All right, Leo!

From this lounge chair, Whitner is allowing ego or the greed-driven advice of his agents to get in the way.

Oakland strong safety Michael Huff, selected one spot ahead of Whitner, received $15 million in guarantees so he needs to get at least $14 million in guarantees. Whitner has leverage because the Bills need him. I get the gamesmanship involved.

But think about it.

Whitner was projected no higher than a mid-first round pick but the Bills did him a huge favor and took him No. 8.

With $13 million on the table, he has already more than doubled the $6 million cornerback Tye Hill received from the Rams at No. 15 and it's a lot more than the $7.35 million cornerback Antonio Cromartie is getting from the Chargers at No. 19. It's about $800,000 more than linebacker Ernie Sims shagged from the Lions at No. 9.

Face it. Whitner's already won the Lottery.

Isn't it time he started feeling appreciative? Isn't it time he blinks, puts away the Monopoly board in his Ohio State apartment, and starts work on his next big contract five years from now?

Sounds logical, but unfortunately, Whitner and his agent aren't looking at where he should have gone in the draft, but where he was selected. In reality, that is how they should be looking at it.

Sounds logical, but unfortunately, Whitner and his agent aren't looking at where he should have gone in the draft, but where he was selected.  In reality, that is how they should be looking at it.

734371[/snapback]

Which they are.

He's squabbling over 600,000.

Does it bother you the Bills are offering 700,000 in guaranteed money less than last year's #8 got? When the salary cap and rookie pool are bigger this year?

734378[/snapback]

No it doesn't. HE'S A ROOKIE. He hasn't played a down. Why should the Bills be held responsible if someone else over-pays?

No it doesn't. HE'S A ROOKIE. He hasn't played a down. Why should the Bills be held responsible if someone else over-pays?

734384[/snapback]

Give me a break, no player in football is going to take less money than what the guy in the same spot the year before him got. You'd be an idiot to do so.

Give me a break, no player in football is going to take less money than what the guy in the same spot the year before him got.  You'd be an idiot to do so.

734386[/snapback]

Which is EXACTLY what's wrong with the NFL.

Each crop of rookies makes more than the last with NO guarantee that any of them will be any good.

Does it bother you the Bills are offering 700,000 in guaranteed money less than last year's #8 got? When the salary cap and rookie pool are bigger this year?

734378[/snapback]

Not at all, it DOES bother me that we are subjected to this drivel. How much are Chris Berman and Stuart Scott making?

If they're 600,000 apart, that's chickensh**t money considering the total value of the contract. So I would expect that he'll be in camp fairly soon.

But then again, who really knows how far apart they are? Some sources

say 600, others say over a million.

Either way, I still think he'll sign. And we're not the only team dealing with agent squabbling, so I think after all the huffing and puffing, most if not all ofthe first round picks will get done within the next two weeks.

734378[/snapback]

Yes, I lie awake at night and worry. <_<

Seriously Kelly , the only thing I care about is the game. I control who I like and don't. I control the games I go to.

I have simply tired of getting worked up at all by management vs player salaries. It takes away from my enjoyment of the game.

I stopped worrying about player's contracts when Cookie Gilchrist held out. :w00t:

The Bills didn't do him a favor taking him higher than he was projected.  They picked him #8.  That's where they have to pay him.

734370[/snapback]

Then it shouldn't matter what position he plays...he's slotted and the average of the #7 and #9 contracts should be his "value."

He's getting very bad advice from his agent, IMO.

I stopped worrying about player's contracts when Cookie Gilchrist held out.  <_<

734526[/snapback]

I stopped after watching Bruce Smith hold out all the time, and worry that he needed to get the reps, and then watch him suddenly show up on game day and kick the crap out of people. Granted, he wasn't a rookie, but it got tiresome real fast. (Actually, what got tiresome was all the fans that panicked.)

Then it shouldn't matter what position he plays...he's slotted and the average of the #7 and #9 contracts should be his "value." 

734528[/snapback]

He's getting bad advice from his agent when the Bills are offering less than halfway between 7 and 9?

He's getting bad advice from his agent when the Bills are offering less than halfway between 7 and 9?

734532[/snapback]

He's getting bad advice by thinking he can force Marv's hand and go for the full $14MM. If they approached Marv and said $13mm and we'll sign, he'd be in Pittsford tomorrow.

734528[/snapback]

Isn't that the whole point of the whole discussion? Everything I've seen has the Bills offering LESS than what that number should be.

He's getting bad advice by thinking he can force Marv's hand and go for the full $14MM.  If they approached Marv and said $13mm and we'll sign, he'd be in Pittsford tomorrow.

734599[/snapback]

So he is supposed to just kowtow to the Bills and accept a lot closer to what the #9 drafted player got, and less than the #8 last year? If the numbers reported are correct, I simply don't see how you can side with the Bills on this. Both sides should split the difference. The team is seemingly offering less than the market value. I am not saying Whitner is right, but simply that neither side is the good guy in this. The Bills offer is the one on the table, however, and it is insufficient relative to what other guys signed for. Not to mention they said in public that they rated Whitner higher than Huff.