TV PROVIDER CHANGE.....

sven233

Chances are if the NFL Network is carried by Adelphia now, it will still be on the system once the acquisition is complete.

729705[/snapback]

I wouldn't be so sure about that, this is the cold heartless Time Warner we're talking about and I've heard from people in other markets that they have pulled channels before when taking over a new region. Whether that happens in Buffalo remains to be seen.

On a more positive note for you baseball fans, TW does carry both YES and SportsNet NY on it's basic digital tier without having to buy the extra sports tier. OLN has also always been on the TW basic tier, which was nice while watching the Sabres run. At least Adelphia wised up on that one. Now let us hope Time Warner does the same with the NFL Network!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any word on what happens if you have Adelphia Powerlink?

729741[/snapback]

Yes......they said in the same letter that it will gradually change to Roadrunner Service. They did say that we shouldn't have to do anyhting with that though.......should change automatically. Just hope it is good.

I agree with the crowd who want to bring Empire back. That poor network never had a chance that year with the Rigas' imploding and the NHL lock-out. Now that the NHL is playing, the Bills, multiple good college teams in the area for basketball they should have ample programming available. It would not be a huge money maker but would likely turn a decent profit. Back when Flutie and Flutie Flakes were taking off that network was in its prime. That was also around the same time the Sabres went to the Stanley Cup finals. I would love to have a regional sports network back. It's probably the biggest area in the country without a regional sports network now (Buff/NF, Rochester, Syracuse).

We don't have the NFL Network yet. All TW customer service will say is that they are negotiating. TW customer service is actually very good and very helpful.

729431[/snapback]

I watch TV so infrequently. But this could be a deal killer for me to keep cable when the switch to TW occurs.

I do not remember receiving a letter  :)

729914[/snapback]

I just got it in the mail yesterday. Who knows, maybe TW won't be taking over all areas, but I got the notice they are moving in here. Guess we will just have to wait and see how this all shakes out!

IMO Roadrunner is slightly better than Powerlink from my experiences, seems a tad bit faster with less "issues". So those of you with Powerlink, don't worry when it comes to the internet side of things, as you won't experience a drop off when the switch occurs.

But if you're addicted to those Canadian channels, that could be dicey. The company that served my area (Clarence/Akron border) before Time Warner bought them out did carry Canadian channels in the early 90's (maybe '93?). When Time Warner took control they decided to not renew the contracts, saying goodbye to our friendly Canadian tv shows.

TW is worse than Adelphia? Crap. That's hard to believe. People had to protest in droves to get Adelphia to carry the YES Network a few years ago. Adelphia would not carry the new SportsNet NY this year. They threw us a bone with the NFL Network when Empire died. I have had Canadian Channels- CBC & CTV since I have had cable (since the mid 1970's).

So, just because Adelphia is finally gone, I lose the NFL Network & CBC? Someone explain to me why I do not have DirecTV yet?

729710[/snapback]

If you get DIRECTV you'll get the NFL Network as I'm sure you know, but you WON'T get CBC. Some of their hockey games are included in the NHL Centre Ice Package, but you won't get the network as a whole.

I agree with the crowd who want to bring Empire back.  That poor network never had a chance that year with the Rigas' imploding and the NHL lock-out.  Now that the NHL is playing, the Bills, multiple good college teams in the area for basketball they should have ample programming available.  It would not be a huge money maker but would likely turn a decent profit.  Back when Flutie and Flutie Flakes were taking off that network was in its prime.  That was also around the same time the Sabres went to the Stanley Cup finals.  I would love to have a regional sports network back.  It's probably the biggest area in the country without a regional sports network now (Buff/NF, Rochester, Syracuse).

729836[/snapback]

We definitely need a regional network back for Western NY, and move the SABRES games back to it. How ridiculous it is for a BUFFALO hockey team to be on a NY City TV Network (MSG2), it makes us look so small-time.

The SABRES fans outside of the BUFFALO area who have the NHL Centre Ice Package can only sometimes get the coverage from the SABRES provided by MSG and Rick Jeanerette calling the game. Some games yes, and many others the coverage is coming from the opponents TV broadcast & coverage. Meaning we don't get the SABRES pregame & postgame shows. Which means no Hockey Hotline.

