Spikes not happy with Witner selection

Spikes on Witner

has anyone else heard any public statments from Spikes with regard to this?

I haven't....so I was a bit surprised to read this.

Assuming Whitner doesn't stage a lengthy holdout, his No. 1 job in Buffalo will be to make his veteran teammates forget about veteran Lawyer Milloy, who was released by the organization in February. Although Milloy was well past his prime, he was greatly liked and respected by the remainder of the Bills' defensive veterans. Most prominently, two-time Pro Bowl linebacker Takeo Spikes has been somewhat publicly opposed to the selection of Whitner, since he was unhappy about the Milloy release

If this is true....

Hey Takeo.....take care of Takeo!

sounds more liek he was mad they cut Malloy.... and not really upset with Whitner at all.

but malloy costs a fortune and his production was declining.

728444[/snapback]

I can't remember.

was Milloy cut before the draft?

I can't remember.

was Milloy cut before the draft?

728447[/snapback]

i believe so.

and i think thats why the Bills HAD to take a SS, because there was noone on teh roster who could start for us at that position.

sounds more liek he was mad they cut Malloy.... and not really upset with Whitner at all.

but malloy costs a fortune and his production was declining.

728444[/snapback]

Plus he was becoming prone to injury.

Remember LM also made a statement along the lines of "I can't feed my family with Super Bowl rings." I find that to be quite disturbing.

I hope it is Spikes just showing allegiance toward one of his friends (LM) on the defense.  The guy is right though: Whitner should not  be holding out, get his azz to camp, and prove these vets that he can run with the big boys.

728446[/snapback]

from all i have read about Witner, he might be the first rookie i ever felt had the chance to still be productive and get away with missing a couple of days of camp.

i believe so.

and i think thats why the Bills HAD to take a SS, because there was noone on teh roster who could start for us at that position.

728449[/snapback]

Yeah, he was gone before the draft (Tampa I believe).

OTR--I thought the same thing as I read that statement. If Spikes did say something it wasn't made very public because I also have no recollection.

Spikes on Witner

If this is true....

728441[/snapback]

I think Byrne poorly worded this so that it comes out that Spikes didnt like the Whitner pick. I'm sure he was dissapointed with the release of Milloy, though I dont recall him making a big stink about this either.

Yeah, he was gone before the draft (Tampa I believe).

OTR--I thought the same thing as I read that statement.  If Spikes did say something it wasn't made very public because I also have no recollection.

728455[/snapback]

Milloy is in Atlanta. Does anyone no if Huff signed with Oakland yet? If Huff hasn't signed that is why Whitner hasn't signed.

Milloy is in Atlanta. Does anyone no if Huff signed with Oakland yet? If Huff hasn't signed that is why Whitner hasn't signed.

728460[/snapback]

Huff is signed and I think the number 9 pick Simms signed with Detroit also.

Huff is signed and I think the number 9 pick Simms signed with Detroit also.

728462[/snapback]

The Oakland Raiders and their first-round pick, safety Michael Huff, came to an agreement on Monday. The seventh overall selection signed a five-year deal worth between $22.5 and $26.5 million with $15 million in guarantees. Huff's contract also includes incentives that would make the former University of Texas star up to $43 million.

Anyone know how this compares to last years #7?

I hope it is Spikes just showing allegiance toward one of his friends (LM) on the defense.  The guy is right though: Whitner should not  be holding out, get his azz to camp, and prove these vets that he can run with the big boys.

728446[/snapback]

pretty tough to be holding out when you don't have a contract.

A pop up got through my blocker, and it seemed as if they were trying to send more.

I will never visit that site again.

728468[/snapback]

It happens all the time on that site. My pop up blocker works overtime everytime I visit. And what do I get for the annoyance? Very poorly written articles. Sadly enough I'll read anything that has to do with the Bills.

Personally, I think it was the right move to get rid of Milloy. Whether Whitner was the right selection or not, only time will tell. I hope the best for Milloy in Atlanta, but he had lost a step and his spark around here.

Spikes on Witner

If this is true....

728441[/snapback]

This writer has no sources. I don't know why this drivel is even posted on TBD. He basically writes what amounts to a daily blog on the net and TBD runs it on the front page.

Byrne is going by what he sees and writes on the internet with an occasional Q and A with a Bills player probably set up by calling the Bills media relations dept.

I don't mind Byrne writing this crap at all, however, the guy has ZERO sources, and tends to draw conclusions that he doesn't know if they are true or not. It sucks that because his articles are on TBD's front page, that some people actually think some of stuff is based on fact.

From all accounts, Whitner is highly thought of by most Bills players so far. London Fletcher has been a huge supporter of Whitner (publicly), and I remember TKO saying that Whitner was going to be a player in this league. Couple of other guys also had good things to say about Whitner.

Take this "blogger" for what it is. It's OK he writes it, but it's not really based on anything more than what Byrne can find on the internet. In fact, it often mirrors TBD's message boards.

What the hell does "somewhat publicly opposed" mean? This guy has a new article up every day, and needs to find something to write about.

These guys are pros. All they want to see is people earning their jobs and helping the team win.

I seem to recall a lot of players being "somewhat publicly opposed" to Milloy being cut in New England, by the way. Those players then proceeded to win a Super Bowl.