Fantasy Football and Overexposure

Fantasy Football has become mainstream. Has this fact hurt your interest in fantasy football?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Fantasy Football has become mainstream. Has this fact hurt your interest in fantasy football?

• Yes
    • No

There are many examples of overexposure in life: Song gets overplayed on the radio, media focuses too much attention on a celebrity etc. Now has Fantasy Football been affected?

For me it has. I still enjoy it, but so many commercials now about fantasy football for me has taken some of the joy out of it.

Thoughts?

What has soured the FFL league for me is that is doesn't require any sort of football knowledge to play anymore. When I first started playing 15 years ago, if you didn't do your homework, you ended up losing. Now, any Joe Schmoe can just pick up a magazine with some cheat sheets and become an expert.

What has soured the FFL league for me is that is doesn't require any sort of football knowledge to play anymore.  When I first started playing 15 years ago, if you didn't do your homework, you ended up losing.  Now, any Joe Schmoe can just pick up a magazine with some cheat sheets and become an expert.

757338[/snapback]

True, but I think the key is now to buck the trend of the "experts" and dictate how the draft will flow.

I do some Yahoo online leagues just for fun and I notice almost consistently the people pick right along with the pre draft default rankings.

And as for this poll, seems it is a slam dunk choice for now :)

I thought this was going to ask if FF becoming mainstream has hurt your interest in football. FF definitely changes the way you watch it. Now you can still have a good season when the Bills don't. Last year I won two leagues and came in 2nd in my other two. It was a fun season. Gave me a diversion.

... but ... that wasn't the question.

To answer the real question ... I've been doing FF since 94, when I commished leagues by checking the Chicago Sun-Times on Monday mornings. The main thing this has done for me is make it easier for me to commish more leagues to get more people involved. Yeah, you can pick up a cheatsheet at WalMart, but real research still wins -- like the year I picked up Kurt Warner in the first week after Trent Green got hurt. The only thing that has prevented real research from winning was the stretch of time that having Priest Holmes = Championship in about 80% of leagues.

What has soured the FFL league for me is that is doesn't require any sort of football knowledge to play anymore.  When I first started playing 15 years ago, if you didn't do your homework, you ended up losing.  Now, any Joe Schmoe can just pick up a magazine with some cheat sheets and become an expert.

757338[/snapback]

I disagree.

I still think guys that do a better job gathering info and keeping on eye on things before the draft and durring the season do better than the guys who don't. Joe Schmoe who picks up a magazine prior to the draft and makes his picks from that is going to get whacked - those magazines are put together in May, long before anyone knows anything about the season. Seriously - that same Joe Schmoe is probably pretty psyched that he was able to get Curtis Martin and Domanick Davis so late in the draft and they are going to anchor his team to victory (or anchor him to the bottom of the ocean). These same Joe Schmoes don't bother to find out who's hurt and who a replacement player is, so I see them really get destroyed - they are far from experts and it shows.

That said, even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in awhile (I remember laughing at a guy who knew nothing about football taking Stephen Davis, the backup to Skip Hicks in Washington, and ending up getting a guy who went 1400+/17 - dude still knew nothing at all about football but got lucky).

I thought this was going to ask if FF becoming mainstream has hurt your interest in football.  FF definitely changes the way you watch it.  Now you can still have a good season when the Bills don't.  Last year I won two leagues and came in 2nd in my other two.  It was a fun season.  Gave me a diversion. 

... but ... that wasn't the question.

To answer the real question ... I've been doing FF since 94, when I commished leagues by checking the Chicago Sun-Times on Monday mornings.  The main thing this has done for me is make it easier for me to commish more leagues to get more people involved.  Yeah, you can pick up a cheatsheet at WalMart, but real research still wins -- like the year I picked up Kurt Warner in the first week after Trent Green got hurt.  The only thing that has prevented real research from winning was the stretch of time that having Priest Holmes = Championship in about 80% of leagues.