I used to like the coverage EMPIRE had upon conclusion of the BILLS games. The locker room interviews and the coaches addressing the media.

Perhaps it's being worked on behind the scenes and we're not aware of it, but somehow being BUFFALO I just doubt it.

Bring back FAN TV and that theme song for it !!!!

;)

Chances are if the NFL Network is carried by Adelphia now, it will still be on the system once the acquisition is complete.

729705[/snapback]

Talked to an adelphia rep while he was resetting my HD box a few months ago and asked about the NFL network. He seemed to think that the contract was tied to the local franchise and that if I had it now it would remain. This makes some sense since if you review the adelphia line-ups by area the offering vary. [ Plus it gives me some hope. ;) ] Hope it's along term deal.

BTW in my area the digital version of the NFL network is offered along with the analog but no HD. Anyone seen it on cable in HD?

If you get DIRECTV you'll get the NFL Network as I'm sure you know, but you WON'T get CBC. Some of their hockey games are included in the NHL Centre Ice Package, but you won't get the network as a whole.

We definitely need a regional network back for Western NY, and move the SABRES games back to it. How ridiculous it is for a BUFFALO hockey team to be on a NY City  TV Network (MSG2), it makes us look so small-time.

The SABRES fans outside of the BUFFALO area who have the NHL Centre Ice Package can only sometimes get the coverage from the SABRES provided by MSG and Rick Jeanerette calling the game. Some games yes, and many others the coverage is coming from the opponents TV broadcast & coverage. Meaning we don't get the SABRES pregame & postgame shows. Which means no Hockey Hotline.

I used to like the coverage EMPIRE had upon conclusion of the BILLS games. The locker room interviews and the coaches addressing the media.

Perhaps it's being worked on behind the scenes and we're not aware of it, but somehow being BUFFALO I just doubt it.

Bring back FAN TV and that theme song for it !!!!

;)

730362[/snapback]

I agree,we need the Empire Sports Network back,or something similar that focuses on Buffalo Sports Teams.Msg calling the Sabres game is quite the joke and Sylvestor has to go.I have Direct tv also and at the start of last year we didnt even have MSG,to watch Sabres games.Public outcry put the screws to Directtv and they got the Sabres games up and running.I also had Sunday Ticket last season,and the quality of it fell thru the floor for the regular package.I was watching one Miami game (i think when the Bills quit in San Diego) and it looked as if a tourist was filming it with his camcorder.See Direct tv wants you to buy the upgraded package for another 100 bucks,and the cost of the Ticket totalling around 360-380 per season.I can get season tixs for a little more than that .Sunday Ticket is nice but the quality has gotten terrible if you dont get the hd package ;)

Well, first off, let me say that this is not my choice.  In fact, I wish I didn't have to have either of these and could get DirecTV.  However, I am in an apartment complex and all I could get was Adelphia.  We have had it for the last 2 years or so.

However, I got a notice in the mail today that Time Warner is taking over Adelphia in Western, NY.  I am sure I won't be the only one affected by the change.  But, the real reason I am writing is that I have heard many people not only on his board, but others as well, complain about Time Warner and its programming.

Obviously this worries me a great deal as I really don't have a choice in this matter.  Out of curiosity, I checked out the Time Warner channel listing for Rochester and although I noticed that most channels are still the same, I noticed 1 BIG channel missing...........THE NFL NETWORK!!!!!!!!!!!!  I hope this is not true and we will be getting this station!!!  I mean, live games are going to be on this network this year and I don't want to miss them!!!!!! 

Can somebody please help me out here?  Is NFL Network on Time Warner?  If not, will it be there by football season????  I don't mean to seem like I am going crazy here, but they better not be taking away my football! 

Can someone please help me with this?

729422[/snapback]

In case it hasn't been stated already (I didn't read through all 30+ posts): At least Comcast didn't get your area (or mine). That would be worse.

Oi Sven, this article I've posted below is fresh off the sports wire pertaining to your very subject about the NFL Network appearing on Cable TV outlets such as Time Warner.

NFL pushes NFL Network on cable operators

Posted 7/27/2006 11:06 PM ET

By Michael McCarthy, USA TODAY

The NFL is preparing to launch a $100 million attack ad campaign over the next six months in an attempt to force cable TV operators to carry its NFL Network

channel, which will begin airing regular-season games in November.

