Don Banks says

Risin

Banks Shots

1. We're not expecting Bills head coach Dick Jauron to come out and declare a winner just yet, but the dots are starting to get connected in favor of quarterback J.P. Losman. Losman could still jeopardize his standing with shaky performances in the first two preseason games, but the former first-round pick has turned in mostly solid showings in practice, while veteran Kelly Holcomb has struggled mightily at times.

In a Tuesday night practice, Holcomb was 16 of 22, but threw three ugly interceptions, fumbled once and was sacked twice. Losman was 15-of-23 during the same practice, but did not have a turnover. Losman winning the job is the best good development Buffalo could hope for. The Bills need to find out one way or another this year what they have in him before they can move forward as an organization. Having Holcomb, a 10th-year veteran, as the starter would be applying a band-aid to the position.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...ills/index.html

Take it, for what it's worth...

Banks Shots

1. We're not expecting Bills head coach Dick Jauron to come out and declare a winner just yet, but the dots are starting to get connected in favor of quarterback J.P. Losman. Losman could still jeopardize his standing with shaky performances in the first two preseason games, but the former first-round pick has turned in mostly solid showings in practice, while veteran Kelly Holcomb has struggled mightily at times.

In a Tuesday night practice, Holcomb was 16 of 22, but threw three ugly interceptions, fumbled once and was sacked twice. Losman was 15-of-23 during the same practice, but did not have a turnover. Losman winning the job is the best good development Buffalo could hope for. The Bills need to find out one way or another this year what they have in him before they can move forward as an organization. Having Holcomb, a 10th-year veteran, as the starter would be applying a band-aid to the  position.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...ills/index.html

Take it,  for what it's worth...

739516[/snapback]

If that new guy Marv signed is any good at all, I bet Holcomb is cut by the end of camp

I guess I wouldn't put my stock in this article and analysis, this morning the headline to that piece is "Sweet and Losman". I guess in order to accurately know the abilities of a player, you need to accurately know how to pronounce his name. Granted, there are likely headline writers there. But still, where are the editors. That's simply embarrassing.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...s/preview/2006/

I guess I wouldn't put my stock in this article and analysis, this morning the headline to that piece is "Sweet and Losman". I guess in order to accurately know the abilities of a player, you need to accurately know how to pronounce his name. Granted, there are likely headline writers there. But still, where are the editors. That's simply embarrassing.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...s/preview/2006/

739842[/snapback]

In all honesty I don't know if the correct pronunciation has ever been decided on. I seem to remember when he was first drafted, BB.com putting out the story on him with a specific comment on how to pronounce it correctly (that way being low-sman... in the way you would say sweet and low).

But a lot of analysts persisted to call him loss-man, perhaps with the negative connotation included purposely. Anyways, pronouncing a players name one way or another (though infuriating to some fans) doesn't prevent someone from giving a proper analysis of their talent.

In all honesty I don't know if the correct pronunciation has ever been decided on.  I seem to remember when he was first drafted, BB.com putting out the story on him with a specific comment on how to pronounce it correctly (that way being low-sman... in the way you would say sweet and low).

But a lot of analysts persisted to call him loss-man, perhaps with the negative connotation included purposely.  Anyways, pronouncing a players name one way or another (though infuriating to some fans) doesn't prevent someone from giving a proper analysis of their talent.

739948[/snapback]

Ask stevestojan. he knows.... :rolleyes:

BTW, it is officially Loss-man, AFAIK.

In all honesty I don't know if the correct pronunciation has ever been decided on.  I seem to remember when he was first drafted, BB.com putting out the story on him with a specific comment on how to pronounce it correctly (that way being low-sman... in the way you would say sweet and low).

But a lot of analysts persisted to call him loss-man, perhaps with the negative connotation included purposely.  Anyways, pronouncing a players name one way or another (though infuriating to some fans) doesn't prevent someone from giving a proper analysis of their talent.

