scouts and Modrak much differently than Donahoe did and that led us to drafting better.

I feel Marv deserves credit for keeping many of Donahoe's picks on the roster that he felt could still help this team and not feeling the need to purge everyone because they were not his picks. Would Donahoe have done the same? I strongly doubt it.

Gone is the arrogance and snake oil salesman moves of Donahoe. A soon to be forgotten era in the Bills history.

Finally, (thanks to Levy) the Bills are building on rock rather than sand.

It's going to be so much fun in the coming years to watch these young players develop, to have Levy and his staff add more players, to have Jauron and his staff coach them up!!! Donahoes' teams were hard to root for....Levy has returned this team to the fans of the Buffalo Bills!! Bring on the Jets!!

Thanks Marv....

Where to start?

Yestersday while listening to the radio, a caller mentioned what a great rookie class we had and praised Marv for the great job with the selections.

The talk show host quickly mentioned that the praise should be going to Modrak as we don't know what Marv did.

I'm as happy as the next guy to give Modrak some credit...but I feel that Marv assimilated the information he received from the scouts and Modrak much differently than Donahoe did and that led us to drafting better.

I feel Marv deserves credit for keeping many of Donahoe's picks on the roster that he felt could still help this team and not feeling the need to purge everyone because they were not his picks. Would Donahoe have done the same? I stroingly doubt it.

Gone is the arrogance and snake oil salesman moves of Donahoe. A soon to be forgotten era in the Bills history.

It's going to be so much fun in the coming years to watch these young players develop, to have Levy and his staff add more players, to have Jauron and his staff coach them up!!! Donahoes' teams were hard to root for....Levy has returned this team to the fans of the Buffalo Bills!! Bring on the Jets!!

Thanks Marv....

777892[/snapback]

IIRC, after three years of TD, the only player on the roster that didn't have TD's fingerprints on him was EM. Glad to see that Marv doesn't have that need for 100% of the credit, as if that matters, and no hesitation to drop Name Players whose skill set just doesn't fit what we're doing.

With the emphasis on the run yesterday, I can see we're back to Buffalo Bills football.

Bring on the Jets, and bring on the throwback jerseys!

777892[/snapback]

Marv = coach

TD = draftnick

Where to start?

Yestersday while listening to the radio, a caller mentioned what a great rookie class we had and praised Marv for the great job with the selections.

I feel Marv deserves credit for keeping many of Donahoe's picks on the roster that he felt could still help this team and not feeling the need to purge everyone because they were not his picks. Would Donahoe have done the same? I stroingly doubt it.

Thanks Marv....

777892[/snapback]

I don't credit Marv with scouting, not the draft or free agency. To think he could come in at his age, after being out for this long, in a role he's never had, and be responsible for scouting...................

It's a stretch.

Lot's of credit should go to the talent evaluators.

The biggest thing I credit Marv for is his humbleness and philosophies. He might not have found the Daunte Whitners of the world, but his views on character is what led our scouts to these type of players. His willingness to humble himself to our scouts, and others allowed us to pull the trigger on these recommendations. TD would rather make a decision and be wrong, then allow somebody else to make the decision for him. We were going to live and die with every call TD made. Marv is willing to look at his scouts, and the time they spend, and say you might just be more knowledgeable then me in this area. It may be unorthodox to have this many on the food chain, but who's to say it's not the best structure? It takes a rare breed to be the Don of all this, but that's exactly what Marv is.

Where to start?

Thanks Marv....

777892[/snapback]

Hey, great post.

I really do think that you hit on something. Modrak does deserve a lot of credit as he provides the information on the players in the draft. Modrak and his team provide the core data that is used to evaluate the players and positions. What it looks like is that in this draft the data was used better than in the past.

I think that Marv deserves credit for how that information is assembled and shared with the staff. He then pulls out even more important information on the players by having the coaches involved. To my knowledge, TD's autocratic style did not use this process.

Marv does not manage, he leads.

Theory:

Modrak and Donahoe have been buddies all their lives. Modrak still calls up TD a few times a week to pick his brain on personell issues. He then incorporates these opinions and info into his work in the Bills front office. Therefore TD is still running the Bills! 0:)

Where to start?

