KH is the starting QB of this team

bbills17

JP is the starter? It began with a few posters here, and it just gained momentum for no reason that I can figure. Marv said from the very beginning, the guy that gives us the best chance to win will be the starting QB. Anyone here that believes it is JP is delusional.

The players support KH, he's the leader, and I'm thinking there isn't much doubt he will be the starter.

All of this talk about his 'rubber' arm is exagerated. Granted JP has the stronger arm, but KH can get it downfield just fine. It may not be zipped in like JP can, but he still has a good enough arm to do it. It's funny how a couple people around here start this, and then everyone else jumps on the bandwagon.

I've noticed the camp reports (from primarily JP supporters) have indicated the competition is close. I'm wondering if there is some bias since there clearly is support for JP over KH around here. Has KH in fact been ouplaying JP as per the media reports?

As far as I am concerned, KH is the better QB, he gives us the better chance to win, and JP can continue to learn on the bench just as many other QBs have.

JP is the starter?  It began with a few posters here, and it just gained momentum for no reason that I can figure.  Marv said from the very beginning, the guy that gives us the best chance to win will be the starting QB.  Anyone here that believes it is JP is delusional.

736129[/snapback]

What does Holcomb give them a chance to do? Win 7 games? Pick up 3 yards on 4th & 8? It may appear that JP does not give them the best chance to win because of his inexperience, but this team is not going to win playoff games this year with either guy at QB. JP gives them the best chance to be relevant in the NFL in 2007 and beyond.

All of this talk about his 'rubber' arm is exagerated.  Granted JP has the stronger arm, but KH can get it downfield just fine.  It may not be zipped in like JP can, but he still has a good enough arm to do it.  It's funny how a couple people around here start this, and then everyone else jumps on the bandwagon.

736129[/snapback]

Well, every safety in the NFL must read the Stadium Wall then, because they all seem to know Holcomb has no arm also. I'm sure Willis loves standing in the backfield looking at 3 LB's and 2 safeties all within six yards of the line of scrimmage.

By the way, I'm sure you could've found 19 other threads where your extremely intelligent post would've fit just fine. But I'm glad you started a new one... :lol:

Even IF KH gives the team a better chance to win, you have to put JP in there and give him a chance to develop. There's simply too much at stake here, given he was a first round pick. He's not going to learn much sitting on the bench -- the only way he'll learn is to play. Considering this team is not playoff caliber (unless they shock the world), the prudent move is to let JP grow and gain the respect of his teammates. If he can't do it after this year, get rid of him and move on.

As far as I am concerned, KH is the better QB, he gives us the better chance to win, and JP can continue to learn on the bench just as many other QBs have.

736129[/snapback]

JP is the starter?  It began with a few posters here, and it just gained momentum for no reason that I can figure.  Marv said from the very beginning, the guy that gives us the best chance to win will be the starting QB.  Anyone here that believes it is JP is delusional.

The players support KH, he's the leader, and I'm thinking there isn't much doubt he will be the starter.

All of this talk about his 'rubber' arm is exagerated.  Granted JP has the stronger arm, but KH can get it downfield just fine.  It may not be zipped in like JP can, but he still has a good enough arm to do it.  It's funny how a couple people around here start this, and then everyone else jumps on the bandwagon.

I've noticed the camp reports (from primarily JP supporters) have indicated the competition is close.  I'm wondering if there is some bias since there clearly is support for JP over KH around here.  Has KH in fact been ouplaying JP as per the media reports?

736129[/snapback]

Thanks for your insight, Eric. By the way. How are things in Houston?

I've noticed the camp reports (from primarily JP supporters) have indicated the competition is close.  I'm wondering if there is some bias since there clearly is support for JP over KH around here.  Has KH in fact been ouplaying JP as per the media reports?

736129[/snapback]

Oh yeah that Kelly Holcomb, boy he really gave us an awesome chance to win that last game against the Jets with his four interception day.

Kelly Holcomb sucks dude. JP gives us a much better chance to win this season.

nfw will kelly be our qb....jp will be the starter!...dont forget kelly signed here to be jp;s backup in the 1st place........jp hasnt even had a full season as the starter under his belt and people want to go with a "carreer backup"instead of him....jeez give the kid a chance to develop a fair chance.

I think all you have to do is look at our recievers to see who the starting quaterback will be. With all that speed and no em it will be jp.

I'm exited to watch our vertical passing attack, we will have quite a few big plays this year which will strech the field and help our running game.

I think having kh at qb really hurts the running game because there is really no deep threat.

