Pat Kirwans's Bills Preview

Dawgg

1) JP Losman

"When Losman came to talk with me, he came alone. When Holcomb came by, he was with Willis McGahee. Everything counts in this battle, and developing relationships with your teammates is always a factor."

As I said in a previous post, JP seems like a pretty cool guy -- but from all indications at camp, he really doesn't seem to have too many good friends on the team. When he was out that one night, he was witih McCargo and Fowler, two new guys... but just from my vantage point, he has not mingled much with other vets on the team. Thought it was interesting that Kirwan touched on that as well.

2) Willis McGahee

"McGahee can play, but I never get the feeling he embraces the concept of being a team leader of the Buffalo Bills. He reminds me more of a veteran free agent signed to play well but never part of the "family." There's nothing wrong with his style, but it's hard not to get the feeling he will finish his career somewhere else down the road."

I couldn't have said it better myself and hope that is not the case.

Thoughts on either or both???

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1) JP Losman

"When Losman came to talk with me, he came alone. When Holcomb came by, he was with Willis McGahee. Everything counts in this battle, and developing relationships with your teammates is always a factor."

As I said in a previous post, JP seems like a pretty cool guy -- but from all indications at camp, he really doesn't seem to have too many good friends on the team.  When he was out that one night, he was witih McCargo and Fowler, two new guys... but just from my vantage point, he has not mingled much with other vets on the team.  Thought it was interesting that Kirwan touched on that as well.

2) Willis McGahee

"McGahee can play, but I never get the feeling he embraces the concept of being a team leader of the Buffalo Bills. He reminds me more of a veteran free agent signed to play well but never part of the "family." There's nothing wrong with his style, but it's hard not to get the feeling he will finish his career somewhere else down the road."

733688[/snapback]

Yep..we all know that Willis wants to play in a BIG city..probably in California, Florida. He likes the limelight and attention.. NO WAY he stays here..but for his sake (financially) he better start producing some big time numbers.

It's all a matter of perspective...

Impressive that Losman has the self-confidence to go chat with someone by himself. What's with Holcomb bringing along McGahee, as if he was his wooby or binkie? Does Kelly let Willis bang his wife too? I mean, it's good to have friends on the team, but man-up and give your interviews solo you big pansy.

Oh noes! Willis is more introverted than extroverted! Someone get him in to Dale Carnegie 'How to Make Friends and Influence People' seminar immediately, before he mopes off to some other team!

Of course they aren't -- but the point is that if you watch the players before, after and during practice (as I have), JP just strikes me as one player who doesn't mingle much with the rest of the team when compared to other players. Perhaps it's overanalyzing, but when I read that, I found it interesting that he would point it out as well.

Cause I'm sure Holcomb and McGahee are mad tight.

733694[/snapback]

1) JP Losman

As I said in a previous post, JP seems like a pretty cool guy -- but from all indications at camp, he really doesn't seem to have too many good friends on the team.  When he was out that one night, he was witih McCargo and Fowler, two new guys... but just from my vantage point, he has not mingled much with other vets on the team.  Thought it was interesting that Kirwan touched on that as well.

2) Willis McGahee

733688[/snapback]

It really doesn't surprise me to read what he had to say about Willis. I too get the same feeling, that he just plays for a paycheck. I love the fact he's in a Bills uniform, and I think he's a stand-up guy. When I went to the Bills Packers preseason game last year, I saw Willis sign at least 20 autographs DURING the game, and even took a few pics with fans on the front row. But he just doesn't seem like a 'team player'. He kinda seems like he's content to get paid, and doesn't really care where he does it at.

What does trouble me is reading that JP STILL has not earned the respect of the players. I mean, it sounds to me like there's still plenty of players that would rather see Holcomb under center, and that really bothers me alot. I mean, what did JP do? I honestly believe that anyone who follows football, let alone the Buffalo Bills, knows that all Holcomb is is an adequate backup, at best.

Of course they aren't -- but the point is that if you watch the players before, after and during practice (as I have), JP just strikes me as one player who doesn't mingle much with the rest of the team when compared to other players.  Perhaps it's overanalyzing, but when I read that, I found it interesting that he would point it out as well.

733707[/snapback]

I actually liked the fact that JP was hanging out with his Center. I think thats a relationship that really needs building. Not the Running Back/Quarterback relationship.

