NFL "Official" Rule Book

Ima90sJezus

I'm looking for the Official NFL Rule Book online and not the goofy Rules 101 that they have listed.

I am trying to settle an argument with a co-worker about QB Substitutions.

The debate is if your Starting QB goes down during the game - can you just go ahead and send in the 3rd stringer? Or do you have to work your way thru the 2nd Stringer?

Even though I would trust some of the knowledge here, I doubt that the co-woprker would, hence the rule book is needed.

TIA

I don't think you can.

The NFL publishes it in book form. It presumably is copyrighted material & of course why would the NFL want to share for free what they can get $ for.

One thing unfortunate is that by the time the book gets published, it's like 2 yrs out of date.

I had an older copy but my dog ate it (seriously).

This was written by Jerry Markbreit (former NFL ref extraordinaire) in 2004. I don't know if it still applies, but I'm pretty sure it does.

Each team is allowed to dress 45 players for each game, plus, a 46th man, providing he is designated as the third quarterback only. If this third quarterback enters the game during the first, second or third quarter, the first and second string quarterbacks are not allowed to return for the rest of the game. If the third quarterback enters during the fourth quarter, the other two quarterbacks may return to the game. This is a special rule that was put in about 10 years ago, and gives each team an insurance policy for quarterback injury.

This was from this source.

There was also this snippet from a TMQ article written late last year (November 2005):

Then there's the strangest category, third quarterback. NFL teams can dress a third quarterback -- but the player so designated may enter the game only if the first two quarterbacks depart and do not return. There is no comparable rule in college or high-school football, where substitution is unlimited. The third quarterback receives full pay and vesting, so again the owner is paying someone to do nothing. Fans are penalized, too. If the third quarterback could play, for most teams he'd hold for placements -- and this might increase the likelihood of fake kicks, among the most exciting plays in football. There might be more trick plays. Not wanting to risk injury to the most important player, most NFL teams have few, if any, trick plays involving the quarterback. Because the second quarterback trains to step in for the first, he doesn't practice trick plays either. If the third QB could play, he might spend his time learning trick plays (two quarterbacks on the field at once, etc.) that fans would enjoy. Free the Third Quarterback!

It's at this link.

This was written by Jerry Markbreit (former NFL ref extraordinaire) in 2004. I don't know if it still applies, but I'm pretty sure it does.

This was from this source.

There was also this snippet from a TMQ article written late last year (November 2005):

It's at this link.

762049[/snapback]

I think those are accurate but the idea that the third QB is being paid to do nothing is off the mark. If anything, they are being paid to be available if needed.

That one quote says that they can dress 45 players. What if they dress the 3rd QB as one of those 45 and don't use that emergency slot? It probably makes very little sense to do this, but is it at least possible?

That one quote says that they can dress 45 players.  What if they dress the 3rd QB as one of those 45 and don't use that emergency slot?  It probably makes very little sense to do this, but is it at least possible?

762287[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure that if you name your 3rd QB among the 45 then he can freely come in and out of the game like any other back up.

I thought if the 1st Qb gets injured and you put in the 3rd QB before the 2nd QB, then neither the 1st or 2nd QB can play for the rest of the game. Whoever came up with all these ridiculous rules was an idiot.

762414[/snapback]

This is the case if you name the 46th dressed man and assigned an "emergency QB" as outlined above however in the case when he's among the 45 dressed I think it doesn't matter.

I'm pretty sure that if you name your 3rd QB among the 45 then he can freely come in and out of the game like any other back up.

762403[/snapback]

yes. Bill parcells is notorious for doing this, so he can use his third stringer as a ST'er. He also did this when he had Tom Tupa as a punter. Tupa was also an NFL starting QB at one point. So tuna. would basically have four qb's on the roster

Otherwise the third stringer would be #46 and couldn't play until the fourth.

I thought if the 1st Qb gets injured and you put in the 3rd QB before the 2nd QB, then neither the 1st or 2nd QB can play for the rest of the game. Whoever came up with all these ridiculous rules was an idiot.

762414[/snapback]

Yes the rule states that if yyour emergency QB comes in before the 4rd quarter. The first and second stringers are not allowed to play in the rest of the game. This is why when the Bills had JP listed as 3rd stringer in his rookie season, they didn't give him playing time until the 4th quarter.