739948[/snapback]

It's Loss-man. It always has been. He should know. And by now, all decent reporters should, too.

It's Loss-man. It always has been. He should know. And by now, all decent reporters should, too.

739972[/snapback]

Correct. I mean, c'mon - there's a pronunciation guide in last year's media guide, as well as in every single weekly game release.

(Then again, considering the number of mistakes found in last year's media guide, maybe that isn't the most trustworthy point of reference... :rolleyes: )

Addendum: the official pronunciation, direct from this week's press release, is "LAAS-man (like Los Angeles)".

Correct. I mean, c'mon - there's a pronunciation guide in last year's media guide, as well as in every single weekly game release.

(Then again, considering the number of mistakes found in last year's media guide, maybe that isn't the most trustworthy point of reference... :doh: )

739976[/snapback]

Of course, apparently Henrik Talleender and Toni Luhdman changed their own names this year. :rolleyes:

Of course, apparently Henrik Talleender and Toni Luhdman changed their own names this year.  :rolleyes:

739982[/snapback]

Finally found a Draft Profile for JP on the Tulane website. All the way at the bottom of the pdf document. It is Loss-men.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/school...n-draft-bio.pdf

Like I said, I thought at one point, people were calling him Lows-men... so I just didn't know what was correct.

Bad headline for the article, but it still doesn't discredit what is written about him. Chances are Banks didn't even write the headline.

Finally found a Draft Profile for JP on the Tulane website.  All the way at the bottom of the pdf document.  It is Loss-men.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/school...n-draft-bio.pdf

Like I said, I thought at one point, people were calling him Lows-men... so I just didn't know what was correct.

Bad headline for the article, but it still doesn't discredit what is written about him.  Chances are Banks didn't even write the headline.

739989[/snapback]

True. And I agree with the article myself, as well as stated in the original post there are probably headline writers at the site. Still, it's just plain bad. Also, when I wrote Loss-man, it should have been men like you wrote/linked, that's what I meant and the correct way to pronounce it (like "human" is usually sounded "humen").

(Then again, considering the number of mistakes found in last year's media guide, maybe that isn't the most trustworthy point of reference... :rolleyes: )

Addendum: the official pronunciation, direct from this week's press release, is "LAAS-man (like Los Angeles)".

739976[/snapback]

Even knowing the correct pronunciation it seems easily close enough to me to write a headline that is a play on words or pronunciation. In fact, since the practice at many newspapers is to have the headline writing and the articile writing being separate functions, holding this faux pas against the writers seems like going way overboard to me.

We may want to lighten up a little bit here.

Even knowing the correct pronunciation it seems easily close enough to me to write a headline that is a play on words or pronunciation.  In fact, since the practice at many newspapers is to have the headline writing and the articile writing being separate functions, holding this faux pas against the writers seems like going way overboard to me.

We may want to lighten up a little bit here.

740020[/snapback]

I agree; who the hell cares about accuracy? I just hope JP Lozenge is a great QB for the Bills this year.

I always find it interesting when these columnists for national magazine come to camp for a day and then have to write an article about it. For people who follow their team, it becomes immediately obvious that these guys don't know jack **** about the team they're visiting.

Case in point, besides all the obvious declarations in Banks' article, doesn't he also refer to Josh Reed as the definitive #2 receiver on this team? Anyone with a passing knowledge of the Bills will know what Josh has gone through over the past few years and understand that calling him the #2 at this point is just ridiculous.

I'm surprised Don didn't refer to Coy Wire as the #1 safety on the team.

RTB

True. And I agree with the article myself, as well as stated in the original post there are probably headline writers at the site. Still, it's just plain bad. Also, when I wrote Loss-man, it should have been men like you wrote/linked, that's what I meant and the correct way to pronounce it (like "human" is usually sounded "humen").

740010[/snapback]

This thread sounds an awful lot like you're trying to speak "Aussie" B-)