John Denver......

The Poojer

what are peoples thoughts about him? I saw a special on PBS last nite and realized how entertaining he really was. A great story teller and a great singer, maybe on the sappy side, but he was pretty darned good...what do some of y'all think about him?

what are peoples thoughts about him?  I saw a special on PBS last nite and realized how entertaining he really was.  A great story teller and a great singer, maybe on the sappy side, but he was pretty darned good...what do some of y'all think about him?

732621[/snapback]

I think you two fags should get a room. :D

J/K

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy

Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry

Sunshine on the water looks so lovely

Sunshine almost always makes me high

If I had a day that I could give you

Id give to you a day just like today

If I had a song that I could sing for you

Id sing a song to make you feel this way

If I had a tale that I could tell you

Id tell a tale sure to make you smile

If I had a wish that I could wish for you

Id make a wish for sunshine all the while

Sunshine almost all the time makes me high

what are peoples thoughts about him?  I saw a special on PBS last nite and realized how entertaining he really was.  A great story teller and a great singer, maybe on the sappy side, but he was pretty darned good...what do some of y'all think about him?

732621[/snapback]

I always like Annie's Song.

Can a brother get a hug?

Not a very good pilot! :D

732648[/snapback]

Or a very good driver. Apparently he went off the road in the exact same place in Aspen and hit the exact same tree multiple times. I believe alcohol was involved each time.

When I was in second grade, he was at the peak of his fame...he had some network variety specials (remember those- Starland Vocal Band had one for chrissake!). I really liked him, for whatever reason kids like certain things. For my birthday, I got my first, 12-inch vinyl album, from my sister, "Back Home Again" by John Denver.

Fast forward, about 15 years later (1989), and I am working at Tower Records in Manhatten. We get an employee discount on stereo equipment from Denon...I order my very first cd player ever. It is a Friday afternoon when it arrives...I am stoked, thinking of all the great cd's I am going to buy...what will be my "first cd" ever? I decide on "Hootenany" by the Replacements, and "Let It Bleed" by the Rolling Stones. As I am milling around the store, making sure I want those to be my first cd selections ever, I look up, and see John Denver flipping through cds. In the fifteen years that had passed, he had become sort of a joke...but I always liked the guy when I was a kid...I immediately head over to the "D" section, and pull out the cd of "Back Home Again" by Denver. I go over and shake his hand, and explain to him my whole situation..."Back Home Again" was the first vinyl LP I had ever owned, and now, I was going to make it the first CD I ever owned...Denver just smiled, and said "Far out!" It was pretty cool...he autographed the CD for me...just "Dennis, Peace- John Denver"....he was in town, to appear on the Peoples' Choice Awards, if I recall correctly.

I still have the CD and the LP...I can't even recall if I ever actually listened to the cd, but you got me thinking about it...it couldn't be any worse than Steely Dan, right?

that story is way cool!!!!

When I was in second grade, he was at the peak of his fame...he had some network variety specials (remember those- Starland Vocal Band had one for chrissake!).  I really liked him, for whatever reason kids like certain things.  For my birthday, I got my first, 12-inch vinyl album, from my sister, "Back Home Again" by John Denver.

Fast forward, about 15 years later (1989), and I am working at Tower Records in Manhatten.  We get an employee discount on stereo equipment from Denon...I order my very first cd player ever.  It is a Friday afternoon when it arrives...I am stoked, thinking of all the great cd's I am going to buy...what will be my "first cd" ever?  I decide on "Hootenany" by the Replacements, and "Let It Bleed" by the Rolling Stones.  As I am milling around the store, making sure I want those to be my first cd selections ever, I look up, and see John Denver flipping through cds.  In the fifteen years that had passed, he had become sort of a joke...but I always liked the guy when I was a kid...I immediately head over to the "D" section, and pull out the cd of "Back Home Again" by Denver.  I go over and shake his hand, and explain to him my whole situation..."Back Home Again" was the first vinyl LP I had ever owned, and now, I was going to make it the first CD I ever owned...Denver just smiled, and said "Far out!"  It was pretty cool...he autographed the CD for me...just "Dennis, Peace- John Denver"....he was in town, to appear on the Peoples' Choice Awards, if I recall correctly.

I still have the CD and the LP...I can't even recall if I ever actually listened to the cd, but you got me thinking about it...it couldn't be any worse than Steely Dan, right?

732702[/snapback]

I am stoked, thinking of all the great cd's I am going to buy...what will be my "first cd" ever?

732702[/snapback]

Funny. I remember when I got my first CD player and picking the very first CD was something I gave a considerable amount of thought to as well. I went with John Hiatt's "Warming Up To The Ice Age."

I'm fairly certain I'm the only person who can make that claim. :D

Harry: I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.

Lloyd: I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of schit, man.

732707[/snapback]

damn it... good thing i read through the post before replying. that was my thunder.

Ah, Aspen, Colorado... Where the beer flows like wine.

Funny. I remember when I got my first CD player and picking the very first CD was something I gave a considerable amount of thought to as well. I went with John Hiatt's "Warming Up To The Ice Age."

I'm fairly certain I'm the only person who can make that claim. :D

732712[/snapback]

I'm a big John Hiatt fan - he was in an alcoholic haze when he did that record - he dried out after that and his career really took off.

BTW, he is at the Infinity in Williamsville on Monday - I can't make it seeing that I live 220 miles away. :lol:

732702[/snapback]

This thread needs crayonz. If only he wasn't locked up in a padded cell again. :D