I am definitely in the camp that sees JP as the likely starter. While it is clear that what Marv, Jauron and most important what Ralph aspires to is to win now while the Golden Boys are definitely alive, I think that it would be a mistale to conclude that this is the only factor which comes into this decision.

Ralph has a clear history from what I choose to deem his meddling with the professional (these are may semantics since as the owner he is entitled to meddle) with the QB position (his endorsement of RJ as the starter after his team ripped apart an Indy team that was already headed for the bus and his signoff on the TD decision to make less than are best effort at winning by plaing JP rather than Bledsoe) so salary matters and will be a factor in the final judgment. However, I think winning now id the priority.

That beind said, if the battle is close and there is no significant greater chance of getting Ws with KH at the helm (either because JP clearly sucks or because Holcomb is clearly good in pre-season games, I think the default will be JP starts.

However I am more convinced looking at our player acquisition (players with limitations but specific great talents), looking at what we are practicing, and listening to the limited pronouncemnts of the higher ups that we are going to be running an O that plays towards KH's strenghts and which JP will be quite challenged to not screw up alot while he is learning.

I think the key is that we are going to intall an O scheme, have acquired and our training our players to run an attack which emphasizes short accurate passes which pick up yards with runs after the catch and uses the RB extensively as a check down receiver abd running option to set up the pass. Basically, I think it will be our version of the Rams model. I think this approach actually can be even more effective than the traditional offense in the winter winds of the Ralph as it call upon shirt passes to complete plays designed to elcit yard gaining runs after ward.

To date the Bills have:

1. Acquired speedy recievers who shoould force opponents to play back due to fear they will run right by them and this shouild create separation for short passes or force opponents into zone coverage where our WRs will look for seams.

2. Ephasized FA acquisition to build the OL which assuming these players can build chenistry should actually get them off to a quick start until the nicks and injuries of a season of play slow them down. We will need to develop quality back-ups or have guys step up at this time.

3. Telegraphed heughtened usage of WM as a checkdown receiver and third dfown threat as he plays more of a Marshall Faulk role that uses him to run heavily but uses the run to set up the pass.

4. Emphasized using the TE and the FB as extra blockers for the run option rather than looking for or taining receiving threats.

In this model, the key for the QB is not gonna be the escapability, improvisation and athleticism a JP brings to the game after his days behind the porous Tulane OL. Instead, I think our QB is going to need to fo good reads to identify which of our speedy WRs is single covered and hit him with a quicl pass that either hits him while their is separation or the WR runs under a bomb thrown to a spot.

Our QB is going to need to exercise quick judgment to checkdown to a safety valve or go with the play. I think this style of game more fits the veteran KH than the young athletic (and sometimes skittish as young QBs can easiily be) JP.

The best thing for us would be if JP has learned enough lessons from his awful start as a pro from watching the O under Bledsoe and trying it himself last year that the game slows down enough for him to make quick judgments in his play.

It looks doubtful after a week of camp struggles by JP, but we can and reallu need to wait for the 1st game to see how this really plays out.

I think JP is the far better athlete and the result is in his hands, but I think it is more likely that KH will be more productive in this O and he will get the nod.

Ralph has a clear history from what I choose to deem his meddling with the professional (these are may semantics since as the owner he is entitled to meddle) with the QB position (his endorsement of RJ as the starter after his team ripped apart an Indy team that was already headed for the bus and his signoff on the TD decision to make less than are best effort at winning by plaing JP rather than Bledsoe) so salary matters and will be a factor in the final judgment.  However, I think winning now id the priority.

736219[/snapback]

I just dubbed the Titans play-off game from VHS to DVD, FWIW, Jim Kelly was working in the ESPN studio at the time... he stated on the Countdown before the game that he was dead-set against benching Flutie, that it was a horrible move... and that it was all Wade's decision, not Ralph's. Jimbo also ripped Andre a new one for his comments about not being appreciated & wanting to leave Buffalo. :doh:

As for KH starting Week 1, I won't like it, but I wouldn't be surprised at all. :(

1. Acquired speedy recievers who shoould force opponents to play back due to fear they will run right by them and this shouild create separation for short passes or force opponents into zone coverage where our WRs will look for seams.

I think JP is the far better athlete and the result is in his hands, but I think it is more likely that KH will be more productive in this O and he will get the nod.

736219[/snapback]

You're failing to take into account the fact that opposing defenses have already learned that Holcomb doesn't have the arm to beat them deep. Thus they will crowd the line to easily put a halt to our running game. KH will not be more productive in this offense because of his arm.

736129[/snapback]

Well, it's settled then! I hope the Bills sign Holcomb to a 8 year extension so we can solidify the QB position for the foreseeable future. :doh:

I am definitely in the camp that sees JP as the likely starter.

