It seems that Losman gets too amped up...

Tipster19

I mentioned in an earlier post that an announcer commented that while most young players have to have the speed of the game slow down for them but Losman may be one of the few exceptions where he may have to slow down for the game. I thought that this was an interesting observation.

If Losman is going to be the starter, than maybe it would make more sense to have the game plan suit him better. How many times have you heard that players didn't fit the scheme of the team's philosophy? What would be more successful, change the game plan to suit the QB or change the QB to suit the game plan?

I mentioned in an earlier post that an announcer commented that while most young players have to have the speed of the game slow down for them but Losman may be one of the few exceptions where he may have to slow down for the game. I thought that this was an interesting observation.

If Losman is going to be the starter, than maybe it would make more sense to have the game plan suit him better. How many times have you heard that players didn't fit the scheme of the team's philosophy? What would be more successful, change the game plan to suit the QB or change the QB to suit the game plan?

747610[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing, but only for like the first series or so. Let him to get over the "jitters". Anything worth a try.

If you remember last year, during his first stint as starter, Losman ran the hurry-up offense more effectively than any other offense...of course, this meant that it had to be ditched. Against the Saints, after a sluggish start, the Bills came out in the hurry-up late in the third quarter if my increasingly bad memeory is correct. The Bills started to move the ball a little...not ones to be able to stand prosperity, MM & co pulled in the reins....

If you remember last year, during his first stint as starter, Losman ran the hurry-up offense more effectively than any other offense...of course, this meant that it had to be ditched.  Against the Saints, after a sluggish start, the Bills came out in the hurry-up late in the third quarter if my increasingly bad memeory is correct.  The Bills started to move the ball a little...not ones to be able to stand prosperity, MM & co pulled in the reins....

Didn't Mularkey admit to it, or maybe not admit to it but basically SHOW everyone, that if something worked, they didn't go back to it and saved it for some later date? I seem to recall something like that. <_<

Guest dog14787

747610[/snapback]

I think his inexperience just shows through sometimes. We can't run the no huddle all the time. (unless you have Jim Kelly) Preseason games are important for him, I hope they give him all the playing time possible. He should have more game time then he does but theres nothing we can do about it now. Losman was handled poorly last year. <_<

Maybe some painkillers are in order - worked for Favre - no?

747635[/snapback]

Let me preface my comments with ..... I am NOT yet drinking the JP koolaide ... I'm a Bills fan, I want him to do well ..... but I'd be just as happy with Holcomb or Nall if they turn out to be the better QB ............ now with that said .....

It seems to me that Lord Farve had big problems when he started out in the league with settling down at the beginning of a game ....... I seem to remember some horrendously bone headed plays/passes at the beginning of games early in his career ....... even to the point where announcers "and other so-called experts" doubted his ability to ever really be able to be a consistant QB in the NFL.

I'm not trying to say JP's career or sucess will ever equal Farve's, just saying JP is young ........ he's not only capable of spotty performance ..... but it should be pretty much expected, and the theroy that he needs to settle down / slow down a bit may not be too far fetched.

I want Losman to succeed also, I think that he is our best QB. The aspects to his game should make him a very exciting QB for years to come. I'm wondering, with Losman playing at a mile a minute and with us having alot of speed at the WR position, should we slow down our game plan or should we take advantage of Losman and our personnel's strengths? At least incorporate some off speed offensive plays instead of us just going to a run control offense. Maybe I'm wrong about the run control offense theory but at least that's what I'm expecting. If anybody knows or has any input on this team's offense scheme this year would be appreciated.

I think that's a good idea, in theory. IMO it matters more how the defense is doing rather than the offense. If the defense cannot stop anyone, running the no huddle is completely counter-productive and a recipe for disaster. If the defense is pretty decent it could be a good idea to get Losman some confidence. He seemed to run the no huddle a little better than the normal offense even when he was lousy last year. It fits his temperament. It could fit the fact we have young, athletic, somewhat undersized OL. But we don't know what kind of defense we're going to have until the real games.

I agree that J.P. showed he very well could be effective in the no-huddle. I specifically remember him running it very well in the Carolina game last year before Mularkey inexplicably pulled the plug on it.

The no huddle was effective in Buffalo because of all pro offensive lineman, a hall of fame quarterback, a future hall of fame running back and wide receiver, and an outstanding cast surrounding them. If the no huddle was the main reason for our success, there would be 31 other teams running it right now.

The no huddle was effective in Buffalo because of all pro offensive lineman, a hall of fame quarterback, a future hall of fame running back and wide receiver, and an outstanding cast surrounding them. If the no huddle was the main reason for our success, there would be 31 other teams running it right now.

748444[/snapback]

1) Why be a killjoy in just about every thread?

2) People who went to the games pointed out that as a weapon and not as the basis for the offense, JP is able to utilize it well. Nobody is arguing that the no-huddle should be the base offense or a heavy part of it as it was in Jimbo's day -- just that it shouldn't be abandoned completely when it happens to be something our young QB runs pretty damned efficiently.

1) Why be a killjoy in just about every thread?

2) People who went to the games pointed out that as a weapon and not as the basis for the offense, JP is able to utilize it well.  Nobody is arguing that the no-huddle should be the base offense or a heavy part of it as it was in Jimbo's day -- just that it shouldn't be abandoned completely when it happens to be something our young QB runs pretty damned efficiently.

748461[/snapback]

Aw, he's just being a realist. You know, like John Allen Muhammed and Lee Boyd Malvo.

Ray Finkel. The spree killer of threads.