If the cable providers don't sign up, the NFL will urge consumers to switch to satellite TV operators that carry the channel, NFL Network spokesman Seth Palansky says.

McCARTHY: More on the NFL ad campaign

The 2½-year-old channel also has basic cable and/or digital distribution deals with at least 75 cable operators, including Comcast, the nation's top cable provider, and reaches 41 million homes. With the NFL Network airing regular-season games beginning Thanksgiving night, the league thinks it has the leverage to force its way into 25 million more homes this season. The TV, radio, print and magazine ads, which will target cable operators by name, could begin as early as next week, Palansky says.

"We think it's asinine that Time Warner (the nation's No. 2 cable provider) carries 12 shopping channels and 50 other channels you don't want — but can't find room for one dedicated to the most popular sport in this country," Palansky says. "We're replacing the kid gloves with bare knuckles."

One ad aimed at Time Warner says, "Don't let Time Warner ruin your football season. You'll miss NFL games if you don't call and demand NFL Network now." Another targeting Cablevision, a provider in metro New York, warns, "Don't let Cablevision shut you out." The ad lists the channel's games and a toll-free number for NFL Network.

Time Warner Cable spokesman Mark Harrad says it "is still having discussions with the NFL Network." Cablevision's Marie Stenberg declined to comment.

Oi Sven, this article I've posted below is fresh off the sports wire pertaining to your very subject about the NFL Network appearing on Cable TV outlets such as Time Warner.

The NFL is preparing to launch a $100 million attack ad campaign over the next six months in an attempt to force cable TV operators to carry its NFL Network

channel, which will begin airing regular-season games in November.

If the cable providers don't sign up, the NFL will urge consumers to switch to satellite TV operators that carry the channel, NFL Network spokesman Seth Palansky says.

McCARTHY: More on the NFL ad campaign

The 2½-year-old channel also has basic cable and/or digital distribution deals with at least 75 cable operators, including Comcast, the nation's top cable provider, and reaches 41 million homes. With the NFL Network airing regular-season games beginning Thanksgiving night, the league thinks it has the leverage to force its way into 25 million more homes this season. The TV, radio, print and magazine ads, which will target cable operators by name, could begin as early as next week, Palansky says.

"We think it's asinine that Time Warner (the nation's No. 2 cable provider) carries 12 shopping channels and 50 other channels you don't want — but can't find room for one dedicated to the most popular sport in this country," Palansky says. "We're replacing the kid gloves with bare knuckles."

One ad aimed at Time Warner says, "Don't let Time Warner ruin your football season. You'll miss NFL games if you don't call and demand NFL Network now." Another targeting Cablevision, a provider in metro New York, warns, "Don't let Cablevision shut you out." The ad lists the channel's games and a toll-free number for NFL Network.

Time Warner Cable spokesman Mark Harrad says it "is still having discussions with the NFL Network." Cablevision's Marie Stenberg declined to comment.

730516[/snapback]

I made the switch to DTV, it will be installed in about two weeks.

Talked to an adelphia rep while he was resetting my HD box a few months ago and asked about the NFL network.  He seemed to think that the contract was tied to the local franchise and that if I had it now it would remain.  This makes some sense since if you review the adelphia line-ups by area the offering vary.  [ Plus it gives me some hope.  ;)  ]    Hope it's along term deal. 

730399[/snapback]

Yup. It will also depend on how the bankruptcy court jufge rules on the final reorganization plan. But, generally one cable operator taking over another operator doesn't change programming contracts already in place. The tune changes once those contracts expire. Chances are since NFL just got on Adelphia last year, it will be on for at least 3 more years.

730516[/snapback]

What this guy failed to mention is that the cable operators GET paid by the shopping networks to carry their network.

In the case of the NFL channel, the cable companies PAY the NFL per subsciber.

Thats why its cheaper for me to say i use comcast TV along with the high-spped internet. As long as Comcast can say im a subsciber, the money thay get per sub from stations like QVC is greater than the amount they pay to stations like ESPN per sub, so they make money on the deal.

TW has been negotiating with the NFL for the past 3 years without results, so I wouldn't expect a quick resolution. The change to TW is also affecting the Cleveland and Dallas markets, so Buffalo isn't alone in losing the NFL Network.