736219[/snapback]

Didn't you say, just two weeks ago, that you thought PFW wasn't making a very educated guess because they thought JP would be the starter? Now you're saying you're in the camp that sees JP as the likely starter?

This all may be true, but can someone explain why kelly holcomb is listed as the number 1 on the depth chart? And is also the first person to take reps in practice? Obviously the position is still up for grabs, but there isnt much to suggest that he won't be starting opening day.

I want JP to win the job but not unless hes hands down the best of the bunch.

This all may be true, but can someone explain why kelly holcomb is listed as the number 1 on the depth chart?  And is also the first person to take reps in practice?  Obviously the position is still up for grabs, but there isnt much to suggest that he won't be starting opening day.

I want JP to win the job but not unless hes hands down the best of the bunch.

736238[/snapback]

Easy. Holcomb ended last season #1 on the depth chart. He therefore goes into this season as #1 on the depth chart. They certainly don't want to just thrust JP or Nall into #1 on the depth chart before practices start, which would immediately question the "open competition" concept. And if any day they put JP #1 on the depth chart, suddenly they have to answer a barrage of questions from the press about does this mean JP has been named the starter? When they name Losman the starter, they will make him #1 on the depth chart the same day.

Didn't you say, just two weeks ago, that you thought PFW wasn't making a very educated guess because they thought JP would be the starter?  Now you're saying you're in the camp that sees JP as the likely starter?

736237[/snapback]

But there is a big difference between making an educate guess (which all do though often we tend to make uneducated guesses because none of us has perfect knowledge) and drawing a bunch of conclusions based upon these guesses.

The fault I find with PFW and many other pundits is that they offer up predicition which they oftern treat as drop-dead certainties or as obvious truths when like you and me they really are simply guess and often very uneducated guesses.

NFL games are interesting to me because it is really difficult to figure out what is going to happen next. The game is kept close enough by rule changes and application to make it unpredictably interesting. On top of all that the occurence of injury and the random stupidity of the refs adds an interesting degree of uncertainty.

The most interesting thing about the QB debate os that I think even Holcomb and JP would agree that JP is the far better athlete, can throw the ball farter and generally with more accuracy. He has an ability to scramble and improvise as he runs for his life that KH cannot match.

However, though JP is better than KH in most regards which can be measured, unless JP has really learned enough form his brief play and study to slow the game down, then KH will be a more productive QB for the Bills.

Fairchild seems to have done a good job with planning to put to use skills and information he likely has gained working for Martz and as Bills RB coach. We have acquired a number of tools with clear limitations but also clear strengths (a vet OL likely to break down over time with injuries, speedy WRs who are unproven or raise questions about them in the roles they need to fill for us, an RB with great talents but a lot of things he needs to do in terms of not having a second half like last year) that could conceivably make for a tremendous O.

Most important for this discussion, if a lot of things work right with the apparent paln, then the QB need not be great (by far JP is most likely of these three to be great) but do some good reads and be adequate to make this O productive. Ironically, the vet KH is most likely to meet this test.

736129[/snapback]

I don't believe the media, unless the reports are from legit journalists. The Buffalo media is more for entertainment than anything else.

Easy. Holcomb ended last season #1 on the depth chart. He therefore goes into this season as #1 on the depth chart. They certainly don't want to just thrust JP or Nall into #1 on the depth chart before practices start, which would immediately question the "open competition" concept. And if any day they put JP #1 on the depth chart, suddenly they have to answer a barrage of questions from the press about does this mean JP has been named the starter? When they name Losman the starter, they will make him #1 on the depth chart the same day.

736255[/snapback]

Yes, that's my instinct as well, but I'm not entirely convinced that it's a given that JP will start. I beileve he's better suited for this new offense that seems to be predicated on airing it out deep. I don't think holcomb's vulnerability is his weak arm. If his arm strength was so bad, he wouldn't even be considered a starting candidate at all. His major "flaw" in my eyes, is his cautious decision making. There is a time and a place to dink and dunk and play it safe, but there's also a time to take chances, and he seems far too hesitant. However, with that said, he's probably viewed as the "steadier" of the two QB's at this point, and because of this fact alone, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he began the year as the starter.

The problem is, even if Holcomb can lead the bills to a very productive season how many years can we get from him? I notice that everyone seems convinced that Holcomb can only lead the team to 8-8 at best, but there are so many more factors, of course with EMO gone, that raises another question as to KH productivity.

I think the thing we need to keep in mind is that Marv said this is a rebuilding year. If he had pulled a TD and said we were playoff bound then we might use KH, but even if KH is the better QB as of now, would there be any point in using him, if we are rebuilding for 2007?