Kelly Holcomb rated 15th best backup QB

In the latest edition of Pro Football Weekly, they rate the backup QBs. Kelly Holcomb was rated 15th BACKUP.

For the record, in order, these are the guys rated above our noodle armed QB: Griese, Schaub, Frerotte, Garrard, Garcia, J. McCown, Harrington, Boller, Fiedler, Dilfer, Ramsey, Feeley, Wright, Batch.

Being rated worse than Joey Harrington is pretty bad.

I think it shows the intellect that Pro Football Weekly brings to the table in that Holcomb:

1. Finished the season as the starting QB for the Bills.

2. Is listed as the starter on the Bills deoth chart.

One can rag on him or the Bills all you want but I at least expect some accuracy from an alleged football journal. They should be telling us why Losman is the #32, # 15 or whatever ranking they give him as a back-up rather than making an editorial judgment that not even the Bills temselves are capable of making at this point of choosing who is the starting QB or who is the back-up on this team.

Gee that's sad. PFW believe that half the leagues backups are better than our potential starter.

That mag has really gone downhill.

Do you realize they do not even list Peters on their up & comers OT list.

...also....one of the 3 clubs they predict as performing better/worse by more than 2 games over last season is the Giants. From memory...down 6 wins from 11 to 5. :) I hate the Giants but, huh???? Did something happen to them that I am unaware of in the off-season? I figure they had predicted too many teams at plus 1 or 2 & not enough at minus 1 or 2 & the Giants were the last one on the list.

I dont see what the problem is really. A. J Feely is the only one on that list I would question. Anthony Wright, Kyle Boller, Joey Harrington, and Patrick Ramsey have all had just as many solid games as Holcomb...and have all shown the same inconsistency he has.

Me, if I had 1 game to win....i would take Holcomb over A.J Feely and Charlie Batch. Other than that, I agree with the magazines opinion.

Gee that's sad.  PFW believe that half the leagues backups are better than our potential starter.

Do you realize they do not even list Peters on their up & comers OT list.

...also....one of the 3 clubs they predict as performing better/worse by more than 2 games over last season is the Giants.  From memory...down 6 wins from 11 to 5. :)  I hate the Giants but, huh????  Did something happen to them that I am unaware of in the off-season?  I figure they had predicted too many teams at plus 1 or 2 & not enough at minus 1 or 2 & the Giants were the last one on the list.

729727[/snapback]

Strife between Burress and Manning, Strahan is another year older, and arguably everyone in the division got better. I don't think they'll do worse than 7-8 wins, but I could see their side.

I dont see what the problem is really.  A. J Feely is the only one on that list I would question. Anthony Wright, Kyle Boller, Joey Harrington, and Patrick Ramsey have all had just as many solid games as Holcomb...and have all shown the same inconsistency he has.

Me, if I had 1 game to win....i would take Holcomb over A.J Feely and Charlie Batch. Other than that, I agree with the magazines opinion.

729751[/snapback]

Harrington and Boller don't have inconsistency problems - they've consistently stunk their whole careers. I'll take Holcomb's mediocrity over them any day.

Gee that's sad.  PFW believe that half the leagues backups are better than our potential starter.

729727[/snapback]

This is surprising to you? Watch some tape of last year's team again to remind yourself of how badly we sucked. Now, that doesn't mean things can't get turned around, but these guys are going on history.

I think it shows the intellect that Pro Football Weekly brings to the table in that Holcomb:

1. Finished the season as the starting QB for the Bills.

2. Is listed as the starter on the Bills deoth chart.

One can rag on him or the Bills all you want but I at least expect some accuracy from an alleged football journal.  They should be telling us why Losman is the #32, # 15 or whatever ranking they give him as a back-up rather than making an editorial judgment that not even the Bills temselves are capable of making at this point of choosing who is the starting QB or who is the back-up on this team.

729717[/snapback]

Yes, how dare PFW make an educated guess on who wins the QB competition since Holcomb is obviously entrenched as the starter. :)

Yes, how dare PFW make an educated guess on who wins the QB competition since Holcomb is obviously entrenched as the starter.  :)

729840[/snapback]

It does not sound very educated to me but that seems to be par for the course with PFW.

It does not sound very educated to me but that seems to be par for the course with PFW.

729856[/snapback]

You're missing the point. Nobody is entrenched at QB and from all counts it looks like Losman and Holcomb are in a tight race for the spot. So how is it not educated to pick one of those guys and relegate the other to backup? Simply because they chose Losman and you don't think that's going to happen? Because the webpage arbitrarily lists one of them as the starter…when we all know there isn’t one? For the purposes of the article that had to select somebody and given that it's an open completion there's not a solid argument you can make against anybody they chose to relegate to backup duty.

In the latest edition of Pro Football Weekly, they rate the backup QBs. Kelly Holcomb was rated 15th BACKUP.

For the record, in order, these are the guys rated above our noodle armed QB: Griese, Schaub, Frerotte, Garrard, Garcia, J. McCown, Harrington, Boller, Fiedler, Dilfer, Ramsey, Feeley, Wright, Batch.

Being rated worse than Joey Harrington is pretty bad.

729707[/snapback]

I don't understand why people seem to hate Holcomb. Yes, it is better long term for the franchise if Losman is the starter. But KH is a solid NFL QB like it or not. That list honestly sucks. I'll give maybe the first 4 and Dilfer should be rated higher (though I believe KH beat Frerotte head to head last year), but what have the rest proven constantly? I'm sure if you asked the fans of most of those teams that who feel better if KH was their backup. Honestly, this Holcomb bashing is retarded. :)

I don't understand why people seem to hate Holcomb.  Yes, it is better long term for the franchise if Losman is the starter.  But KH is a solid NFL QB like it or not.  That list honestly sucks.  I'll give maybe the first 4 and Dilfer should be rated higher (though I believe KH beat Frerotte head to head last year), but what have the rest proven constantly?   I'm sure if you asked the fans of most of those teams that who feel better if KH was their backup.  Honestly, this Holcomb bashing is retarded.   :P

729918[/snapback]

But but but but....4th&7. God knows those who have seen Harrington/Boller play every game of a season can't single out one bad decision. :)

If you want to see a gutless QB decision on a 4th down play with the game on the line, watch the last two minutes of the Patriots-Jets Monday night game in 2000.

But but but but....4th&7.  God knows those who have seen Harrington/Boller play every game of a season can't single out one bad decision.  :)

729925[/snapback]

Yes, that's the only mistake Holcomb made all year. At no other time did he check down when he shouldn't have. Other than that one play he was consistently making throws down the field; be they 15 yard outs, 10 yard slants or long throws to Evans. :P

Holcomb's decision making is terrible. He's the exact opposite of Drew Bledsoe (but not in a good way). Where as Drew would hold onto the ball forever hoping something developed down field Holcomb dumps the ball off on a short route at the first opportunity. At some point I hope we can get a QB in there that can make the deep throw when there's ample protection or dump the ball off when there's not.

Holcomb's decision making is terrible.  He's the exact opposite of Drew Bledsoe (but not in a good way).  Where as Drew would hold onto the ball forever hoping something developed down field Holcomb dumps the ball off on a short route at the first opportunity. 

729935[/snapback]

If you want to see a gutless QB decision on a 4th down play with the game on the line, watch the last two minutes of the Patriots-Jets Monday night game in 2000.

729925[/snapback]

I don't recall that game in particular, what happened exactly?