Could JP be the next great Bills QB?

Tolstoy

Time will tell of course, but for the first time since Jim Kelly we have a QB with both the necessary athletic ability (my apologies to D. Flutie and A. van Pelt) and the swagger (apologies to T. Collins and deer-in-the-headlights R. Johnson) to make it big.

The one unknown is game-composure. I don't think you can predict if and when a QB will reach that comfort level with the game such that he can begin to play effortlessly--i.e., enter the so-called "zone." Right now, JP is struggling mightily for all of his gains. My hope is that a patient GM and coaching staff, a decent O line, and a good offensive scheme (all of which seem to be possible this year) will enable JP to reach this Manning, Palmer, Brady level.

Until then, I don't think we could ask for more: a young QB with all the tools and a bit of seasoning entering his 3rd year.

I think that that at the end of the season we will have a budding star on our hands.

Am I unreasonably optimistic?

Give him a dominant O-line, which I have to think is coming next year, and then we'll see.

756057[/snapback]

Yep, my thoughts exactly. JP's continued growth combined with a solidified line will really improve our offense. You can already see what he's able to do with just a little more time than he had last year....hopefully it translates into some exciting football during the regular season.

I fully expect JP to break Marino's single-season record for passing yardage/TDs (5084/48).

756054[/snapback]

One small correction ... peyton manning now holds the record for TDs (49 in 2004) .... but I'll be satisfied if JP ties Marino with 48! :devil:

The way I see it, J.P. is getting more comfortable in the pocket, and even a novice fan can take note of that. His ax to grind right now is the sense that he's completely in-charge and honing his field general skills so he CAN take it to the next level. If the proof is how far he's come since last season, the odds are extremely good in my estimation!!

We all hope he is the next great Bills QB. We're all tired of the ones that have sucked since Kelly retired. It would also free us up in the draft to take a guy like Adrian Peterson to replace McGahee when he bounces on Buffalo or a monster for our O-Line(God please, no more Mike Williams clones though), or a TE like Olsen out of the "U". From #1 to #7, or how many ever picks we get, all the way down to be able to draft other positions of need because our QB spot is sewn up.

We all hope he is the next great Bills QB.  We're all tired of the ones that have sucked since Kelly retired. It would also free us up in the draft to take a guy like Adrian Peterson to replace McGahee when he bounces on Buffalo or a monster for our O-Line(God please, no more Mike Williams clones though), or a TE like Olsen out of the "U". From #1 to #7, or how many ever picks we get, all the way down to be able to draft other positions of need because our QB spot is sewn up.

756238[/snapback]

I'm hoping we take a DE with our first pick next year !

JP>RJ

756050[/snapback]

I'm with you Inkman. I'm hoping that this doesn't turn out to be one of TD's quarterbacks full of potential but doesn't work out. Have to be optimistic. If he has time to throw, then we'll find out what he's all about.

JP has some weapons infront of him and definetly behind him. Lee, Willis, Roscoe and Peerless not to mention some stout 2nd stringers and he has a fairly agile line infront of him.

He no doubt has the talent to lead the offense and as long as the coaches continue to foster an atmosphere where he can develop quality relationships and he continues to do so himself he will become an excellent QB.

They say that preseason games are not important, but I feel much more confident in JP heading into this season than last season based on what I saw in the preseason games this year versus the preseason games last year. The kid definitely has a gun -- and the athletic abillty to make some great plays.

I hate to say it, but I really am glad that the expectations are so low heading into the season. Everyone is expecting us to finish 4-12 or 5-11. That will take pressure off JP, as the season is now being billed as his developmental season, rather than as one in which everything else seems to be in place provided that JP doesn't screw it up. That's what the caches were saying last year if you remember. Of course, there many reasons beyond JP for why we stunk so bad last season.

JP is a big-play QB. That means that we will see him make some great plays that should help us win some games -- but he is also going to make some serious mistakes that will single-handedly cause us to lose games. I expect tons of excitement in that regard... both good and bad. I'm glad to see that the coaching staff is mindful of this already. Let's give the kid 16 starts with what looks so far to be a decent offensive coaching staff. If he is God awful -- and not showing signs of improvement down the stretch, then we'll know he's not the answer. But I just can't help but think that we may have the next Brett Favre on our hands, if the stars and moon align the right way.

Bottom line: the onus is on all of us (fans and media alike) to be patient and not call for his benching early in the season. With two tough road games against NE and Miami to start the year, the chances are pretty good that he will struggle early on. It will be interesting to see how he rides the storm without a self-serving QB-killer like Moulds waiting in the wings.

Remember, in Jim Kelly's first season as a starter, the team went 4-12. But we were all optimistic heading into the following year. I can live with a 4-12 season if it points us in a positive direction heading forward. Of course, winning 8 or more games wouldn't be bad either...

JP is a big-play QB. That means that we will see him make some great plays that should help us win some games -- but he is also going to make some serious mistakes that will single-handedly cause us to lose games. I expect tons of excitement in that regard... both good and bad.

756264[/snapback]

I would like to see drives that chew up the clock.

Time will tell of course, but for the first time since Jim Kelly we have a QB with both the necessary athletic ability (my apologies to D. Flutie and A. van Pelt) and the swagger (apologies to T. Collins and deer-in-the-headlights R. Johnson) to make it big.

The one unknown is game-composure.  I don't think you can predict if and when a QB will reach that comfort level with the game such that he can begin to play effortlessly--i.e., enter the so-called "zone."  Right now, JP is struggling mightily for all of his gains.  My hope is that a patient GM and coaching staff, a decent O line, and a good offensive scheme (all of which seem to be possible this year) will enable JP to reach this Manning, Palmer, Brady level.

Until then, I don't think we could ask for more: a young QB with all the tools and a bit of seasoning entering his 3rd year.

I think that that at the end of the season we will have a budding star on our hands.

Am I unreasonably optimistic?

756049[/snapback]

How about JP playing an entire season before we put his bust next to Kelly's in Canton.

Remember, in Jim Kelly's first season as a starter, the team went 4-12. But we were all optimistic heading into the following year. I can live with a 4-12 season if it points us in a positive direction heading forward. Of course, winning 8 or more games wouldn't be bad either...

756264[/snapback]

Also remember that Kelly's first year came after 2 (or 3) years in the USFL, and the USFL had 18 regular season games. Kelly came already seasoned. He did not come into the NFL green.

I would like to see drives that chew up the clock.

756321[/snapback]

First off, beggers can't be choosers.

Secondly, I'll take a few 1 play TD drives every game, as long as we win.

Third, Through the preseason, anytime we got a nice long drive with JP behind center, some moron would line up wrong, hold or jump early.

Some things aren't all up to the QB.