Duke Preston

JDG

From the article:

"[Preston] probably would be going into this season as the starting center under the former coaching staff, but the new regime apparently wasn't comfortable going with a young guy, which is why veteran free agent Melvin Fowler was signed. "

The new regime apparently wasn't comfortable with a young guy? You mean the new regime that is preparing to start a rookie safety, and likely a rookie defensive tackle as well? Yeah, that must be it..... Or just maybe the new regime just didn't think that Duke Preston was all that good....

O.k., I know that this was a puff piece, but somehow I couldn't resist....

JDG

Center's a tough position for a young guy.  SS and DT are not nearly as cerebral.

755350[/snapback]

True. Although I wonder if the difference is that they'd rather go w/young guys that they drafted and know about rather than young guys Donahoe drafted whom they don't know a lot about.

Plus, I bet McNally had some say in this and wasn't comfortable with Preston starting now for whatever reason.

From the article:

"[Preston] probably would be going into this season as the starting center under the former coaching staff, but the new regime apparently wasn't comfortable going with a young guy, which is why veteran free agent Melvin Fowler was signed. "

The new regime apparently wasn't comfortable with a young guy?    You mean the new regime that is preparing to start a rookie safety, and likely a rookie defensive tackle as well?  Yeah, that must be it.....  Or just maybe the new regime just didn't think that Duke Preston was all that good....

JDG

755342[/snapback]

Good move by the Bills. Preston looks like the only decent depth on the O-line. Gotta hope we have another guard and couple of tackles that can play if needed.

From the article:

The new regime apparently wasn't comfortable with a young guy?    You mean the new regime that is preparing to start a rookie safety, and likely a rookie defensive tackle as well?  Yeah, that must be it.....  Or just maybe the new regime just didn't think that Duke Preston was all that good....

JDG

755342[/snapback]

Yeah, center, SS, and DT are pretty much the same in the grand scheme of things. Do you know ANYTHING about football?

Yeah, center, SS, and DT are pretty much the same in the grand scheme of things.  Do you know ANYTHING about football?

755535[/snapback]

Its amazing. Once again, if you dare to criticize the quality of players on the Bills' roster around here, you immediately get your football IQ questioned. And yet somehow we end up out of the playoffs year after year.... Go figure....

Anyhow, do the words "Dan Koppen" mean anything to you?

But what do I know about football......

JDG

Its amazing.  Once again, if you dare to criticize the quality of players on the Bills' roster around here, you immediately get your football IQ questioned.  And yet somehow we end up out of the playoffs year after year....  Go figure....

JDG

755571[/snapback]

I think the thing which really made it a puff piece was that the theory that the an OL move shows that the new regime is so different than the old regime is that since JMac has strong influence or is for the most part actially in control of our OL decisions, the old regime and the new regime are substantially the same,

If fact, if JMac does not actually have strong influence, that is the story media should be covering rather than an alleged difference between the new regime and the old regime regarding OL.

Its amazing.   Once again, if you dare to criticize the quality of players on the Bills' roster around here, you immediately get your football IQ questioned.   And yet somehow we end up out of the playoffs year after year....  Go figure....

JDG

755571[/snapback]

It has nothing to do with criticizing the piece. YOU are the one who equated starting a rookie at DT and SS with starting a rookie at CENTER.

You know, CENTER. Generally the SMARTEST PLAYER on the field who isn't a QUARTERBACK. Probably not a good place to put a ROOKIE when you're starting QB has a grand total of EIGHT GAMES under his belt. Leave it to you to bring up Dan Koppen, who only started as a rookie because Woody went down. I guess every team should pick a QB in the sixth round, and ride them to the Super Bowl too.

But let's pretend it's because you criticized a writer. :devil:

True. Although I wonder if the difference is that they'd rather go w/young guys that they drafted and know about rather than young guys Donahoe drafted whom they don't know a lot about.

Plus, I bet McNally had some say in this and wasn't comfortable with Preston starting now for whatever reason.

755371[/snapback]

Maybe our assistant O-line coach, Larry Zierlein, and former Browns O-line coach, had some input on Fowler's abilities since they worked together from 2002- 2004 together.

It generally takes a little longer for offensive lineman, especially mid round picks and later.

I don't think the Bills coaching staff thinks Preston sucks.

I think they're not convinced that Chris Villarrial doesn't suck. Because Preston's been coming in pretty early for him in preseason games.

FS makes the calls

755509[/snapback]

That is what i always thought...

I think Preston is a fine player but as many have already mentioned...experience is key.With a young QB in the backfield even more so..

It has nothing to do with criticizing the piece.  YOU are the one who equated starting a rookie at DT and SS with starting a rookie at CENTER. 

755683[/snapback]

Uh, Duke Preston ain't no rookie..... And its not like no rookie has ever had success starting at center.

JDG

Uh, Duke Preston ain't no rookie.....

How many starts does he have at center? That'd be zero. How many starts does he have period? That'd be ONE. Guess that makes him a seasoned veteran and we ought to just plug him in, since center is no different than DT or SS.

And its not like no rookie has ever had success starting at center.   

755859[/snapback]

Really? Why don't you give me the vast list of them. Make sure you add in guys who've never started at the position, on teams with new coaches, schemes, and a QB with 8 starts. That ought to be some list.

Regardless, you're simply attempting to deflect because you know you're wrong as hell.

Maybe they feel he'll be much better at guard.....esp. considering the trouble(& age) of CV. For now he might provide a good backup & when CV is done he steps up into the starters spot.

Just a thought.

How many starts does he have at center?  That'd be zero. 

755865[/snapback]

Um . . . not sure about the rest of your argument, but EVERY starting center in the history of the NFL had 0 previous starts at center the first time he started at center. You can't have experience before you have experience.

Now whether it's better to ride the pine for 1, 2, 3 years, etc. before making your first start is another question altogether. I imagine you are right that, in general, center is one of the harder positions to step right into.

Um . . . not sure about the rest of your argument, but EVERY starting center in the history of the NFL had 0 previous starts at center the first time he started at center. You can't have experience before you have experience.

755957[/snapback]

I'm too lazy to look it up, but did Preston have any college experience as a center, or was it all at guard?

Uh...Thanks. John's brilliant response was "Preston's not a rookie". A guy who has no starts in the NFL, is pretty much exactly that.

Here are Duke's "highlights" from his first season (according to BB.com):

2005: Saw action as right guard in season opener vs. Hou (9/11)… Saw action on special teams at TB (9/18)…Saw action on offensive line in 4th quarter vs. ATL (9/25) … Did not play at NO (10/2) … Started first NFL game vs. Mia (10/9) filling in for Chris Villarrial at right guard … Saw action on special teams vs. NYJ (10/16) … Filled-in for an injured Chris Villarrial in fourth quarter at Oak. (10/23). Saw action on special teams at NE (10/30)... Replaced Chris Villarrial at right guard for the final four offensive plays of the game vs. KC (11/13). … Returned to his hometown and saw action on special teams at SD (11/20)... Saw action on special teams vs. Car. (11/27)... Replaced Chris Villarrial at right guard after he suffered a hamstring injury in the first quarter at Mia. (12/4) … also saw action on special teams … Saw action on special teams vs. NE (12/11) … Saw action on special teams vs. Den (12/17)... Saw action on special teams at Cin (12/24) … Saw action on special teams at NYJ (1/1/06).

Now whether it's better to ride the pine for 1, 2, 3  years, etc. before making your first start is another question altogether.

Add to that a new offense and what is essentially a rookie QB.

I imagine you are right that, in general, center is one of the harder positions to step right into.

755957[/snapback]

Thanks.