Thinking outloud

OnTheRocks

DISCLAIMER: I do not think the Texans will make this offer, I am just playing the "I get to be GM" in my head for kicks and giggles.

Watching the news reports from Houston and it looks like the Texans could be without Dominick Davis.

If the Texans came calling and offered a 1st round pick for McGahee would you make that deal? For me it is a no brainer, I would make that deal in a second.

I know last year the Seahawks shopped Alexander and the Colts shopped James, and no one would even offer a 2nd rounder.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DISCLAIMER:  I do not think the Texans will make this offer, I am just playing the "I get to be GM" in my head for kicks and giggles.

Watching the news reports from Houston and it looks like the Texans could be without Dominick Davis.

If the Texans came calling and offered a 1st round pick for McGahee would you make that deal?  For me it is a no brainer, I would make that deal in a second. 

I know last year the Seahawks shopped Alexander and the Colts shopped James, and no one would even offer a 2nd rounder.

756439[/snapback]

No, because no one else on the roster had proven that they are solid enough to be to a #1 back. We would then end up in the same boat as Houston.

No. No way. We wouldn't have a #1 RB this year, and we'd be forced to find one next year. A #1 pick would not guarantee a RB the caliber of Willis.

Now for a #1 in 2007 and a #1 in 2008 and a solid LB, I might consider it.

DISCLAIMER:  I do not think the Texans will make this offer, I am just playing the "I get to be GM" in my head for kicks and giggles.

If the Texans came calling and offered a 1st round pick for McGahee would you make that deal?  For me it is a no brainer, I would make that deal in a second. 

756439[/snapback]

I dunno... Texans suck pretty hard, that would be one damn high pick. Would be worth considering, but if we should deal McGahee, with no RB/running game it would make evaluating/developing JP a whole heck of a lot harder this year.

756461[/snapback]

It would be 2 high picks. Without a decent starter at RB we'd suck too! :D

I really like Lionel Gates, but I don't like him THAT much....I wouldn't trade Willis. I think he'll mature and continue to get better, perhaps even eventually living up to his own standard.

No. No way. We wouldn't have a #1 RB this year, and we'd be forced to find one next year. A #1 pick would not guarantee a RB the caliber of Willis.

Now for a #1 in 2007 and a #1 in 2008 and a solid LB, I might consider it.

756460[/snapback]

With Houston's #1 we could probably get Adrian Peterson from OU. That being said I don't think I would do it because it would pretty much be flushing this year down the toilet and IMO would have a serious impact on the development of JP.

756439[/snapback]

I would make that trade in a split second. I think that Willis is a very good back, but he is more than likely counting the days until his exit from Buffalo.

Besides, the Texans 07 pick could very well be a top 10, or even 5. Sadly, the Bills imo share this distinction, and could easily wind up with 2 extremely early picks if this trade was made.

You are right, the Texans would never offer this much, but if they did it would be a no-brainer.

I would make that trade in a split second. I think that Willis is a very good back, but he is more than likely counting the days until his exit from Buffalo.

Besides, the Texans 07 pick could very well be a top 10, or even 5. Sadly, the Bills imo share this distinction, and could easily wind up with 2 extremely early picks if this trade was made.

You are right, the Texans would never offer this much, but if they did it would be a no-brainer.

756522[/snapback]

You are obviously playing for the future, and thinking that Willis wont be here so why dont we get something while we can. I ask you..... how many more years are you going to throw away before you want the Bills to win? When are you going to play for right now, to win right now? If thats the case you should trade Clements now, and possibly Fletcher since he is getting older. My point being you can say you are playing for the future with anyone, and if you always think that way you cant win now. If the Bills traded Willis now, and it is most likely agreed we would suck even worse this year, are you comfortable with the Bills throwing another year away for something that we dont even know is there in 07?

I ask you..... how many more years are you going to throw away before you want the Bills to win? When are you going to play for right now, to win right now?

756528[/snapback]

Not yet, and Marv seems to agree. In the first 4 rounds, he drafted 3 defensive backs; only one of whom likely to start.

Remember, this scenario was imaginary. The way question played out, the Bills could very easliy wind up with 2 top 10 picks, and the #1 was not even out of the question.

If JP can play, this would open the door for perhaps a premium LT and a top rated linebacker. If not, how about a stud qb to go with a LT? Or, how about a trade down?

Again, I am a fan of MaGahee, and I think that he will have a good season. However, a top 10 pick? Like I said, in a split second.

756522[/snapback]

I'd like to know where people keep getting this from. Nothing I've heard from Willis suggests anything other than that he is committed to playing the best he can for the Bills. Is it because he practices in Miami during the offseason? Because Rosenhaus is his agent? What is it?

In answer to the original question, I would not make this trade. Two years ago Willis showed the potential to be a top five back. He regressed last season, but I blame the coaching staff and lack of OL talent up the middle more than I blame Willis. Even during a "bad" season last year he still averaged 75 yards a game -- while being taken out on 3rd downs and playing no part in the passing game.

Willis is our best offensive player right now..why would we do this? Last year our coaching was a mess our o-line was bad, we couldnt pass so he had to look at 8 guys in the box all the time. He kinda has a right to have been a little discouraged playing. He got his 1000 yards then put the season in idle, now the team is improving all around, hes in better shape and is attitude should be better. trading him is nonsense

I'd like to know where people keep getting this from.  Nothing I've heard from Willis suggests anything other than that he is committed to playing the best he can for the Bills.  Is it because he practices in Miami during the offseason?  Because Rosenhaus is his agent?  What is it?

In answer to the original question, I would not make this trade.  Two years ago Willis showed the potential to be a top five back.  He regressed last season, but I blame the coaching staff and lack of OL talent up the middle more than I blame Willis.  Even during a "bad" season last year he still averaged 75 yards a game -- while being taken out on 3rd downs and playing no part in the passing game.

756534[/snapback]

To lob the ball back in your court, do you think that Willis, given his contract status and his history of injuries, is worth a top 10 draft pick? If not, is he worth more, or less?

Is there anything that you would take for him in a trade in terms of draft picks, or is he such an all-time great that one cannot place a value on his services?

PS: I am NOT being snide, just asking a serious question.