Here's a thought. Maybe Holcomb is trying to be buddy-buddy so he can solidify the starting position, while on the otherhand, Losman is confident in his abilities and doesn't feel like he has to campaigne to win a starting position. Hanging out with MaGaMee doesn't really impress me anyways.

Hmmm, who would I rather have? An aging veteran who never really was a starting QB to speak of with a not-so-powerful arm? Or a exciting, young, mobile prospect (can I say veteran???) with a cannon for a arm? I might have to think about this one.

Of course they aren't -- but the point is that if you watch the players before, after and during practice (as I have), JP just strikes me as one player who doesn't mingle much with the rest of the team when compared to other players.  Perhaps it's overanalyzing, but when I read that, I found it interesting that he would point it out as well.

733707[/snapback]

Honestly I kind of think you're right. He seems to be closest with the younger players. I wouldn't blame him much if he wasn't too chummy with a lot of the veterans that sold him out last year. It was probably a really awkward year for him to interract with other players. He also kind of has a strange personality which probably doesn't translate with a lot of the jock types. Yoda comments spring to mind. Success on the field, which will only come with experience, will make all this kind of stuff even more irrelevant.

What does trouble me is reading that JP STILL has not earned the respect of the players.

733710[/snapback]

If you're basing that on what you read from Kirwan, you need to rethink your troubles. Read Kirwan's report on the Pats and you'll realize how titled the dude is.

That was never a question.

Hmmm, who would I rather have? An aging veteran who never really was a starting QB to speak of with a not-so-powerful arm? Or a exciting, young, mobile prospect (can I say veteran???) with a cannon for a arm? I might have to think about this one.

733723[/snapback]

Kirwan, please.  If Holcomb had brought anyone ELSE (McGahee is kind of a pariah on the team as well), this story MIGHT have the BEGINNINGS of some legs.  But I guess Kirwan had nothing else to say.

733736[/snapback]

Yeah innuendo is not journalism.

Here's a thought. Maybe Holcomb is trying to be buddy-buddy so he can solidify the starting position, while on the otherhand, Losman is confident in his abilities and doesn't feel like he has to campaigne to win a starting position. Hanging out with MaGaMee doesn't really impress me anyways.

733723[/snapback]

This is where teams start splitting loyalty causing friction....The kind we saw

between Doug and Rob.....Another interesting snippet from the same article

that the original poster missed, and I am concerned about is:

The players I spoke with, especially from the defensive side of the ball, feel Holcomb gives them the best chance to win, but they do recognize Losman is better this season

If the coach does pick JP over KH, I hope all these veteran players come out

and give their full support to JP and work to make this team better.....Otherwise

we are going to see a divided locker room again.....

Just adhere to this rule:

If (name of writer here) writes something showing the Bills in a negative light of any kind, (name of writer here) sucks, is biased, and doesn't know what they're talking about.

733749[/snapback]

The reality is, a local writer like Sullivan needs to say things we don't agree with, otherwise we ultimately stop paying attention to him.

I used to work for a company owned and operated by three brothers, and they used to argue and disagree all the time. It bothered me to an extent, until one of the brothers told me a very simple truth: if the three of us agreed on everything, there would be no need for two of us.

If u listened to the interviews on sirius yesterday, one thing stuck out that still bothers me. When they were finishing up with holcomb and willis, kirwin said, "OK, thanks Kelly....now go win that starting job" then there was a pause, and then Kirwin says "PLEASE win that job". Those are the last words b4 the commercial starts.

What the F was that? He's obviously biased ok....but "PLEASE win that job"? What could the underlying meaning of this be? Could some of the former +/- current players really dissed JP to Kirwin off the air? That has stuck in my craw for the last 24 hrs. I don't like it one bit.

The players I spoke with, especially from the defensive side of the ball, feel Holcomb gives them the best chance to win, but they do recognize Losman is better this season

He's talking about Troy Vincent. Troy made references to last year that kelly was more ready and more comfortable, which is real important for a QB. From the vets perspective, Troy said WE HAVE TO WIN NOW...players and coaches in this league are losing jobs because their team doesn't win. Vincent did say JP is a year more experienced and looking better so far this camp. He didn't come right out and say it, but vincent did leave the impression that he favored holcomb...at least last year, with more of a question mark this year.