What happened to cap money?

oregonbbfan

Aren't we about $8 million under the cap? Does that money just not get used? Are they saving it to sign someone after an injury? Or are they going to use it to do a long term contract on Nate? Or does it go back into Ralph's pockets.

With our needed depth and run defense needs we could have $8 mil. Did we do all we could in Free Agency? Your thoughts.

Aren't we about $8 million under the cap? Does that money just not get used? Are they saving it to sign someone after an injury? Or are they going to use it to do a long term contract on Nate?  Or does it go back into Ralph's pockets.

With our needed depth and run defense needs we could have $8 mil. Did we do all we could in Free Agency? Your thoughts.

774171[/snapback]

In one sense, yes, it means Ralph is getting richer, because TV and other money is at whatever level it is, and the cap is calculated as a percentage of those dollars... But that is not to say that there is $8 million sitting in a vault somewhere labeled "Bills cap money" gathering dust. Since the cap is based on averages over the length of contracts, it takes more than just citing the cap number to say how much money Ralph is paying out to players this year.

I will stop there, lest I confuse anyone (or myself) further...

Aren't we about $8 million under the cap? Does that money just not get used? Are they saving it to sign someone after an injury? Or are they going to use it to do a long term contract on Nate?  Or does it go back into Ralph's pockets.

774171[/snapback]

Any money used this year would cut into next year's free agency spending. While the cap increases.....so do salaries!!! Why spend money now for someone that probably won't make an impact and have to still pay later for that cap space.

Any money used this year would cut into next year's free agency spending.  While the cap increases.....so do salaries!!!    Why spend money now for someone that probably won't make an impact and have to still pay later for that cap space.

774184[/snapback]

You have to believe that if there is a player out there doing nothing that can help the team, the Bills would pursue the player.

What this indicates to me is that the Buffalo Bills WILL be loaded for free agency next year. I'm sure John Guy. who evaluates the Pro talent league-wide has a list of potential target players that the Bills are earmarking for March. The situation might be like Minnesota, where they had multiple 10's of millions. They, by the way, landed Steve Hutchinson, so maybe that's the battle plan!! If we can sign someone comparible to a Hutchinson, then isn't it worth the wait.... after all, this is a rebuilding year by their own admission.

Any money used this year would cut into next year's free agency spending.  While the cap increases.....so do salaries!!!    Why spend money now for someone that probably won't make an impact and have to still pay later for that cap space.

774184[/snapback]

why cant we..

"nate we'll pay you 14 million this year, and then 4 million for the three years. deal?"

I kinda agree about saving the bucks for next year but Minny may be a poor example. One owner (previous ) almost never spent to cap limit and the new owner has put his checkbook where his mouth is. Little if any of the money came from saved up previous years.

I know we'll hit free agency big next year but could we have added one or two more this year. Do what you can to get W's this year so it is easier to sell the team to free agents next year. Hope Marv's plan comes to fruition before we are looking for another owner.

Since the cap is based on averages over the length of contracts, it takes more than just citing the cap number to say how much money Ralph is paying out to players this year.

774183[/snapback]

The cap isnt based on average contract value. The cap is base salary + signing bonus amortization. Almost every players cpa # goes up every season.

If they become so inclined, they could put up an offer for Steinback next year. He has the strength, speed, and quickness to play LT. Filled in for an injured Levi Jones late last year. He previously did that in spot duty, too. He played center in one game earlier last year after the starting center and his back-up left in the 1st quarter. Never played center at any level, but no sacks, no missed snaps. He is notable for his downfield play.

I think the b'gals are resigned to his departure - #2 pick Andrew Whitworth LSU was worked at LG and LT most of the preseason.

There has to be a word of caution, though. Steinback plays with a bunch of other decent OL's.

I believe any extensions done before November 15 (? going on memory here) can count on this year's cap for the signing bonus, etc. They may or may not want to negotiate with anyone in mid-season and there may or may not be any player they want to even do this with. I'd sure love to see London stay another year or two. He certainly has the fire.

The cap isnt based on average contract value. The cap is base salary + signing bonus amortization. Almost every players cpa # goes up every season.

774265[/snapback]

I stand corrected. I was thinking of how the cap averaged signing bonuses, but the actual amounts of bonuses out of Ralph's pocket varies.... Or something like that.

They should be trying to extend Fletcher as well. For the poster who every once in a while claims he is the weak link, you need to pull your head out of your ass. I want Nate signed too, mostly for the fact that I won't have to worry about us targeting a f****n CB in the first f****n round. Sorry, I've had a bad day.

All unused cap money across the League gets donated to charity.

Yeah, that's right. After the big end-of-year all-you-can-eat Pizza and Beer party, they take what money is left over and donate it to the League's favorite charity: The School of Advanced Play Calling for Refs Assigned to NewenGland Games