haven't seen any of the games

he seemed gunshy in the first 2 games, like he did last year at times. Last night he played great. He had one missnap leading to a fumble which he recovered, one INT on an out pass that the CB jumped, one coverage sack (maybe he had another one, i can't remember), and a couple illegal formation/delay of game penalties which could have been on him or the coaches (he did take the blame for the delay penalties in his postgame press conference). His TD pass was spectacular. he stepped up to avoid the rush, blasted a 60 yard bomb to price, which he caught in stride, then as he was following through, he ducked and did a WWF style bend over and give the opponent a backflip maneuver.

In short, JP showed some major progress, and if this game was an indication of the regular season, he at least won't be a liability and might even be a good player for us.

The TD was a truly remarkable play. He did five very good things on one play, something you don't see very often by anyone.

1] A blitzer came right at him untouched. He saw him and side-stepped him and avoided an easy sack.

2] He stepped up into the pocket just like he should have.

3] He could have easily run into a wide open secondary and probably would have last year but he stopped and re-surveyed the field.

4] He found Peerless 3 steps past his defender and also saw Willie McGinest running full speed at him to kill him. Then unleashed a perfect bomb that hit Peerless in stride for a TD.

5] At the spilt second he released the ball he ducked and somewhat dove at McGinest's legs so he didn't get pulverized because McGinest was right on him about to blast him. It was pretty remarkable that the pass was so accurate because he was almost ducking before the ball was out of his hand.

Other observations:

Like other mentioned, he made three pretty glaring mistakes although none of them killed us.

1] One time he didn't look at the play clock and got a delay of game. On first down. Inexcusable.

2] One play, an important one on third down, he just dropped the ball as he was coming out of the center snap and dropping back to pass. Looked to me like a good snap and he just dropped it, and then fell on it.

3] He threw an ill-advised pass on third down to an unopen Evans that the CB jumped and intercepted. It's not like anyone looked open on it. In the interview he just said the guy gambled and made the play and wasn't looking to cover Evans and that if it was a fly pattern it was a TD, although he took the blame for all his miscues.

He did a lot of very good things though. He was gunning the ball accurately all over the field. He threw several ropes to WRs 15-20 yards downfield that were right on the money, put into tight spots. Some of his best passes were actually incompletions. He had three drops that I can remember.

The coaches gave him some good plays to run. He showed a nice touch on a couple swing passes to the backs. He did a nice reverse bootleg and toss to the TE Everett on a third down that went 20 yards or so. They called a couple of rollouts. He escaped a couple sure sacks and then threw incompletions.

He made one decision to run up the middle at the seven yard line and scored a TD but it was called back. And even though the penalty was not his fault, at least it was a penalty that had no affect at all on the play, so it would have been a TD. Not like it was a hold where a defender might have tackled him. It was just an OL lined up wrong.

He didn't look nearly as jittery as he has been. And he has played better each of the three weeks. There was a lot to like. I really think Fairchild is using him right.

I agree with most of the above comments. He's improved. He seems to be learning from his mistakes.

At the beginning of training camp, I was skeptical that he was going to be a starting QB in the NFL. I'm optimistic now that by the end of this season, he'll be considered a solid starter. If he continues to eliminate the negatives in his game (e.g. he's still making some inaccurate throws), he might actually turn out to be a pretty good one.

I agree with most of the above comments. He's improved. He seems to be learning from his mistakes.

At the beginning of training camp, I was skeptical that he was going to be a starting QB in the NFL. I'm optimistic now that by the end of this season, he'll be considered a solid starter. If he continues to eliminate the negatives in his game (e.g. he's still making some inaccurate throws), he might actually turn out to be a pretty good one.

753216[/snapback]

I thought after watching the nfirst game he looked great, compared to last year especially. he also threw a strike to lee evens just abouve his head and out side where only evens could get it. That ball had some hard zip on that, and that touchdown last night was an amazing play for any qb. I was also encouraged by nall, he coulkd come in and play well if we needed him to. hes locked up the back up position in my opinion.

Just a coment on JP's preseason numbers.

He's hitting 65% of his passes and he's averaging 8.1 yds/att. So he's throwing the ball accurately and down the field, not dinking and dunking. He's been really impressive on throws in the 15-25 range.

Bledsoe only averaged 7.1 yds/att in his huge 2002 season with the Bills.

Peyton Manning hit 67% with 8.27 yds/att last year.

Not only does JP look good based on what we see, his numbers back it up in a big way.

Just a coment on JP's preseason numbers.

He's hitting 65% of his passes and he's averaging 8.1 yds/att. So he's throwing the ball accurately and down the field, not dinking and dunking. He's been really impressive on throws in the 15-25 range.

Bledsoe only averaged 7.1 yds/att in his huge 2002 season with the Bills.

Peyton Manning hit 67% with 8.27 yds/att last year. 

Not only does JP look good based on what we see, his numbers back it up in a big way.

753268[/snapback]

indeed, those are impressive numbers. anything above 7.5 ypa (probably the most indicative stat for a qb) puts you in the top half of the league. above 8 is in the elite realm.

He made one decision to run up the middle at the seven yard line and scored a TD but it was called back. And even though the penalty was not his fault, at least it was a penalty that had no affect at all on the play, so it would have been a TD. Not like it was a hold where a defender might have tackled him. It was just an OL lined up wrong.

753159[/snapback]

Question: Was that a late QB draw or was a pass play where nothing was open in the red zone?

753216[/snapback]

The other positives that I have seen are his teammates are coming out and acknowledging him...Both Evans and McGahee came out and prasied his plays.

Now the Vets like Fltetcher, Vincent and TKO have to believe in this kid and raise their own plays....Team should play good D/STs and let the offense come in

gradually....By midseason this team MAY gel into a good unit.