Ellison, Merz, Pennington, Butler: Depth

vs. 2005:

Parrish: Backup

Everett: Backup

Preston: Backup

King: Cut

Gates: Cut

Geisinger: Cut

You can say that Parrish, Everett, and Preston are pushing for starts, considering Parrish if the 3rd WR would be a starting player of sorts, and Everett is the 2nd TE in 2 TE sets.

You can say that Parrish, Everett, and Preston are pushing for starts, considering Parrish if the 3rd WR would be a starting player of sorts, and Everett is the 2nd TE in 2 TE sets.

762350[/snapback]

You could also say Losman was 2005 draft. Starting. I am also shocked that a team kept its own draft picks over another staff. Next thing you know there will be gambling in Casablanca.

And if you wanted to fairly compare these drafts, you'd have to do so after the same amount of time, such as looking at the 2005 draft now, and comparing those players' status to those of the 2006 draft at the start of next year. That way, you're looking a both drafts after the same amount of time.

In other words, let me know the status of each player in the 06 draft class at the start of next season.

Can we concentrate on the season and forget about the drafts. Who cares if a 7th round pick is a pro bowler and a 1st round pick is a bust. As long as the team has players who win, who cares???? Who was the Pats 1st round draft pick the year that Brady was drafted (as a 6th round pick)? Who cares, if you have good players who cares when they were drafted.

Richard Seymour, a big chunk of 1st round gold. You need to get players in a combination of ways, but the draft is a significant part of it.

762376[/snapback]

The draft is where you should go after small wideouts, injured RBs, and a plethora of defensive backs. THAT is how winning teams are built.

I love the fact that Williams is starting over Anderson (who's showed nothing). The problem for me is that McCargo was brought in with a 1st rd. pick and should be in a better position to win the job. What gives with McCargo -- is he not motivated or just not good enough???

I love the fact that Williams is starting over Anderson (who's showed nothing). The problem for me is that McCargo was brought in with a 1st rd. pick and should be in a better position to win the job. What gives with McCargo -- is he not motivated or just not good enough???

762451[/snapback]

Hes your basic rookie, you cant really tell if he will be good right off the bat, Williams seems to be one of those freaks that just play well out of the gates, doesnt really matter where in the draft you pick em as long as they end up on your roster

762451[/snapback]

I do not really care how the individual rookies do if the team got the value it wanted. The Bills needs a starting DT immediately from this draft and it looks like they got one and a DT back-up so far.

It really in an inside baseball questron and an issue for fantasy league folks that the Bills got these two posiitions filled in the reverse order that Mel Kiper and friends thought it should happen,

Even if you are ysing this as a gauge of how wekk Marv and the player assessment staff did their job, they blew it trading up to get McCargo (so far as this assessment really needs to wait a couple of years before it is legit) but they scired bugtume so far in getting an immediate starter at DT on the second day oof the draft.

Starting vs. being a reserve D-Lineman will not be that much of a difference in Jauron/Fewell's scheme. Jauron talks about rotating linemen in and out because he wants linemen to be able to go 100% on every down. Jauron appears to be a straight talker. However, we've heard this before so the jury might still be out..."stay tuned".

So, for 2006:

Whitner: Starting

McCargo: Half-time

Youboty: Incomplete

Simpson: Pushing for starts

Williams; Starting

Ellison, Merz, Pennington, Butler: Depth

vs. 2005:

Parrish: Backup

Everett: Backup

Preston: Backup

King: Cut

Gates: Cut

Geisinger: Cut

762346[/snapback]

Yeah that is sooo great!! We are starting a bunch of rookies.. Teams that start more rookies win Superbowls... Oh.. wait..

762451[/snapback]

Williams and McCargo don't play the same position. One is a one-technique DT and the other is a three-thechnique DT.

There was no way McCargo was going to take over the starting job from Tripplett. Who knows if McCargo (or Williams for that matter) will end up panning out but thinking he's not motivated or not good enough before a single game is played simply because he couldn't beat out the Bills premiere FA acquisition is silly.

This is all a moot point anyway as Tripplett, McCargo, Anderson and Williams will all see lots of playing time as the Bills are going to rotate their DTs constantly.

It seems to me they are building the D first. Hey, it worked for Jauron once in Chicago. They rebuilt the backfield/ stocked it for the future. Do we think all the backfield drafting was to prepare for letting Nate Clements go next year?

Williams and McCargo don't play the same position.  One is a one-technique DT and the other is a three-thechnique DT. 

There was no way McCargo was going to take over the starting job from Tripplett.  Who knows if McCargo (or Williams for that matter) will end up panning out but thinking he's not motivated or not good enough before a single game is played simply because he couldn't beat out the Bills premiere FA acquisition is silly.

This is all a moot point anyway as Tripplett, McCargo, Anderson and Williams will all see lots of playing time as the Bills are going to rotate their DTs constantly.

762718[/snapback]

I don't mean to sound like a smart ass, but Williams and McCargo are interchangeable-- for that matter so is Tripplett and Anderson. Here is a quote from Marv when Tripplett was signed, "General manager Marv Levy said Tripplett will serve the role as a penetrating tackle, adding that the team will look for a bulkier player to play alongside him."

Kyle Williams: 6-1 295

Larry Tripplett: 6-2 295

John McCargo: 6-2 295

Tim Anderson: 6-3 304

They are all smaller, penetrating d-tackles despite the whole notion of one-gap vs. two or three-gap techniques. I believe the Bills got a good player in Kyle Williams and while I'm holding out hope for McCargo -- I don't think he has showed the same intensity as Williams despite being a first round draft pick. If he had -- I believe he would be in the starting rotation next to Tripplett.