TV PROVIDER CHANGE.....

sven233

Well, first off, let me say that this is not my choice. In fact, I wish I didn't have to have either of these and could get DirecTV. However, I am in an apartment complex and all I could get was Adelphia. We have had it for the last 2 years or so.

However, I got a notice in the mail today that Time Warner is taking over Adelphia in Western, NY. I am sure I won't be the only one affected by the change. But, the real reason I am writing is that I have heard many people not only on his board, but others as well, complain about Time Warner and its programming.

Obviously this worries me a great deal as I really don't have a choice in this matter. Out of curiosity, I checked out the Time Warner channel listing for Rochester and although I noticed that most channels are still the same, I noticed 1 BIG channel missing...........THE NFL NETWORK!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope this is not true and we will be getting this station!!! I mean, live games are going to be on this network this year and I don't want to miss them!!!!!!

Can somebody please help me out here? Is NFL Network on Time Warner? If not, will it be there by football season???? I don't mean to seem like I am going crazy here, but they better not be taking away my football!

Can someone please help me with this?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't have the NFL Network yet. All TW customer service will say is that they are negotiating. TW customer service is actually very good and very helpful.

TW HD programming sux. We just got CBS, and the ABC and WXXI HD feeds are very weak, we also don't have ESPN2 HD.

We don't have the NFL Network yet. All TW customer service will say is that they are negotiating. TW customer service is actually very good and very helpful.

TW HD programming sux. We just got CBS, and the ABC and WXXI HD feeds are very weak, we also don't have ESPN2 HD.

729431[/snapback]

I've been pleased with their service.

I'd mention that the DVR they supply, a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000, has given a few problems. It goes through episodes of needing a re-boot. Perhaps 2 or 3 times a month. And when it fails and needs the re-boot, I was told to unplug it for 15 minutes or so for "best results". And that's so.

Given that, it's an easy-to-use device. I don't have HD.

I'd mention that the DVR they supply, a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000, has given a few problems. It goes through episodes of needing a re-boot. Perhaps 2 or 3 times a month. And when it fails and needs the re-boot, I was told to unplug it for 15 minutes or so for "best results". And that's so.

729449[/snapback]

I have the same model and the same problems. In addition, I had one unit fail completely which needed replacement and of course at that point lost everything I had recorded. :lol:

729449[/snapback]

I have had the same problem with my SA 8000. Not really much you can do about it.

I looked at switching to DirecTV, but if you want 5 rooms and an HD DVR it costs way too much. I cannot complain too much about TW. What they lack in programming and high pricing they make up for with great customer service.

I've got TW in Albany.

Customer svc is great, surprisingly. There are occasional glitches in the signal & since it's usually multiple channels, I would assume that it's TW's problem, not networks.

They actually have a pretty decent line-up of HD channels here; better than Directv.

The one thing that is/was annoying is that until fairly recently my 'digital cable' consisted of many analog feeds, which my spiffy new HD Plasma doesn't handle so well.

I switched from Directv to TW last fall after getting a new HD TV & not wanting to fork out like $500 for a HD DVR rcvr.

Yes, I miss my Sunday Ticket, but I was never too found of the NFL Network. Maybe this year it'll be more necessary to have, in which case I'll likely go w/ Dish, primarily due to more HD channels.

As for cable being your only alternative, we've had this discussion b4. If you have a balcony &/or porch, I believe you are legally able to have a small satellite dish (i.e. management can't prohibit you putting one up on 'your' property). Whether or not

you can 'see' the signal is another issue.

I looked at switching to DirecTV, but if you want 5 rooms and an HD DVR it costs way too much. I cannot complain too much about TW. What they lack in programming and high pricing they make up for with great customer service.

729457[/snapback]

I've had DIRECTV since their 1st year and Nov '94 when they added the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Ever since you could start using an S-Video cable to hook up from the receiver to the TV and get that digital picture, I was hooked. It's like experiencing 1st class and you don't ever wanna go back to coach.

For that reason alone, I have 4 receivers plus the DVR (TIVO), but yes, it cost an extra $5 per box. They must love me, I got 2 on the big screen in the living room, 1 in my den, and 1 in the bedroom. Cable TV's digital isn't the same quality and not all their channels are digital. If I don't spend the money on it I'll just spend it somewhere else, so what's the difference I say.

Also pertaining to the NFL Network, I barely even watch it. There's so much of an overdose of football in this day & age, I can only take so much of it. Althought during our Super Bowl years we were so damn good I just couldn't get enough of ESPN Sportscenter & Prime Time just to see our highlights and see what they'd say about the BILLS. Now, it's just not the same.

What I miss with a major passion is EMPIRE SPORTS NETWORK. :lol:

Who's with me on that one ?

Gawd how I wish a regional sports network for Western New York would come back !!! I used to love watching FAN TV.

:P

What I miss with a major passion is EMPIRE SPORTS NETWORK.

Ah yes, The Entirely Sabres Network.

Seriously, for Bills news it certainly was better than any other outlet available here. (Although it probably was no better than the Buffalo locals or maybe even Rochester's.)

I live in the Albany area, also. TW frustrates me sometimes with their minimal communication to customers, but the service overall is pretty solid.