757348[/snapback]

Ah yes - 1999 was the year I picked Warner off waivers myself and paired him with a rookie I took a chance on - a guy by the name Edgerrin James - I ran away with it that year.

There are many examples of overexposure in life:  Song gets overplayed on the radio, media focuses too much attention on a celebrity etc.  Now has Fantasy Football been affected?

For me it has. I still enjoy it, but so many commercials now about fantasy football for me has taken some of the joy out of it. 

Thoughts?

757332[/snapback]

It annoys me when people care more about their fantasy team than any real team.

I just wish their wasn't so much luck involved in fantasy football so those of us who actually understand it and have been playing it a while could cash in on all of the novices just getting into it.

However, the short season and playoff systems usually allow too much luck to enter into the equation and the best team doesn't win as much as it should. Oh well, I guess part of the reason its so popular is because you don't really need to know that much about football to win (as long as you have a little bit of luck).

There are many examples of overexposure in life:  Song gets overplayed on the radio, media focuses too much attention on a celebrity etc.  Now has Fantasy Football been affected?

Thoughts?

757332[/snapback]

I am torn... I never liked FF to begin with, and the overexposure has made me like it even less... So which option does that mean I should pick? :)

I am torn... I never liked FF to begin with, and the overexposure has made me like it even less... So which option does that mean I should pick?  :)

757395[/snapback]

Amen. As I've mentioned before, it has become brutal watching all the FF stats roll along the bottom of the screen every five minutes. It's just annoying as hell. You should have an option on your TV, like closed caption, to either view it or not.

Amen. As I've mentioned before, it has become brutal watching all the FF stats roll along the bottom of the screen every five minutes. It's just annoying as hell. You should have an option on your TV, like closed caption, to either view it or not.

757401[/snapback]

I'm a big FF fan (play in two leagues every year), but I HATE the way the networks force it down our throats. My leagues use a great online site and I can follow everything there -- I don't need the TV networks messing w/ the game telecasts.

On CBS games, for example -- it's the first quarter and McGahee takes a handoff. After the play is over, a little stat box slides out that says "McGahee -- 2 carries, 6 yards." What sense does this make?

757401[/snapback]

I love fantasy football, but I agree 100% with this. I don't watch the games for my fantasy teams, I want to see the game and only the game when I'm watching on TV. I select my lineups on Friday's, keep an eye out for any late scratches Saturday and Sunday AM, but usually I don't look again until Monday AM to see how I did and if I still can win with the Monday night game.

FF is fun, but I don't need all these stupid reports on TV and on the internet 24/7.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to see if anyone became available at RB in the last 15 minutes.

I'm a big FF fan (play in two leagues every year), but I HATE the way the networks force it down our throats.  My leagues use a great online site and I can follow everything there -- I don't need the TV networks messing w/ the game telecasts.

On CBS games, for example -- it's the first quarter and McGahee takes a handoff.  After the play is over, a little stat box slides out that says "McGahee -- 2 carries, 6 yards."  What sense does this make?

757412[/snapback]

Actually, it does make sense if you're out at a bar, the sound isn't on and they are showing multiple games - you can look up and see how many yards McGahee has - there are lots of people who want to know.

I know the there are constant scrolls with stats, but if you don't care, don't pay attention to them. When I watch the news I don't pay any attention to what is scrolling along the bottom ("the crawl") - I'm busy listening to/watching the story they are presenting - the same can be done with football.

Fans have to realize that in general, fantasy football is a very good thing for the NFL, and by extension, the sport. I used to only be interested in the - now I'm interested in almost every game. I watch more football. I'm more inclined to go to a game or buy NFL merchandise (especially if I win my league and have some extra loot).

FF is just like Poker..the occasional schmoe will win everyone once in a while, but overall the better players will rise to the top

757448[/snapback]

You are right, I just wish it were more like fantasy basketball and baseball where it's virtually impossible to win without actually having the best team all year.