Another reason we may have kept 5 safeties

Kelly the Dog

First, I think Coy Wire was mostly kept because Matt Bowen is hurt now and they really don't know if he will be out one more day or ten or perhaps much more.

But second, this is another possibility. If Clements or McGee goes down, I think they move Vincent to CB and put Simpson in there at FS. When he returns, Bowen could back up FS, too, if necessary as he has some wheels. Then they could keep Jabari as the nickel back which he is much better suited for at this point, IMO. With Youboty and Greer being young, I also really think they wanted some experience like Thomas brings, as opposed to all three back-up CBs being inexperienced. We have already seen them play Vincent at CB in camp in the nickel and dime packages. It's just a theory but I think it's a real possibility or fallback plan.

First, I think Coy Wire was mostly kept because Matt Bowen is hurt now and they really don't know if he will be out one more day or ten or perhaps much more.

But second, this is another possibility. If Clements or McGee goes down, I think they move Vincent to CB and put Simpson in there at FS. When he returns, Bowen could back up FS, too, if necessary as he has some wheels. Then they could keep Jabari as the nickel back which he is much better suited for at this point, IMO. With Youboty and Greer being young, I also really think they wanted some experience like Thomas brings, as opposed to all three back-up CBs being inexperienced. We have already seen them play Vincent at CB in camp in the nickel and dime packages. It's just a theory but I think it's a real possibility or fallback plan.

760528[/snapback]

Vincent can't play corner anymore. He's not any better at this point in his career than whoever our thrid corner will be (probably greer),

It's simple as to why they kept Coy Wire over Rashad.

Coy gives has been around for about 5 years, knows the system, and although he's not a great player he catches on quickly and can teach others. Baker, who struggled to learn the system and didn't have a huge impact, is not a better mentor to KO and Donte than Coy will be.

Vincent can't play corner anymore.  He's not any better at this point in his career than whoever our thrid corner will be (probably greer),

760534[/snapback]

But he is like having a coach on the field.

The question is: who the hell wants a coach on the field?

Coy gives has been around for about 5 years, knows the system

Uh, we have a new defensive coordinator and a new system - which Wire has NEVER played in.

and although he's not a great player he catches on quickly and can teach others. 

760562[/snapback]

Right. Which is why he is continually out of position on passing plays and regularly fills the wrong gap in run support.

Uh, we have a new defensive coordinator and a new system - which Wire has NEVER played in.

Right.  Which is why he is continually out of position on passing plays and regularly fills the wrong gap in run support.

760614[/snapback]

I agree, he seems to be out of position and in the wrong place much of the time he’s on the field. I think Wire is an idiot when playing defense, so we are missing something that the coaches feel is important to the team. Could it be his ST play is critical or better than the alternatives? Maybe Bobby April has his reasons? :wub:

Let's face it.... there's no logical reason to keep Coy Wire. He's pretty lousy as a safety. And although we can argue he's valuable to the special teams, he's certainly not the second coming of Tasker or even Pike. Hence, there's no real reason that he has remained on this roster for so long.

Although, I do agree with a different post on this topic... he must have something going for him that we as fans don't see. Because this is now the 3rd coaching regime that has kept him on the roster.

For the life of me though, I can't see it.

Let's face it.... there's no logical reason to keep Coy Wire.  He's pretty lousy as a safety. And although we can argue he's valuable to the special teams, he's certainly not the second coming of Tasker or even Pike.  Hence, there's no real reason that he has remained on this roster for so long.

Although, I do agree with a different post on this topic... he must have something going for him that we as fans don't see.  Because this is now the 3rd coaching regime that has kept him on the roster. 

For the life of me though, I can't see it.

760628[/snapback]

Tasker and Pike were all-time greats on STs, so it is a little unfair to compare him to them. That said, he is part of the coverage units which might be the best in the NFL.

I suppose that April just wants the continuity.

Tasker and Pike were all-time greats on STs, so it is a little unfair to compare him to them. That said, he is part of the coverage units which might be the best in the NFL.

I suppose that April just wants the continuity.

760629[/snapback]

I completely agree with you. However, it just seems like a high price to pay (a roster sport on a so-so team) for a little continuity on special teams. My only real rationale is that you just can't cut everyone in the first year.

I agree with all of the above, his versatility keeps him on the squad. He isn't great at any one position but he can he can play so many. Remember, he was a linebacker in college and in the new speedier, smaller LB type defense we now play, he could fill in if we really had a rash of injuries. Again, not great, but covers a lot of positions which allows you to take some chances.

Could it be that Wire actually has value in the new defence ? We know he didn't thrive in Gray's out on a limb blitz schemes. Things might be more in front of him in Cover 2.

Grasping at straws.

760528[/snapback]

Two simple reasons:

1 - Bowen is hurt.

2 - He excels at Special Teams.

Coy is a high caracter guy that the coaching staff wants his coverage skills are dismal buy maybe theyre improving. He works hard and is a good team guy, Very good on special teams, Im sure the coaching staff is keeping there fingers cross that thay wont be forced to play him

All this is bullchit.

The only reason he's still around is the sound of his name.

Koi Whyr

He's the only one we've got with a name to balance the all-time greatest sounding name in foosball:

Teddi Brewski

Face it. Wiffout Koi Whyr we'd be a laughingstock.

It's simple as to why they kept Coy Wire over Rashad.

Coy gives has been around for about 5 years, knows the system, and although he's not a great player he catches on quickly and can teach others.  Baker, who struggled to learn the system and didn't have a huge impact, is not a better mentor to KO and Donte than Coy will be.

760562[/snapback]

He does not know the system...They are installing a new system.....

As Kelly mentioned, it is mainly to cover the injury to Bowen...If Bowen

returns from his injury, we might cut Wire and get a OL depth.