They've been saying for months that they're negotiating to get the NFL Network, but I haven't seen much proof that they'll get it soon.

Out of curiosity, I checked out the Time Warner channel listing for Rochester and although I noticed that most channels are still the same, I noticed 1 BIG channel missing...........THE NFL NETWORK!!!!!!!!!!!! 

729422[/snapback]

Welcome to my world. I hope TWC feels the extra heat now and finally picks it up.

I also hope this helps Time Warner feel some pressure to get a deal done for the NFL Network. I live on the border of Clarence & Akron and I'm one of the few in Erie County who's always had Time Warner, living litterally a mile past Adelphia's reign.

Going back a few years TW actually was always better with channel selection vs. Adelphia, getting the newest channels before Adelphia did. That's changed now to the point where Time Warner has been slacking off.

BTW, Time Warner does not carry the Canadian channels either. They don't have a contract with them. Not sure how that will effect the Adelphia region switching over. Perhaps no more CBC hockey coverage?

Time Warner is the largest cable provider, to not carry the NFL Network...I have heard, from a friend who works there, they would like to carry the NFL Network, but won't pay the large NFL fee, until the NFL dis-continues their exclusive NFL Ticket agreement with Direct TV, which I think still has another 3 years...don't hold your breath...my only hope is that once the NFL Network starts carrying actaul regular season games, the clamoring will be so strong on Time Warner, they will buckle. I would pay extra for it, and have let them know, I think many would...email Time Warner to voice your displeasure!

Time Warner is the largest cable provider, to not carry the NFL Network...I have heard, from a friend who works there, they would like to carry the NFL Network, but won't pay the large NFL fee, until the NFL dis-continues their exclusive NFL Ticket agreement with Direct TV, which I think still has another 3 years...don't hold your breath...my only hope is that once the NFL Network starts carrying actaul regular season games, the clamoring will be so strong on Time Warner, they will buckle.  I would pay extra for it, and have let them know, I think many would...email Time Warner to voice your displeasure!

729577[/snapback]

I've gotten an offer from Verizon to get their bundle package (FIOS/Phone/DTV) and will be calling TW this week to see what the status is on NFL Network. If they say nothing in the immediate future, I'll be switching. Sorry Cablelady. :)

I've gotten an offer from Verizon to get their bundle package (FIOS/Phone/DTV) and will be calling TW this week to see what the status is on NFL Network. If they say nothing in the immediate future, I'll be switching. Sorry Cablelady.  :)

729657[/snapback]

Come on, you should've switched weeks ago! I want to hear your experience with FIOS! If I could get it here, I would (paying $65/mo for broadband through Comcast. Ripoff).

As others have said, you CAN get DirecTV if you have a porch/patio/driveway.

CW

I also hope this helps Time Warner feel some pressure to get a deal done for the NFL Network. I live on the border of Clarence & Akron and I'm one of the few in Erie County who's always had Time Warner, living litterally a mile past Adelphia's reign.

Going back a few years TW actually was always better with channel selection vs. Adelphia, getting the newest channels before Adelphia did. That's changed now to the point where Time Warner has been slacking off.

BTW, Time Warner does not carry the Canadian channels either. They don't have a contract with them. Not sure how that will effect the Adelphia region switching over. Perhaps no more CBC hockey coverage?

729567[/snapback]

I would guess that a municipality such as Buffalo which contracts with Adelphia to be the sole provider of cable service to the City should be guaranteed by contract to be provided the same service by a new cable operator such TW or has the ability to reopen their contract to new bidders.

If this is the case officials in Buffalo should have some ability to plead/force the new cable company to provide services like access to Canadian channels and various Bills coverage. I also wonder if Adelphia/TW annonced some date for the switch. We would seem to be close enough to football season that I would not be surprised if a switch in channel provision and the switch over to new customer service regimes and decisions about which empoyees and operation sites to keep or let go takes a few months to iron out before change is rained upon us measly viewers. TW woild certainly be cruising for a maximum bruising and create a moment for greatest political leverage to try to make switches in the midst of the football season.

TW is worse than Adelphia? Crap. That's hard to believe. People had to protest in droves to get Adelphia to carry the YES Network a few years ago. Adelphia would not carry the new SportsNet NY this year. They threw us a bone with the NFL Network when Empire died. I have had Canadian Channels- CBC & CTV since I have had cable (since the mid 1970's). So, just because Adelphia is finally gone, I lose the NFL Network & CBC? Someone explain to me why I do not have DirecTV yet?

I appreciate the information guys. But, it sounds as though I am going to be screwed in all of this, though. I would love to get DirecTV and even though I understand it is legal in some circumstances, all of my apartment is facing NORTH!!! There is no way I can get a view of the southern sky like DirecTV needs. So, that is out.

Also, on the letter I was sent from Time Warner about the switch, it says that although most programming will remain the same, some stations may have to be moved or removed based on agreements, or lack there of, of current networks. So, to me, this means that once Time Warner takes over, there goes my LIVE FOOTBALL GAMES ON NFL NETWORK! I know the station is repetative and is not the best overall, but they will have LIVE football this year and exclusive games! I just don't want to lose that and I think it will be crap if I can't get to see them because of something I have no control or choice over.

Plain crap.