Holcomb just knocked himself out.

Most of his picks were from passes he threw down field. In this offense, with these speedy receivers, that's like a kiss of death for Holcomb.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3952

738892[/snapback]

As I have posted 4 or 5 times, KH cannot throw downfield effectively. I don't know if he ever could, but he certainly cannot now. Do you start a QB whom you have to scrap a significant portion of your offense because he is physically unable to perform it? This should be a rhetorical question.

I'm not as much concerned about the picks as I am in Kelly's own comments that the ball "sailed" on him. Sounds to me like he's pressing, realizing that the dink-and-dunk isn't what Fairchild is looking for.

It really doesn't matter who starts Saturday night. This job is now unofficially JP's to lose.

I'm not as much concerned about the picks as I am in Kelly's own comments that the ball "sailed" on him.  Sounds to me like he's pressing, realizing that the dink-and-dunk isn't what Fairchild is looking for.

It really doesn't matter who starts Saturday night.  This job is now unofficially JP's to lose.

738982[/snapback]

Great excuse! That's what his long passes do; they sail because he can't get enough on the ball. Guess this is news to Kelly. Get back to the bench where he belongs.

Most of his picks were from passes he threw down field. In this offense, with these speedy receivers, that's like a kiss of death for Holcomb.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3952

738892[/snapback]

If the coaches judge the QB position based on one single practice, they're !@#$ed no matter who starts.

I'm not as much concerned about the picks as I am in Kelly's own comments that the ball "sailed" on him.  Sounds to me like he's pressing, realizing that the dink-and-dunk isn't what Fairchild is looking for.

It really doesn't matter who starts Saturday night.  This job is now unofficially JP's to lose.

738982[/snapback]

I disagree that the dink and dunk is not what Fairchild is looking for. My understanding from some but not a lot I have seen of the Rams O, about their use of Faulk (a role we see WM playing), the players we accumulated, what we are doing in practice, and the comments of Fairchild and the players is:

1. This will be an O that can reasonably be called Rams East though there will be significant differences such as greater use of the TEs as checkdown receivers.

2. That though this offense may end up reasonably be called pass-happy, a lot of the passes will seek to produce long gains not by the QB throwing long passes downfield all the time, but by getting quick separation by speedy receivers who then take an 8 yard throw and produce RAC yardage.

3. Holcomb's challenge in this O since essentially he is a career back-up with some productive episodes is NOT going to be to line up and throw the ball long all day (I really doubt he can do this effectively) but instead to make good reads and identify which WRs are single covered so they can get separation when they are hit with the short pass.

Like any NFL QB, KH will need to go long a few times a game and actually hit a few here and there or opposing DBs will press and dare him to go deep. However, this threat can be made real enough to create space with him throwing it long against a press coverage simply to a particular spot and long yardage and a speedy WR runs under the ball rather than him needing an arm to thread it through good coverage.

After 10 years he should be able to make the reads and while he certainly does not have a Bledsoe like arm even a rag arm NFL QB can make the downfield throws a few times a game to keep the opposing DBs honest.

I think JP remains the odds on favorite to win the QB job though because rather than elevating his play to a new level to win the job (which KH would have to do if he solves his inconsistency issues) JP will actually need to rein in his game a bit to be more effective.

If JP learns the game well enough to slow it down in his brain he can make the reads necessary to dump it off either for a couple of yards and we live to fight another play or for a big gain from run after the catch. He needs to stop depending on his athleticism and ability he developed to make something happen which he learned running for his life behind the Tulane line and instead learn to let the game come to him, count on his teammates and really take the substantial amount the opposing D gives us.

Getting off the QB battle for a minute...

Did everyone catch the part that said Andre Davis has been the most consistent WR and that the coaching staff has been impressed with his separation on breaks? And Jauron said that you can't teach speed and he's been excellent at WR and on ST? Doesn't sound like a cut to me...

I disagree that the dink and dunk is not what Fairchild is looking for.  My understanding from some but not a lot I have seen of the Rams O, about their use of Faulk (a role we see WM playing), the players we accumulated, what we are doing in practice, and the comments of Fairchild and the players is:

1. This will be an O that can reasonably be called Rams East though there will be significant differences such as greater use of the TEs as checkdown receivers.

2. That though this offense may end up reasonably be called pass-happy, a lot of the passes will seek to produce long gains not by the QB throwing long passes downfield all the time, but by getting quick separation by speedy receivers who then take an 8 yard throw and produce RAC yardage.

3. Holcomb's challenge in this O since essentially he is a career back-up with some productive episodes is NOT going to be to line up and throw the ball long all day (I really doubt he can do this effectively) but instead to make good reads and identify which WRs are single covered so they can get separation when they are hit with the short pass.

Like any NFL QB, KH will need to go long a few times a game and actually hit a few here and there or opposing DBs will press and dare him to go deep.  However, this threat can be made real enough to create space with him throwing it long against a press coverage simply to a particular spot and long yardage and a speedy WR runs under the ball rather than him needing an arm to thread it through good coverage.

After 10 years he should be able to make the reads and while he certainly does not have a Bledsoe like arm even a rag arm NFL QB can make the downfield throws a few times a game to keep the opposing DBs honest.

I think JP remains the odds on favorite to win the QB job though because rather than elevating his play to a new level to win the job (which KH would have to do if he solves his inconsistency issues) JP will actually need to rein in his game a bit to be more effective.

If JP learns the game well enough to slow it down in his brain he can make the reads necessary to dump it off either for a couple of yards and we live to fight another play or for a big gain from run after the catch.  He needs to stop depending on his athleticism and ability he developed to make something happen which he learned running for his life behind the Tulane line and instead learn to let the game come to him, count on his teammates and really take the substantial amount the opposing D gives us.

739063[/snapback]

Pyrite,

This offense, based on the routes I saw in practice and on the countless clips on the web IS going to focus strongly on attacking down the field.

As far as your RAC theory, in my experience, the great RAC Wr's a far more often strong guys who can break tackles than they are slim speedy guys.

The Ram offinse that this is all based on is most known for Deep, 15-20 yard In Routes, along with lots of Streaks and Zone buster seam routes from the slot positions.

If KH does take the starting role into the season, you can bet that the coaches will be working overtime in order to gear down the routes in the scheme. Otherwise the Receivers that will be most active will be Willis, Shelton, Royal, etc. as opposed to Evans, Price, and Parrish

To me, it's not so much the three picks, it's because they were all deep passes. That means a lot considering this offense requires a lot of passes to be thrown deep.

738937[/snapback]

I doubt it is going to be that way......Fairchild has repeatedly said that this

is not going to be like the Rams offense......Also, If I remember, Marc Bulger

is a weak arm QB who gets the ball to the receivers like Holt who can put on

the moves on the CBs and get more YAC....

My feeling is unless, JP shows consistency with his short/intermediate routes

this coaching staff is going to take a DEEP Look at KH before deciding that

there is really no future for this franchise with KH....

BTW, I am a big supporter of JP and want him to be the starting QB, but

I don't know if this coaching staff necessarily thinks like us fans.