Yesterday while listening to the radio, a caller mentioned what a great rookie class we had and praised Marv for the great job with the selections.

I feel Marv deserves credit for keeping many of Donahoe's picks on the roster that he felt could still help this team and not feeling the need to purge everyone because they were not his picks. Would Donahoe have done the same? I strongly doubt it.

Thanks Marv....

777892[/snapback]

OK, let me get this straight. When Lindell, Denney, JP, Evans, Kelsay, TKO, Clements, McGee, McGahee and Reed play well, MARV deserves the credit? Nice revisionist history.

OK, let me get this straight.  When Lindell, Denney, JP, Evans, Kelsay, TKO, Clements, McGee, McGahee and Reed play well, MARV deserves the credit?  Nice revisionist history.

778112[/snapback]

Well, TD did bring in some good players. He also made some very bad personnel moves.

But is there any reason to believe that Meathead or whatever former coordinator with no head coaching experience that TD would bring in to replace him would be able to get more out of the players than Jauron is getting? Marv does deserve credit for hiring an experienced coach. TD never did that, ever. Heck, IIRC even Cowher had no head coaching experience prior to getting the Steelers job.

OK, let me get this straight.  When Lindell, Denney, JP, Evans, Kelsay, TKO, Clements, McGee, McGahee and Reed play well, MARV deserves the credit?  Nice revisionist history.

TD certainly deserves some credit for drafting them, yes. But Denney, Clements, and Reed were at least questionable free agents this offseason, and Marv made the call to keep them - over the objections of many fans (or to trade Nate). Lindell was a clear win for TD, as were TKO and McGee, and Willis. But Marv didn't draft someone to take over for JP (Cutler, Leinart), trusted Lee Evans to step up (still, perhaps, a questionable move), etc. There are only a handful of players that were such TD no-brainers as to not require the skilled judgement of the new GM. He made the calls.

TD certainly deserves some credit for drafting them, yes.  But Denney, Clements, and Reed were at least questionable free agents this offseason, and Marv made the call to keep them - over the objections of many fans (or to trade Nate).  Lindell was a clear win for TD, as were TKO and McGee, and Willis.  But Marv didn't draft someone to take over for JP (Cutler, Leinart), trusted Lee Evans to step up (still, perhaps, a questionable move), etc.  There are only a handful of players that were such TD no-brainers as to not require the skilled judgement of the new GM.  He made the calls.

778151[/snapback]

I wouldn't be so quick to credit TD for Willis, either.

He spent a first round pick on him, and Willis certainly hasn't exceeeded that value. He's doing about what he should do for where he was selected.

No praise for Donohoe is needed when it comes to Willis, or Denney or Reed or even McGee for that matter. McGee has certainly exceeded value, but when you factor in all of Donohoe's other draft choices past round three, I chalk it up to the BHFFSS theory. (Blind Hog Finally Found Some Slop)

Where to start?

Thanks Marv....

777892[/snapback]

Let's let a little time pass...the Bills did actuall release a number of TD's choices. I think the biggest difference in the two regimes, thus far, in terms of what we are seeing on the field, is that the new regime is letting their young guys play, wheras TD was content to draft them, and then sign a free agent to start in place of him...call it rebuilding, or not, but that is what the Bills are doing now...during TD's time, that was a dirty word...

Hey, great post. 

To my knowledge, TD's autocratic style did not use this process. 

778041[/snapback]

TD took a lot of input from his scouts (including Modrak), but was not adverse to chucking all of their info on draft day, because he thought he knew better....maybe he did, maybe he didn't...we shall see...

TD took a lot of input from his scouts (including Modrak), but was not adverse to chucking all of their info on draft day, because he thought he knew better....maybe he did, maybe he didn't...we shall see...

778522[/snapback]

You might want to check the Bills record for five years under Donahoe..

HIS METHODS DID NOT WORK!!!

I wouldn't be so quick to credit TD for Willis, either.

He spent a first round pick on him,

778311[/snapback]

No, he spent ATLANTA'S first round pick on him....pure genius.